mtbr member
    Apr 2010

front derail issues

I have a Maverick Durance and I am running a xt crankset with the shimano r773 front derail. I am having a little trouble adjusting it so it is just right. I was wondering If you guys could offer any hints or suggestions about adjusting the front derail and how much chain rub should I expect from the front derailleur
    Thanks

Schipperkes are cool.
    When setup correclty, there is no rubbing.

What shifter?

More or less the inner cage will almost hit the Dmount & there will be more cable slack then you would think is normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am running an xt shifter

on your left

Upset

I too must be missing something. i have a ML7.5 and have had little to no trouble with the front derailleur for years. Recently i have been experiencing problems with down shifting. i can get it to shift flawlessly while on the bike stand, but experience issues when i put even the slightest of pressure on the chain when ridding. It does shift when I am sitting on the bike i.e. the bike is weighted, but only when coasting.
    i have replaced cables, housings & re-adjusted according to factory spec. I even recently took the bike to Excel in Boulder thinking a professional mechanic could solve the problem. They charged me $40.00 or so. I picked up the bike rode it in their parking lot, and still had the exact same issue. Their mechanics’ response was..... “well it’s a Maverick”, and “why don’t you call the factory”. WTF after being a loyal customer of theirs for years, I will never bring them my business again.
    HELP! Any suggestions would be so appreciated. My next step is to pull the cranks and check the derailleur pivot housing, not that i think it will help but it’s the only thing i can think of at this point

Schipperkes are cool.
    You used Excel & Professional in the same sentence...... $40 For a front derailleur adjustment?! Kick that guy in the shin.

Just come down to Salida and I'll fix it. The ride Salida Mountain Trails, Rainbow, Crest etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

on your left
    Live and learn, no more Excel. I ended up calling Maverick, luckily Ethan was more than happy to help me out. He suggested replacing the derailleur with the newer R773, and he offered to do the installation or suggested Dirt Labs in Boulder. How cool is that. Thanks Ethan
    Last edited by jmpilo; 09-05-2010 at 03:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I rode my bike with no air pressure in the rear shock really and noticed that the chain rubs on the front der cage when you get the bike squated most of the way down. Is that normal? I never noticed before I guess b/c I was not pedaling furiously when the suspension was cycling all the way, but I was just curious about it. It only happens when in the small chain ring and in a smaller than the biggest three in the cassette. It was weird though, other than that I never really had problems with the shifting in front.

mtbr member
    i had this too somewhere somewhen with my old xtr e-type der - the solution was to file something somewhere so that i could rotate the der anticlockwise a little and thus lower the lower end of the cage.

i seem to remember the d-mount / r773 combo solved this entirely, at least for me ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think I have the newer d-mount and some kind of flat bar triple front deraileur. I can look at it later. Yeah if it was rotated back a bit there would be no problem. It probably is only an issue b/c I had no air pressure though. I bet it won't matter anyway normally. Even with no air pressure it still did not rub except when I hit bumps.