mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Front 650b / 27.5 wheel on ML7, ML7.5 or Durance?

Hi,
    Has anyone tried a 27.5 wheel on the front of an ML7.5? I'm thinking of giving this a try - leaving the rear as a 26. Does the slight improvement of front wheel roll offset the slacker head angle?
    BTW, I'm running a SC32 fork.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    On the store I am working there is a sc32 with a ZTR Crest 650b and 650b tyre...
    I don't know it's performance since it is off the bike.

mtbr member
    i have tried a 650b wheel & kenda nevegal tyre on a durance/DUC32. this was back a few years, when the available tyres for 650b were not much larger than a high volume 2.4" 26", so i only had to reduce the travel on the DUC32 by around 12mm.

in a nutshell, any 650b/26" differences were clouded by the change in tyres necessary. today, where you can get a large volume 2.4" in 650b, this will be different.

your front end, going from a SC32 to a DUC32 with 650b will be significantly higher, around 45mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    your front end, going from a SC32 to a DUC32 with 650b will be significantly higher, around 45mm.
    45mm seems like a pretty drastic change. It seems that it might be best to change either the fork or the wheel but not both. Which do you think would give the most payback in performance? I'm leaning towards the DUC and keeping my Mavic 819's front and back.

mtbr member
    yep, just go with the DUC32 ...

mtbr member
    DUC From SC is only 25mm.
    Add the 650B, which is about 12-18mm
    So, about 40mm as stated
    BUT, what you gain is tremendous, I have converted a bunch of guys over to it with great accolades. On both ML8 and Durance's. Hope it works well for you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    I have converted a bunch of guys over to it ...
    you did this just by limiting the travel on the fork, right - not by increasing the a2c?!?

mtbr member
    + AVR 27.5 ... + IFP + shims + travel adjust modified .... and you a have a perfect fork !!! Love mine in 650B !!!
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    so no, not by increasing the a2c, correct?

'AVR' ?!?

mtbr member
    Correct not lowering the fork. Limiting travel by about 18mm.
    AVR is our "air volume reducer" to match a travel, like 27.5" or 29" wheel set up.
    We make custom spacers to match the travel which gives you the correct spring rate!

mtbr member
    I just got a 650b velocity blunt rim/mav hub front wheel/Racing Ralph 2.25, that I will be trying on my Durance and ML8.
    I will rebuild the DUC damper and air spring for a 650b wheel and give it a go.
    Any suggestions for a 200lbs rider?
    So the AVR is different then the 18mm travel reducer? Do you place it at the bottom of the air tube?
    Would increasing the oil volume do the same to the spring rate?

I think the steeper HA Durance might be the bike for it. I like the way my ML8 rides with light weight large volume 2.4 RR tubeless tires (they fit in the rear). The OD of the wheel ends up being closer to the 650b feel and I can run really low PSI which results in great comfort and traction.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Durance really benefits for the 650B and the 1 degree slacker head angle.
    While the Ml8 has the same starting head angle, you can run more sag in the rear, effectively giving a slacker head angle.
    The 18mm spacer on the outside of the cartridge just limits travel by that amount so the tire will not contact the crown.
    The AVR will accommodate the riders weight for the shorter travel. Yes, adding oil will do the same but will swap sides of the piston at some point, so go from the bottom of the tube to the top side, reducing the progressiveness of the spring curve. The AVR is a plastic part and get go anywhere or change!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    The AVR is a plastic part and get go anywhere or change!
    So, you place a plastic spacer/AVR at the bottom of the tube? is it a tight fit/fixed or does it float in the bottom of the air tube? What is the OD of the AVR/spacer and what thickness do you recommend for 200lbs rider?

Or alternatively how much oil would you recommend in the air tube?
    Last edited by voob; 09-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    is 18mm travel reduction enough for the really big volume tyres these days? i find i have to reduce the travel by 5mm just for 26" tyres ...

anyway, i would personally prefer longer stanchions (a la gweber) so that i can keep the travel