Thread: Forks for a 7/5

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Forks for a 7/5

Hi,

I've just purchased a large 7/5 frame and am considering what forks to use. I've got a pair of qr15 Float 140's spare at the moment- are these a reasonable choice for the frame?
    If they offer a real advantage, I could get either sc32's or duc32's secondhand, but going down this road means either the added expense of a new front wheel, and a new steerer (for the duc's - existing one's been cut), or using the Hope adaptor with my current spare wheelset.

Anybody able to offer any helpful advice?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Plug in the Float and go ride!

Schipperkes are cool.
    7.5 = Matic and designed for the SC32 with axle to crown of 495mm.
    You can run a DUC32 in it, but it changes the geo of the bike. You can roll with the Fox and have a freakingly good ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    cheers folks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    there is sentence on mavericks/matic site:
    Optimized design for 120mm - 150mm travel forks

i have ml7/5 and duc32 therefore i am intrested in this topic.
    if frame is optimised for range 120-150mm it imho means that it should be optimised for something in between - lets say 135mm. of course i can be wrong i dont have any idea how frames are designed
    there is another explanation that they put it there only to cover both forks they have produced.

mtbr member
    far more important than travel is the a2c height:

495mm for the SC
    511mm for the fox float
    521mm for the DUC

if you look at the website the matic has a 68.5 degree head angle (apparently to better suit the SC32), the durance 69 (apparently to better suit the DUC32) and the ml8 68.5 (to go with the DUC32).

i would presume these are all measured with the relevant maverick fork - but then why does the 125mm matic have a slacker head angle than the 140mm durance? perhaps to even out the lower travel of the fork? ... it doesn't really make sense to me ...

whatever ...

increasing the fork a2c by 10mm gets you roughly 0.5 deg. more rake on the head angle (i.e. slacker). do the math ...

there's some interesting chit chat here ... there is a probably a whole bunch of people riding the 7/5 (matic) with a DUC32 (including a close friend) and they probably all have no problem at all. it's certainly not forbidden.

but seeing as you have the fox float, i would just ride with that.

ragetty

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Not quite

Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    if you look at the website the matic has a 68.5 degree head angle
    That's only for the small. The others are 69 and that's with the SC A-C height. The Durance and ML-8 are 69 and 68.5, respectively, based on the DUC A-C height.

mtbr member
    i stand corrected - i guess i saw too many bike reviews and took the details there to be gospel ...

nonetheless, i still don't really understand why the the head angles aren't e.g. matic 69, durance 68 and ml8 67 degs.

i think my durance/DUC32 combo is fab, but i would like a little more rake for the fork.

ragetty