mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Durance vs. TNT 5 Spot

Maverick Owners: I am building a wife, son, friend and back-up bike for me when the trail is not up for a 29r. I am leaning towards purchasing a lightly used Durance frame, but not totally sure of the downside of Maverick bikes. Following are my impressions of the pros and cons of the Durance & 5 Spot

Durance:
    Pros: efficient pedaler, laterally stiff front and rear triangle, good small and large bump sensitivity. reliable, good geometry, great climbing and overall descending bike.

Cons: requires regular service, front derailleur is sensitive, parts harder to get in the future.

5 Spot:
    Pros: Fairly efficient pedaler, reliable, easy to maintain, parts are readily available, good descender.

Cons: Squats terribly in technical seated climbs, rear triangle can be a little flexy.

Any opinions, comments or real world riding experiences with both bikes is greatly appreciated.

CDIDriver

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I dunno about a 5 spot. I will say that it doesn't really require any more service than another bike though. Of course I have an ml8, but I doubt the difference would be huge in terms of service. I had a few other brands in the past, kona, trek, klein etc... and the maverick is not unusual in maintenance requirements.

I dunno how part availability will be in the future that is a risk.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Funny you ask, i just did a overhaul on a '07 ML8 recently and am doing one on a 5Spot that has 2500 miles from new, 1 year old.

Regular service on Maverick forks and suspension has the same maintenance requirements as Fox, Rock Shox, Manitou, White Brothers, etc.

Rear shock is damn near bullet proof and minimal parts wear out. MonoLink has servicable & easily replaceable cartridge bearings. Maverick forks have parts that are readily available from Ethan direct or through specified Local Bike Shops. Front shifting is old hat now that there are flat bar shifter front derailleurs; if you buy a Maverick ML7.5/Matick-Durance-ML8 and it has a Ultegra/Dura Ace/105 etc drop bar FD, swap it out with new stainless cable and SP41 Shimano 4mm housing. Shifting "problems" solved.

Now this 5Spot I have in my stand that has 2800 miles, about 1 year old comes in with unresolved chirping under travel. Links have been greased with the gun, etc. The RP23 has a stuttering feel to it in the top third of travel. Removed the rear end to find out All the shafts are worn with 1mm groves in them, bushings trashed and the only pieces that are not damaged are the yellow orings.

Boils down to your choice of cost, ride quality, no warranty as assuming bikes are used, and if you personally have the hands on ability to overhaul either bike or have a shop that is well versed with Mavericks like Absolute Bikes in Salida, CO. and Ethan at The Flow Zone in Denver.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.