mtbr member

Durance for Light Freeride

I know there are a few threads on the Durance vs ML8 for freeride use but wondering if anyone can chime in on the Durance for light all mountain / freeride use? There is a good deal on one I am looking at right now.

Looking for a 6" travel bike between 29-32 lbs for places like this:
    Highland Mountain Bike Park

My local trails feature some 2-3 foot drops and rock gardens but there is also lot's of climbing as well. Would the Durance be a good choice for this type of terrain? I am more of a hardcore XC type rider but want to start riding more challenging terrain and stuff like Highland.

I'm also considering a specialized enduro, Marin Attack Trial 6.8 (new - 2010) or a Giant Reign mostly because there are some good deals on them right now.

I know that Maverick has shut down recently so that is a consideration as well. The bike I am looking at has the DUC32 / Monolink and a nice mix of parts.

thanks....

mtbr member
    i have no idea about the terrain there, but AM, light freeride & occasional bike park (isn't that just enduro?) is pretty much how i would describe my use of the durance ... the frame and the DUC32 can certainly handle it (at least with my flyweight on the bike), but imho the 'stock' durance/DUC32 is not really suited to the 'freeride & bike park' end of that scale. also, the durance is not 6" - almost, but not quite ...

firstly, the head angle with the DUC32 is too steep, which is why i run mine with the fork bumped up with a 10mm high crown race and occassionally with a 650b wheel up front. secondly, ethan rebuilt and mod'ed the rear shock, so it is now a lot more supple almost all the way through the stroke. these both help a fair deal, esp. the shock mod.

i ran the durance with a fox talas 36 for a while last autumn, and that really helped move the bike 'toward' freeride without screwing up the geo - the 130mm a2c setting is more or less identical with that of the DUC32, and then there is still 160mm travel available for the steep.

i haven't ridden an ml8 in anger, but i expect the ml8 owners to chime in with their recommendation - the ml8 probably makes a lot more sense ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 02-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.

simple
    The Maverick team riders preferred the ML8 to the Durance out here at the Trestle Bike Park. I would recommend the same for Highland. You can do plenty big jumps on the Durance but for stuff with tough transitions and big drops it will crunch you.

Ambassador of Fun
    Jun 2008
    The bike can handle just about anything you throw at it. I tried to destroy mine by taking it to DH races and to Windrock in TN. It has survived 8ft step downs with hardly any lander to hugh gaps in big rock gardens. It's been to off the map trails in Moab and survived a day of crushing at Whistler Bike Park. I can say the durance was happy when I finally bought a DH bike but it took it all in stride. If you can ride smooth and handle the steep head tube angle the Durance is fine more than most people would ever give it.

If you have the option to go with a bigger bike I would. Just wanted to say the Durance 'will' take it.

I did pick up a new trail bike when I heard Maverick was no more. Anybody want to buy a Durance? Cheap. There are a still a few places that don't have scratches or dents.
    Capturing the Asheville Experience via photography, video and words.

www.justinasheville.com

mtbr member
    Just my .02, the ML8 is by far and away a better bike for any kind of riding other than "All Mountain to XC". All mountain to me is longer riders, lots of up and down, Hmmm XC....I still take my ML8, it just rides too well in all conditions unless your looking to sprint it all the time! As ragatty stated the geo on the Durance is not suited for any kind of DH with steep pitches. The ML8 is more than happy with a 160-170mm fork too! Good luck, let me know if and when you need to get a Maverick dialed in, i can make it DH ready!