mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Durance (2007) as a 69er with Manitou Tower 100mm fork?

A few weeks ago I put together my first fully rigid 29er - On-one Scandal to try something different.

Even with FAT tyres at low pressure though I quickly realized that 29" wheels don't compensate for lack of suspension.
    First I put a Thudbuster on and then Manitou Tower 100mm and although I really like the bike now, I miss my Maverick (still have the frame and never going to sell it ).

I was thinking about putting a AC 510mm 29" Manitou with a 29" wheel on to a Durance? (previously - Revelations 26", 140mm, AC 520mm)

My basic calculations show that taking sag into account, both forks would have the same height and the only difference would be in a wheel radius (31.5mm, 1.24").
    I guess I'd have to run more sag to compensate for that.

What about the effect of extra rake on handling and height?
    Last edited by Barteos; 02-06-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

mtbr member
    well, the extra rake will effectively make the fork more supple over bumps, but also make the bike turn more lethargically on twisting trails.

more height at the front might mean that the front wheel will lift more easily when going up steeps, but also that your position is more relaxed when going down the same. your bb will be higher too by roughly half the extra height at the front.

what about 650b? i've tried it on mine to get me 'some' of all of the above without the radical step up to 29" - the jury is still out on whether i like it, but i'm certainly going to ride that configuration this summer on lift-assisted freeride access ...

your only issue would be that the rs revelation doesn't fit a 650b ...

ragetty

Schipperkes are cool.
    It will be fine and may work better then you expected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks.
    Working on it and.. something else.
    If I have enough luck and determination, I may end up with a proper Durance 29er
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...