mtbr member
    Aug 2009

duc32 top crown removal help needed

hello there fellas
    I have just bought myself a ml8 and I am just taking some parts off to go to the powder coaters but i am having a hard time removing the top crown,I have all the bolts removed and the stem etc but it just wont budge, it appears to be hanging up on the top of the fork tubes almost as though they are a tapered fit? Has anyone else had the same problem and if so what is the trick to pulling it of??

thanks a lot

adrian

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What I do is use the plastic handle of a screw driver to tap upwards on the crown alternating sides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hey sxotty
    thanks for the reply, yes i have tried that and i have opened up the crown gently and hit it on both sides,it should slide right off i presume? it should come off without removing the fork tops correct? I have the manual with the scematic and dont see anything holding it on ?
    well this fella is jammed on there real good and i cant budge it,

Schipperkes are cool.
    turn bike upside down and use:
    Soft faced hammer.
    Hard face hammer and piece of wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hello there banks......... my name is adrian and I have my new Ml8 and I love this bike already after 1 week !!!...but this top crown is really jammed on there for some reason, I have hit it as hard as i dare with the above mentioned tools, have you guys been expiriencing any machining/tolerance issues in this area?

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No I haven't. I assume it isn't moving at all?

You took of the nut on the steerer right Just asking.

Also I never had to take off the bolts from the crown all the way. Just loosening them a bit always worked fine. You could get creative and try something weird with rope and pulleys. (I have only fiddled with 3 DUCs myself but no problems like you describe). Mine needed the whack of the screw driver handle (I hit it hard enough to chip plastic off the handle), but that was it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes all the hardware is removed,and the steering stem 8mm allen is out, It is just jammed on there solid right now,?? it almost needs some kind of puller??

Gentleman Loser

Elbow grease

You can also sit on your front wheel and just slap the handlebars upward.

Assuming that the upper bolt is out and the pinch bolts are loose, there's no reason to be afraid of hurting the fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks lads.....th crown is off but man i had to hit it really hard to get it off and it appears the coating on the fork tubes was sticking to the crown as it has pulled some of the coating off......bummer!!
    next question then!!
    how do you remove the graphics from the forks?. I read the other posting reguarding the new stickers and followed the advice of paint stripping the logos off the frame and they came of lovely leaving no marks on the hard anodizing, I was going to do the same with the forks but it appears they are coated with some type of powder?? maybe??
    Has anyone any managed to remove the fork decals successfully??

thanks

Gentleman Loser

Would you mind posting a photo of your fork?

Would you mind posting a photo of your fork?

It would seem, based on your comments, that your fork has been coated with something... unusual.

I've owned a number of DUC32s, and none of them had any sort of coating on them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had the opposite problem with mine earlier this spring - I couldn't get the crown down over the fork tubes. Took about three hours with a wood block, rubber mallet, lubes, grease and a dead blow hammer. I can only imagine that it will have the same problem as yours when I go to take it apart again.

I have an off color (brown-not sure what the factory colors are)and maybe it has been aftermarket coated? You can see mine here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hey there,
    i couldnt up load a pic but i popped it on my website ....you might have to scrole all the way down to the very bottom of the page........I dont think this is anodized, more of a coating which caused the problem, I wonder how i can get the graphics off the forks without damaging the coating as they are completly the wrong colour for the bike........ I know I'm picky !! sorry!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ejfiii
    I have an off color (brown-not sure what the factory colors are)and maybe it has been aftermarket coated? You can see mine here.
    That color fork came on the 2008 Trek 69er single speed. It comes set up for use with 29" wheel. Did you take the spacers out that limit the travel? These Trek specific forks also have an IFP from the factory in the damping cartridge which could cause problems if you take the 29" spacers out as the piston and IFP can bottom out on each other in the tube at full compression.

The trek:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...9ersinglespeed

The spacers:
    http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/...s/productID/19

Members who have read this thread: 0