mtbr member
    Jun 2005

DUC32: knock at top of travel

When it unloads, I'm hearing and feeling a knock/clunk noise. I'm ready to take it apart to put in new seals, etc. what would cause the knock...what should I be looking for?

mtbr member
    Most likely cause is Negative spring is becoming unclipped in the left leg.
    Dissasemble the Air Cartridge and crimp the spring onto the retainer.
    Check out the maverick troubleshooting and manuals page

Schipperkes are cool.
    Sometimes we need to add a oring between the air spring side seal head and the negative spring seat.
    What is the history of the fork? Time last overhauled?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Sometimes we need to add a oring between the air spring side seal head and the negative spring seat.
    What is the history of the fork? Time last overhauled?
    Overhauled the middle of last summer by a local shop, but it never felt right. I'll tear it down this weekend and see what's what. Thanks for the tips...

mtbr member
    I had the same thing happen to me a couple of times.

In both cases, I asked Ethan at Maverick and he said that was due to loss of pressure in the damper tube. You can quickly fix it by taking the damping side leg out and just checking the pressure in the damper tube (10 mn job - pressurize the damper tube at 60psi as recommended in the DUC32 fork rebuild manual - page 11). If it's low, pump it up, re-assemble and go test ride to see if that fixes the problem.

If it works, my recommendation is to get a rebuild kit from Ethan and rebuild the fork.

Happy trails.

Denis

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was planning on servicing it anyways...stopped by the Maverick shop a few weeks ago and picked up the clamping tools and a rebuild kit.

I'll go through it from top to bottom, but I wanted to get an idea of what to be looking for to cure the problem.

bike rider
    The coil negative spring also works as a top out bumper. The stock one has enough stiffness to resist a clunky top out, but I felt it made the fork sag too much. The next step lighter (4n/m) is great as a negative spring but too weak to prevent a harsh top out. I made a 2 stage rubber negative/top out spring that feels very nice.

Rebound damping clicks and oil weight also affect how hard top out is.

Too little air pressure in the damper will allow it to cavitate on rebound, losing damping and topping out harshly. I run 80psi.
    Keep the Country country.