Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7

    New question here. DUC 32 - is it worth the trouble?

    Hello
    I got a DUC 32 lying around in the attic from a Whyte 46 (2006 I believe). The bike was unused when I bought it back in 2009, since it was keept stored and forgot about in a bike shop basement. The DUC 32 is grey, and I believe it is the first model – which is more prone to problems if I’m not mistaken.
    Well, the fork was leaking oil after 3 months use and I removed it and put in storage for later upgrade.
    I have sold the Whyte 46 now and I think something is got to be done with the DUC 32.
    1) 29’er conversion and used for a Niner Jet 9 2013.
    2) 29’er conversion and used for a Fat Bike
    Either way something has to be done about the leaking seal, and by reading this forum it seems straight forward. But from my recollection riding the Whyte the forks has more faults as:
    1) Climbing mode not functional - may not be necessary in 29’er mode?
    2) Rebound adjustment made no difference to harsh rebound riding roots
    3) Brake dive was very bad! – but Internal Floating Pistons may solve this?
    Putting the fork on a new bike:
    4) Different head tube length on future frames – how is the fork adjusted for that?
    5) I need a new wheel, but I got the old maverick hub, so no problem there. But is it possible to fit other standard hubs in a DUC 32 or by doing easy modifications? I read once about a HOPE hub that could do the trick…
    So all in all this may sum up quite a bit, but a new nice FOX fork is also quite expensive so I might consider to upgrade my DUC 32.
    Biggest problem – I am based in Denmark… and no parts are to be found. I may be able to find the seals in a webshop in Europe but the rest is probably to be found in the States.

    So, do you guys think it’s worth the trouble?
    Kind regards, Lui
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DUC 32 - is it worth the trouble?-whyte46001.jpg  


  2. #2
    Schipperkes are cool.
    Reputation: banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,000
    Needs to be rebuilt. When the damper cartridge looses it's charge, climbing mode & rebound will not work and it will brake dive. Keep the Maverick hub, easy to replace common bearings, wide spoke flanges, knurled axle. Head tubes use different top crowns and headset spacers.

    MAVERICK - Manual PDFs

    Easy to service, easy to modify air and damper settings. If you need more help email Scot@absolutebikes.com in Colorado.

    ps, don't buy the Fox
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,641
    Ps: Fat bike tires will not fit on the DUC fork, do to the "Baseball bat" shape of the legs, you need the SC32 for that.

    Almost no clearance with a Nate tire.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    232
    I am currently running a DUC32 on my 2013 Jet 9 RDO and I love it. Ethan can connect you with a complete rebuild or any parts you may need.
    mavericksuspension@gmail.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Ps: Fat bike tires will not fit on the DUC fork, do to the "Baseball bat" shape of the legs, you need the SC32 for that.
    OK, I'll ditch the Fat plan then

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    Needs to be rebuilt. When the damper cartridge looses it's charge, climbing mode & rebound will not work and it will brake dive.
    Seems legit.

    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    Head tubes use different top crowns and headset spacers.
    OK. I found different top crowns on Ebay so I get the idea. That's great

    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    MAVERICK - Manual PDFs

    Easy to service, easy to modify air and damper settings. If you need more help email Scot@absolutebikes.com in Colorado.

    ps, don't buy the Fox
    Well, yeah... I think I'll try a complete rebuild then and do future service on my own.

    Customs and import tax is a hassle when buying from the States, even sending gear for service is a hassle and quite expensive.

    Is it possible to get a complete rebuild in Europe? With a 29'er conversion and Internal Floating Pistons?

    Regards, Lui

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: voob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    154
    Contact Alpamayo
    alpatech@free.fr

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Contact Alpamayo
    alpatech@free.fr
    Yup Done that and got an offer for a rebuild.

    I think I'll do that.

    One thing that I forgot to ask is the behavior of the fork:

    From my recollection is was very soft when pedaling hard while standing up and rocking the handlebars from side to side, witch basically made me sit down most of the time. My Talas 36 on my Covert tend do the same while my Reba 29 on my hardtail stays firm. Both forks are running at same amount of relative pressure = sag, but the do have different characteristics.

    How is the DUC 32 gonna behave with the IFP installed? Will the fork firm up will doing standing pedaling?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Alpamayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Lui V View Post
    Yup Done that and got an offer for a rebuild.

    I think I'll do that.

    One thing that I forgot to ask is the behavior of the fork:

    From my recollection is was very soft when pedaling hard while standing up and rocking the handlebars from side to side, witch basically made me sit down most of the time. My Talas 36 on my Covert tend do the same while my Reba 29 on my hardtail stays firm. Both forks are running at same amount of relative pressure = sag, but the do have different characteristics.

    How is the DUC 32 gonna behave with the IFP installed? Will the fork firm up will doing standing pedaling?
    Definitely !!!
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

    French Maverick Breeder

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble with e*13 TRS+ hub
    By historeeteacher in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 12:58 PM
  2. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM
  3. drcv worth the trouble?
    By drivengsxr1000 in forum Trek
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 11:43 AM
  4. 4x4 Trouble @ 909
    By pedaler845 in forum New York
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 04:59 AM
  5. Im having some trouble
    By dpugh5 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •