mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Duc 32 on an Intense Tracer VP?

Just recently heard about the Duc 32 and was wondering what i would need to put it on my 2009 Intense Tracer VP. My Tracer has the 1.5 head tube and i was wondering if that was an issue. Will it work with this frame?
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    It should work fine. I have one on my Niner WFO. The WFO has a tapered headtube and it fit fine. You'll just need either 1 1/8" reducers or a 1 1/8" reducer headset. There is plenty of clearance around the fork and crown for the larger diameter headtube itself.

Maybe someone can second my opinion just to varify.

mtbr member
    please make sure you put up a pic or two of the final build, i 'd be interested in seeing how they match up ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Re

I should know if i am getting the fork in a few days, if i do get it i will be sure to post some photos of it. I have a 2009 Rockshox Lyrik U Turn Coil on it right now and its great, but my bike with the Hammerschmidt, Command Post, and Marz Roco TST Coil tops 35-36lbs. Just trying to save a bit of weight. My fork is 5.7lbs and that Duc 32 is 3.9 so that should be great right there.
    The guy selling it has it on a bike with a 1.5 head tube. If all goes well, i am getting the fork, hub, and stem for $400.
    Anyways... i will write back. Just seeing for sure if it fits first.

let us know...

...how it goes. I'd be interested to see how you set it up, especially your headset solution etc. I have a DUC32 on my Nomad and love it. I'm currently dreaming about picking up a BLTc and I want to put my DUC32 on it. Hence the headset interest.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The fork is coming in today, then i have to lace up a rim with the new hub, etc.
    Should still be a while till i get this thing setup plus i am in no hurry.
    But i will definitely post back with photos when it is all done. Hopefully i like it. If not i am selling it and keeping my heavy as hell coiled Lyrik (5.75lbs). Well... maybe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    ...how it goes. I'd be interested to see how you set it up, especially your headset solution etc. I have a DUC32 on my Nomad and love it. I'm currently dreaming about picking up a BLTc and I want to put my DUC32 on it. Hence the headset interest.

Porch
    Porch,
    You said you were curious about my headset solution, well i am too. Seems my total stack height is 7in or so. Even with the high upper crown i am at 178mm which is too much.
    I have a Cane Creek Double X headset which is pretty thick. What other headsets can someone recommend which are way thinner or more plush to the head tube?
    Can't do anything till i get this solved, then i have to build up a wheel to the hub. Looking at the Stans ZTR Flow at 470g and 28mm wide.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    Hey Xno... I had a stack issue like yours on my old Nomad. Cane Creek had the lowest stack height headset available at the time, but that was for a 1 1/8". Have you looked into the Cane Creek XXc Flush 2? It has a total stack height of just over 10mm. It will also be converting your 1.5 to a 1 1/8" to fit your Duc.

Here's the link.

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?browse=type&type=traditional&cat=1-1-2-threadless&product=XXcFlushII

ohhh

good luck w/ your headset. I think the above suggestion sounds like a good one.

I didn't realize that the TracerVP had a straight 1.5, I thought it was tapered (1 1/8 - 1.5)

Porch.
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure I saw dave at Redstone Cyclery put a Duc on a Tracer. But I can't find the pic now. Might be worth droping him a line.
    http://redstonecyclery.com/index.php
    I was thinking a chris king would work, but it definitely looks thicker then the Cane Creek. Did you ever get it sorted?
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    I am pretty sure I saw dave at Redstone Cyclery put a Duc on a Tracer. But I can't find the pic now. Might be worth droping him a line.
    http://redstonecyclery.com/index.php
    I was thinking a chris king would work, but it definitely looks thicker then the Cane Creek. Did you ever get it sorted?
    I am still in the process. I am in no hurry so i am just cruising on it. I am going with the Cane Creek XXc Flush headset. My Cane Creek XX has a 28mm stack height where the XXc has like 10mm or something. My problem is that my Tracer has a 5.5in head tube (XL) and the CC XX being 28mm or so give it too big of a total stack height for even the large upper crown (up to 172mm total stack height) on the DUC 32. So when i get the XXc flush headset it saves me a lot of space. I might even be able to run the medium upper crown. I just have to wait and see when i get the headset first and measure it. Then i can buy a different upper crown, then put the DUC 32 on.
    Then.... i have get a new front wheel built to get the hub on. I have been looking at the Stans ZTR Flow cause it is 28mm wide, 470g, and from what i have heard, really stiff. Sounds good, i just need to get it rolling.

mtbr member
    So did you get a duc?
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yeah, i got a Duc 32 a while back. I was in no hurry to get it all setup, but it looks like it should be ready in about 2 weeks. My wheels are being built this coming week. I will be posting photos on it when its all setup.
    I had to get some stuff first before i could get it setup.

My new wheelset will be ZTR Flows with the Mav front hub and DMR Revolver 6 Pawl rear.
    Then my XL Frame couldn't use my Double X 1.5 headset cause the total stack height was too much so i bought a new Tall Upper Crown and Cane Creek XXcII (flush top, normal bottom) to save total stack height mm's.
    I have been buying lots of small things here and there because my Tracer is 36lbs and with this fork and all the other stuff i have been doing to it, it will knock it down to 32.5lbs.
    And 32.5lbs is still with my 3.5lbs of extra weight from my Hammerschmidt, Command Post, and Coil Shock.
    So 32.5 is not bad, 36lbs sucked.
    Photos coming hopefully in 2 weeks or so......

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Any pics yet?

Keep us updated!
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    Any pics yet?

Keep us updated!
    Nope, i just posted that reply like an hour ago. Shooting for late January....
    I will post photos for sure.
    One more thing... As of a few months ago when i contacted Maverick, they had never seen a Duc 32 on a Tracer VP so they were curious too.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Oh ok, I wasn't sure if you had taken pictures while you were putting it together.
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

Intense Uzzer
    How`s yer all`s French? DUC32 on Tracer vpp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rbOdQPh34

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dopaminer
    How`s yer all`s French? DUC32 on Tracer vpp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rbOdQPh34

Well, i guess i will possibly be the 2nd person to put a Duc 32 on a Tracer VP. Mine is black as well. I have the Duc 32 on the bike (frame and fork only right now), just waiting for my new wheelset to arrive (Maverick Front Hub / DMR Revolver Rear Hub / Stans ZTR Flow Rims). Can't wait to try this sucker out. My bike was 36lbs and all the new stuff i am doing (other stuff, not just Duc 32, etc) puts me in the 32.5lb range. And this is with an adjustable seatpost, Hammerschmidt, and coil shock. So I will be pretty happy to be out of the 36lb range and back in to an AM range.

Shooting for early February....

ride
    Check this one out. We built this one about a year ago. It's a small. Our customer has been riding it with 6" in the rear and loves it. He has a zero stack headset on there, too.

I've got another customer that currently has a Fox 140 on his Tracer but is thinking of taking the DUC off of his 29er and putting it on his Tracer. I'll post up a pic of that if/when it happens.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Intense Uzzer
    Awesome; awesome lines - I`m loving the look of that combo!

xnofriendsx, please do post photos when you get your rig built up; I`m dying to see the XL with the DUC32. And if possible, a close-up of the headtube area....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had to buy a Cane Creek XXcII Reducer headset to get it to work. My Cane Creek XX 1.5 had too much stack height even with the Tall Upper Crown. With one spacer in there it hooked up fine.
    But with that "no stack" headset, wouldn't that put you way too much over the front of the bike. I am too tall and need all the slack i can get. I even bought 2in riser carbon bars.
    Anyways... Maybe i will just get it all setup and take photos without the wheels so you can see what it looks like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Photos - Tracer VP w/ DUC 32

OK. Finally got my wheels finished and my bike put back together. So here are some photos of the finished product. Originally i had a Rockshox Lyrik (Coil) which made my bike 36lbs with all the stuff i have on it. This setup saved me 3lbs or so, so i am roughly around the 32.5-33lb range. This is fine for me because i run the Hammerschmidt (1lb extra), Rase Seatpost (1lbs extra), Coil Shock (1.5lb extra) and an XL frame. So... i might be under 30lbs, but i love the stuff i have on it.
    But anyways...
    What was done to the bike...

Fork: Rockshox Lyrik Coil swapped to Duc 32
    Headset: Cane Creek XX 1.5 swapped to Cane Creek XXcII Reducer
    Bars: Race Face DH Bars swapped to FSA Gravity Carbon Bars
    Pedals: Shimano M545 swapped to Syncros Traverse AM
    Wheels: Transition Revolution AM swapped to Stans ZTR Flow
    Hub: Swapped to DMR Revolver 6 Pawl in Rear and the Mav Hub up front
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor swapped to Continental MTN King 2.4 UST

I had to run the Tall Upper Crown to make it fit on my XL frame because the total stack height with headtube (5.5in) and headset was too much for a smaller size.

Here are the photos....

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I like it!
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    nice ...

the front end looks a little high (stem & bar), but then you might need it. i would have gone for the blue frame to match up with the blue on the fork (or at least no red), but that's just personal taste.

if there's one thing that doesn't look good, then it's the cable to the seat post - seeing as i don't "race", then i get along fine without the remote ...

however, still a very nice looking bike!!

what does the frame weigh (as opposed to it's listed weight)?

ragetty

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    nice ...

the front end looks a little high (stem & bar), but then you might need it. i would have gone for the blue frame to match up with the blue on the fork (or at least no red), but that's just personal taste.

if there's one thing that doesn't look good, then it's the cable to the seat post - seeing as i don't "race", then i get along fine without the remote ...

however, still a very nice looking bike!!

what does the frame weigh (as opposed to it's listed weight)?

ragetty

I am 6ft 4in, hence the high rise bars and standard stem. You should see my MX setup, way higher bars and mounts. I need it that high cause otherwise i am way over the front end on the DH. I already had the black frame so i had to get a black fork. I am in the process of getting the grey Intense Tracer VP stickers but $40 is a lot for the kit.

The cable to the seatpost looks worse than it is. It actually doesn't even move at all, but it is WAY better than my last adjustable seatpost and other ones that have the cable go up and down with the movement of the post. This new cable setup sits like that and barely moves even with the handlebars moving left to right. It comes with a really short cable and if i can get a new longer one, i can possibly route it into the bottom tabs on the top tube.

The weight for the XL Black Frame is...
    Frame XL with Fox RP23: 3280g - 7.23lbs
    Frame XL with no shock: 3050g 6.72lbs
    Frame XL with Marzocchi Roco TST R Coil: 4040g - 8.9lbs

In retrospect, i "might" have gotten the UZZI VP, but still happy with this Tracer VP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xnofriendsx
    The weight for the XL Black Frame is...
    Frame XL with Fox RP23: 3280g - 7.23lbs
    Frame XL with no shock: 3050g 6.72lbs
    Frame XL with Marzocchi Roco TST R Coil: 4040g - 8.9lbs
    hmm, not so light ... in M this would of course look somewhat different ...

Quote Originally Posted by xnofriendsx
    In retrospect, i "might" have gotten the UZZI VP, but still happy with this Tracer VP.
    i have also been tempted but have so far resisted - principally because this would have meant an entirely different fork requirement to the DUC32 (at the moment anyway).

now go out an get it dirty!!

ragetty

mtbr member
    Holy Cow, looks like a perfect match.

Intense Uzzer
    Thanks a lot xnofriendsx; great photos, wicked-looking ride. Great shots of the headtube set up, very clear. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dopaminer
    Thanks a lot xnofriendsx; great photos, wicked-looking ride. Great shots of the headtube set up, very clear. Thanks again.
    I am doing a ride tomorrow AM with the GoProHD camera (with chest mount). Should be some interesting stuff. Hopefully it rides well. I have never ridden the Duc 32 yet and this will be the first ride on it. Maybe some video posted tomorrow....

mtbr member
    Looks really good!
    A few tips:
    Your wheel magnet is going to move up and down and the pick-up unit will not!
    The front brake cable is going to catch on the tires as it comes up, careful...
    Make sure that the headset inner compression ring is fully engaged by the steerer shaft nut.
    I'd be curious to know the H/A of that set-up.
    That's all, enjoy!
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F
    Looks really good!
    A few tips:
    Your wheel magnet is going to move up and down and the pick-up unit will not!
    The front brake cable is going to catch on the tires as it comes up, careful...
    Make sure that the headset inner compression ring is fully engaged by the steerer shaft nut.
    I'd be curious to know the H/A of that set-up.
    That's all, enjoy!
    Yup, just found out on the ride yesterday about the wheel magnet.
    Can i set it up with the pick-up and magnet on the back wheel?
    Yup, front cable did rub on the tires, i forgot to attach the upper cable router.
    The headset is pretty snug and tight, did something look wrong in the photos?
    Not sure of the head angle, i don't have a way to check it.

mtbr member
    I cannot tell from the photo's, it's either right or wrong. Again, the steerer shaft nut needs to fully engage the compression ring for full support. make sure to look in the fork manual the drawing of the correct install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Duc 32 on an Intense Tracer VP?-duc-computor-mount.jpg  

Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I cannot tell from the photo's, it's either right or wrong. Again, the steerer shaft nut needs to fully engage the compression ring for full support. make sure to look in the fork manual the drawing of the correct install.
    Maybe i have this setup wrong, I don't know, but...
    What is the compression ring? Is that on the headset or the upper crown?
    How i have it setup is the headset, then a carbon spacer, then the steerer shaft nut, then the upper crown. The only minimal space is between the top of the steerer shaft nut and the bottom of the upper crown. Just a tiny tiny bit where the top of the steerer shaft nut comes in contact with the underside of the upper crown.
    Should i NOT put a carbon spacer in between the headset and steerer shaft nut?

Check the photos at the bottom, they are the most detailed. I have larger full res ones if not.

mtbr member
    It appears fine? Typically you can use a maximum 5mm spacer only. The compression ring is the split ring between the headset top cap and the bearing.
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It appears fine? Typically you can use a maximum 5mm spacer only. The compression ring is the split ring between the headset top cap and the bearing.
    Yeah, it is fine then. I have a 4mm spacer in there and the steerer shaft nut is on pretty tight. But i think i will go ahead and double check it all now, you guys got me worried.
    I think overall my Coil Lyrik was a bit better on the plush feeling, but this fork feels still pretty stiff. It is just a bit more jumpy and a bit more harsh, hard to explain. The carbon bars are great though. I need a few more rides on it though. The ride we did was mostly mellow, once the snow melts, we hit the heavy stuff. But decent so far. My overall purpose was to shed some weight....accomplished, and to make it still decent on the downhills....accomplished, so far.
    Now when is that DUC 36 gonna get put into production.

mtbr member
    hey,

are you still riding this rig?

i have an option on a tracer VP, am considering a similar bulid ...

cheers, ragetty

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey,
    Sorry for not replying sooner.
    I would not recommend this setup. The fork is just too XC. They said it was stiff and it was the flexiest fork i have EVER seen. Crazy flexy. Plus it needs to be a longer fork for 160mm. It puts you too over the bars. I ended up going back to Fox Vanillas. Way heavier, but just soooo much better. But then again it is a coil.
    Not really too impressed.

Members who have read this thread: 0