mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Double chainring on a Maverick

Hi,

my crankset is shot and I need to buy a new one. I have been following the whole double-chainring with a 10 speed cassette thing and I was wondering if anybody has been doing it.

From what I have read the benefit of running a double-chainring is that it provides more reliable and easier shitfing, which would most definitely helps on a maverick. I know the hammerschmidt is also available, but there is significant cost associated with that.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    there are a few comments around here somewhere already on the topic of 2x? ... i believe banks had 2x9 on his ml8 (correct?).

you can of course use standard 3x9 parts - i'm sure you know already, it's just a case of ditching a ring, limiting the travel of the derailleur and juggling spacers to optimise the chainline for both remaining rings. i can easily believe that front shifting issues are less common ...

yes, the HS is not cheap, but then neither is XTR or even a new complete 2x10 set-up. probably the biggest deal-breaker for many is the gain in weight with the HS, but (of course i have to say this) i am *really* happy with the HS on my durance. i'll be going for a HSx10 set-up soon (meaning new rear shifter, cassette and derailleur).

one thing i notice about my current HSx9 is that i now truly use all of the cassette in both direct and overdrive on the HS, so i'm shifting at the front less often. with the previous 3x9 then chainline issues meant more front shifting - 2x? should bring similar benefits, i think ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 09-28-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Schipperkes are cool.
    I have a Hammerschmidt and or the 1.9lbs heavier, it is the schit!

Now for 2x10/2x9 it should not be a problem, and there is a shaved Dmount Brand new Dmount for bash guard! that is designed for running single ring/bash guard and that might work really slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    I have a Hammerschmidt and or the 1.9lbs heavier, it is the schit!

Now for 2x10/2x9 it should not be a problem, and there is a shaved Dmount Brand new Dmount for bash guard! that is designed for running single ring/bash guard and that might work really slick.
    Banks, why is it the ****!, I believed you were enjoying it on your ML8 ??
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpamayo
    Banks, why is it the ****!, I believed you were enjoying it on your ML8 ??
    Yes, the schit! is a good schit!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Yes, the schit! is a good schit!

My before ML8 was 29lbs tripple/Duc32, After Hammerschmidt/Magura Wotan 33lbs(fork alone is almost 2lbs difference) about to loose 2more lbs soon. But even at 33lbs it's just the Schit!