mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Destructive to ride DUC32 w/out damping?

Hey, folks:

I'm currently on a riding vacation, and think that my DUC32's damper needs an oil refill -- I'm getting top-outs, and the rebound damping knob doesn't seem to be having any effect. In addition, looks like my fork seals have been leaking (I think I have the original leaky seals). Fortunately the oil hasn't come out violently enough to get onto my brakes and cause any problems there.

Here's my question: Am I at risk for seriously damaging the fork if I ride it in this condition for a couple of days, assuming I'm mostly sticking to relatively smooth trails? I have the option of renting a bike to ride (already used that option for a couple of days riding), but I'd rather ride my own bike if it's not going to be a serious problem.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Where are you on vacation?

It's not the best idea as you can damage the internals of the damper cartridge. There are internal top out bumper, but they are not that big.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Where are you on vacation?

It's not the best idea as you can damage the internals of the damper cartridge. There are internal top out bumper, but they are not that big.
    I was in SW Utah, just got to Fruita a little while ago, and will probably be here a couple of days before heading to the Front Range to visit one of my gf's friends, then on home to Boston.

Thanks for the answer -- that's about what I expected. I think tomorrow will be my last day of riding, so I'll probably just rent a bike one more time.

Schipperkes are cool.
    IF near Golden, call Maverick
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member

What was the verdict?

OP - did you reach a conclusion on your originally reported problem? I seem to have the same....loss of rebound damping and oil present on the lower seal on the right (as I sit on the bike) stanchion. Curious to know what it was.... Mine is a 2007 and I've been very pleased with it and want to keep it for a while.