mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Date with an ML8

So a funny thing happened on the way to build up the Durance frame I got...started paying attention to some of the comments about just getting an ML8 and getting over it. So when this frame was available I jumped on it and just used the parts I was rat hole-ing for the Durance...just got it done last night, some burn in the brakes runs down the street and a trip down the street to some rolly paths / trails in the neighborhood and I'm loving it. I rode my Palomino enough to be familiar with the general feel of the the suspension, but this is truly something else. Pretty sure I made the right decision.

Looking forward to some real trail time on this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice!

What was said to sway you towards the ML8 in the end?

mtbr member
    Nice. But you need to put a DUC32 on that thing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Or hopefully PD is saving his pennies for a DUC 36C. Mwwwwaaaaahhh hahahahahah!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So I was able to get out and hammer on some fire roads at least and get a feel for this bike. First thought is it cimbs better than the Palomino, is just waaay more solid in all aspects. Super solid and stiff when descending, point it and it goes, this at good speeds too. Can't wait to get it on to some real single track.

My only issues at the moment are with the shifting which is horrendous at this point ( probably in large part to user setup error), and my only real worry - how hard and quick the rear end tops out. This is just even basic bunny hopping or skip jumping over the raised fire road centers. As soon as you really unweight anywhere the rear slams / thunks pretty hard. It will do that just compressing the rear at stand still too. I'm probably 179 - 180 with clothes and pack running the rear at 155 psi.

That aside - when the bike is running down hill either seated or standing its pretty fricken sweet. Full magic carpet ride. Work out my shifting and shock top out issue and I'm good to go here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You bought a used frame right? It should not be topping out like that in the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty
    You bought a used frame right? It should not be topping out like that in the rear.

yeah, got it used. previous owner said the rear shock was recently serviced, not sure on who did the service - possibility something didn't go back together correctly? I can't imagine this is normal. Everything else seems to be fine.

Take Chances
    Portland Maverick owners unite!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    well, problem solved for the most part. Hooked up with a super cool fellow forumite and Maverick owner tymelero who helped quickly diagnose what was not up. Bottom line is cartridge appears shot and needs to be serviced. Ethan told me as much when I described the gurgling sound the shock made when compressed and the slam felt when it tops out. Ty's bike was right there for comparison - entirely different deal. The bright side is he had a spare shock there and was able to get me up and running while mine gets worked on - beyond cool. now for a chat with the previous owner...heh, caveat emptor.
    either way, I met a great person tonight and have a killer bike that will get used. lifes pretty good. That DUC fork on his was pretty badass though...rrrrgghghhh

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tymelero
    Portland Maverick owners unite!

Unite your help was / is very appreciated man - super stoked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You coulda gotten one of the orange frames brand new They were very reasonably priced last I looked. Still it seems everything will end up ok.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty
    You coulda gotten one of the orange frames brand new They were very reasonably priced last I looked. Still it seems everything will end up ok.

yeah but it would've been orange and still lots more than I'm tied up with now.

Got out on a legit few miles of trail and this bike just smokes. Unfreakingreal. Snow and mud and dry and wet and slippery and grippy - it was kind of all there and the bike exceeded expectations. Almost felt bad for anybody not riding one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I agree about the orange, it explains the price. I woulda got one though anyway instead of the used frame myself if they had been that cheap at the time I got mine. I do like the green I have instead quite well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Twisted Sister

Finally stopped raining. Sun finally came out for the first time in over a month (really). Made it up to Sandy Ridge fired up to ride. Everything seemed fine. Literally 75 feet past the BLM gate on the road I shifted to a bigger cog, felt a lurch and a hard to describe feeling of pressure but little resistance, then seizure. I knew it was bad before I ever looked at it - managed to tear the derailleur clean away, twisted and destroyed chain...my buddy looks at me and deadpans "bummer dude..got a book you can read for an hour???" Just dejected all the way around...yeah, I've got an extra hanger, at home.

So I walk the 75 feet back to the car, just pissed...accepting the malfunction was likely due to user error / setup. I've been having shifting issues... Change out of my riding stuff, and start loading up the car.

Then I think about how I'm gonna have to listen to my buddy spew about how much fun the trail was and just said F this, I won't be denied. Chain is already destroyed so going short isn't an issue. Plenty of tools and McGrueber skills present. Put the chain over the middle ring and found a rear cog that I could get the chain back together with but would still be manageable. Clipped the end of the D cable and pulled the derailleur off, removed the twisted D hanger remains and duct taped the cable to the chain stay.

I've been thinking about a single speed, well here was my chance to put my money where my mouth is. Ended up doing three laps up there with three steady climbs under single speed power. Chain is toast and would bind occasionaly. Never dropped a chain. The fact that I didn't drop it or break it again is testament to the design of the suspension present and the minimal chain growth. I think with the right gears single speed is a pretty cool option.

So after looking at the Maverick trouble shooting guide I probably hit both of the bullet points for hanger breakage: incorrect chain length and probable derailleur adjustment issues. Other thing is the chain was broken and twisted so badly I don't know if this happened before the hanger brake or not? I do know that my XT shifters and XTR derailleur are the last hold over parts from my old bike, the XTR RD probably needs help. I'll probably just get a new XT derailleur, but am also considering switching over to a SRAM X.9 shifter / derailleur set up. At this point its almost comedy.

In the end I was a happy camper, got to ride a bunch after all and just love this bike.

Take Chances
    Quick thinkin' Tex

Schipperkes are cool.
    Well known that OEM Maverick hangers are soft and tear when impacted or the rear derailleur is intertwined into the spokes.
    Mare sure to use Wheels Manuf Hanger #80 and aways carry a spare with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bummer about the chain pigdog! Good thing you were able to still pedal it! Not that you're thinking about singling your ML8, but I used a Rolhoff tensioner when my mav's were FSSS's. Still need to run something up front too, like a D-mount and FD.
    http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/sp...ner/index.html

Happy trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    60 days and a bunch of rides and miles in its safe to say the honeymoon is over. Got all the minor bugs worked out, shifting is spot on, suspension is dialed. My twisted off rear derailleur was replaced with an XT shadow, new rubber with Conti Trail King 2.2's, rebuilt damper loaded in...I couldn't be happier with this bike - its straight up freaking awesome, makes me almost feel bad for those that don't have them. Big thanks to Ethan, Banks and Ty for the help and parts. Off to ride