mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Creaky Near the Bottom Bracket

I have a 2009 fast blue Durance. I built it up around Christmas time and rode a few times on the snowmobile trails and didnt hear a thing. Just recently I have brought it out and in the past week ridden most days for over an hour each day.

I started to hear a creaking noise not just when I was seated but also when I was standing just pedaling. If I cycle the suspension I dont hear the noise, just when there is a fair amount of torque on the bike. I also can get it to creak by holding the bike and pushing hard on the cranks with my arms.

I took the cranks off and tightened the bottom bracket and then the cranks and I still have the same consistent noise.

Any info or ideas would be great, Thank You.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VT_Rips
    I have a 2009 fast blue Durance. I built it up around Christmas time and rode a few times on the snowmobile trails and didnt hear a thing. Just recently I have brought it out and in the past week ridden most days for over an hour each day.

I started to hear a creaking noise not just when I was seated but also when I was standing just pedaling. If I cycle the suspension I dont hear the noise, just when there is a fair amount of torque on the bike. I also can get it to creak by holding the bike and pushing hard on the cranks with my arms.

I took the cranks off and tightened the bottom bracket and then the cranks and I still have the same consistent noise.

Any info or ideas would be great, Thank You.
    Monolink bearings .... poor quality and reduces lifetime, change them for SKF or INA
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thank you Alpamayo, surprising that their life time isn't to long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If your bike was put together at Christmas then it is unlikely it is the bearings.
    Their life isn't anywhere near that short. I have never even replaced mine and my bike is like a 2006. I would try and figure out what is causing the problem if it were me.

mtbr member

Things to look at

Make sure your rear QR is tight, i recommend skewers without nylon bushings.
    Make sure the der hangar is tight.
    Although the bearings should not be done yet, check anyway, make sure all parts are coated in Marine grease, and MonoLink bolts/nuts are red locktited and torqued to 120in/lb. If you take out the MonoLink, might as well remove the rubber bearing seals and inject grease into them, coat the seals on the outside before reinstalling the Link.
    Check the make sure the brass beaing caps are tight into the frame. Not known for creaking on the new frames. but if loose in the frame will tend to creak, remove if loose and reinstall with green locktite.
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F
    Make sure your rear QR is tight, i recommend skewers without nylon bushings.
    Make sure the der hangar is tight.
    Although the bearings should not be done yet, check anyway, make sure all parts are coated in Marine grease, and MonoLink bolts/nuts are red locktited and torqued to 120in/lb. If you take out the MonoLink, might as well remove the rubber bearing seals and inject grease into them, coat the seals on the outside before reinstalling the Link.
    Check the make sure the brass beaing caps are tight into the frame. Not known for creaking on the new frames. but if loose in the frame will tend to creak, remove if loose and reinstall with green locktite.
    Quick question for Ethan or others in the know... I have an old ML7 (2001 with the machined rear shock body and magnesium link) and also have a creaking sound. My manual says the torque on the MonoLink bolts/nuts is 75 in/lb. Is this still correct, or is it 120 in/lb as stated above? I overhauled it about a year ago with fresh bearings and installed the brass caps and recall that they fit in the frame a bit loose. I'll use green loctite as suggested but want to make sure I have the correct torque on the bolts/nuts.

As a side question, is the newer alloy MonoLink a direct replacement? Does it work with the older air/oil/coil shock? Thanks for any advice, still loving the Maverick after nine years.
    Last edited by g_henrys; 05-18-2010 at 10:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My Matic creaks sometimes but it's always been the seatpost. I lightly grease it and it goes away.