3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009

Climbing Mode Busted?

Out riding today and the climbing mode on my DUC32 would not hold. It worked fine on Monday while riding so I think I busted it today. Before trying it today I did take a drop that used up about 95% of the forks travel. Could that be what busted it? More importantly I would like to know if it being inop has any affect on the ridability of the fork? It seemed to feel normal for the remainder of our ride. Could I be causing more damage by continuing to ride for a while?
    I already had plans to have the fork gone through by Scot at Absolute when my riding season ends(late August). Should I be OK till then or should I stop rirding it until its fixed?

Thanks, Curtis

bike rider
    You mean turning the knob to the short travel position has no effect on feel?
    Have you ever taken the damper apart? I suggest you do. It takes no special tools but have some 5wt oil on hand if you want to keep it stock or go 7wt for more damping (I mix 5 and 7 equally). Here's the directions:
    http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_15.pdf
    Keep the Country country.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    When I turn the knob to short travel the fork still returns to full extension. The knob still turns the internals because it comes up slower(2-3 seconds to full extension) than when the knob is set to normal. I did not try to ride while the knob was set to short travel. Once I realized it wasn't working I turned it back to normal and finished the ride.
    As far as I have gone in is to adjust air in the damper cartridge.

bike rider
    It is such a simple mechanism that you should be able to visually find the problem once it's all disassembled.
    Keep the Country country.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Ok you convinced me. I have read quite a bit about how easy these are to take apart.
    I pulled it down this morning and found a piece of machining debris holding the shim off of the piston. Clean it up, topped off the oil, and back together. Works great now. Kinda suprised I couldn't feel much difference in the ride with the shim being held open all the time.
    Thanks for talking me into looking inside, it is a simple system. I would think the air side would be at least as easy to service as the oil.

Thanks Again,
    Curtis

Schipperkes are cool.
    Low pressure in the damper cartridge?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Low pressure in the damper cartridge?
    The pressure had dropped from the 80psi I had in it. Lost about 30psi in 2 months time.

Curtis

Schipperkes are cool.
    Hmm, there are really small o-rings around that shaft; oil level @ 63mm height?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Members who have read this thread: 0