HAHA PWN

Chain Guide issues?

Hi. I got a ML7 that have the older MonoLink on it. The cable keeps coming off when the trail gets aggressive. I think I can get away with a single ring. Have anyone used any sort of chain guide such as the MRP Lopes with ease? Thanks ahead of time.

mtbr member
    i'm going to bump this up rather than opening a new thread ...

on my ml8 i'm running 1x10. the set-up is an absoluteblack 'chain retaining' (a la sram xx1) 30t chainring coupled to a 11-42 cassette (sram 1070 + General Lee adapter). shifting is via a sram x9 type 2 medium cage. at the moment, without any sort of chainguide ...

last weekend comprised a 2-day tour in the alps. on saturday AM the clutch on the rear deraileur failed, the deraileur then only provided 'remnant tension', so that the chain was dropped as soon as the going got a little rough. and that on the one weekend when i really wanted to let the ml8 rock & roll

anyway, here's my question:

is anyone aware of any upper 'chain retention' gizmo that attaches to the bolt/noodle on the monolink?

thx ...

mtbr member
    maybe something like this?

mtbr member
    Find the thread "possibly the best Maverick 1X setup?" that I posted last November. It shows pix of the Widgit chain ring that I installed along with the Bionicon C-guided. I have put at least three hundred miles on the setup and it's still very solid with almost no chain slap. I have yet to drop a chain. BTW I love the simplicity of the 1X9.

mtbr member
    thx for responding ...

i had already seen that thread and had already checked out the widgit - i can't/won't use it for 2 reasons:

firstly, i have a sram s1400 crank with a spiderless chainring from absoluteblack (see also mrp bling ring, direct mount chainring from nsb, etc.), so no 'standard' bcd.

secondly, in the era of 'xx1-style' chainrings with the alternating tooth profile, i don't really see how the widget provides any 'chainguiding' benefit (except of course protection).

my solution is probably going to be the mrp amg g3 ...