Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149

    Ceramic coated DUC32

    I recently enlisted the the help of Ethan, Suspension Experts, and STB Performance coatings to revitalize a used set of forks I aquired. I am pleased with the results and wanted to showcase the work these folks did for me as I felt this may be of interest to others, especially the coating of the stanchions.

    STB performance coatings~Home

    Suspension Experts Home Page

    mailto:mavericksuspension@gmail.com

    Roger at STB Performance Coatings is a fellow member here on the forum and goes by crazy8 http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=434234 . He did a phenomenal job and is a real pleasure to work with, I highly recommend his work.

    Kevin at Suspension Experts is another asset to anyone in search of shock and fork tuning expertise as anyone who has dealt with him can attest. He has done a DUC32 for me in the past with the IFP and Headlocks and that fork still runs superbly, great guy.

    Ethan worked his magic on the dropouts re-pocketing the seats for the quick release bolts and replacing the aluminum clevis's with the new stainless pieces.

    All in all, I think it looks good. I very much appreciate the help guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ceramic coated DUC32-whiteduc.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    473
    very nice!

    i presume the rest of the bike is going to more or less suit?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    52
    very nice . More photos?

  4. #4
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    very nice!

    i presume the rest of the bike is going to more or less suit?
    my bike is pretty cool, but the forks may end up being the nicest part.
    Quote Originally Posted by stamatis View Post
    very nice . More photos?
    I'll take more pics and post them when I get home.

  5. #5
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    I had an orange Titus El Guapo that I recently sold ( pic in the show your Maverick sticky ) an now ride a Mountain Cycle Zen II. The MC is 140mm travel a single pivot having a variable rate eccentric driven shock via an intermediate link. It was designed by the designer of the Yetti SB-66.

    My pics aren't that great as I don't own a dedicated camera so my appologies. I'll post a photo in the sticky once I get my decals and the fork installed on the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ceramic coated DUC32-zenside.jpg  

    Ceramic coated DUC32-ducback.jpg  

    Ceramic coated DUC32-ducside.jpg  

    Ceramic coated DUC32-ducstanchions.jpg  


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068
    I can't wait to see it when it's all done. Ceramic-coated stanchions, eh? Serious stuff, man.

  7. #7
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
    I can't wait to see it when it's all done. Ceramic-coated stanchions, eh? Serious stuff, man.
    It was very reasonable. I thought this may be of interest to DUC owners who may have scuffed or scratched stanchions. I aim to follow up with long term durability reports when I clock some hours on these. Roger at STB has done this for other forks and has always heard positive feedback, improved performance / less stiction. I'll get him in here if anyone has questions or interest.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Loving it

    Did the coating make it to the inside of the fork tubes too? Reason I am asking I have a small positive air chamber leak. There must be fine line scratches I cant see. After complete overhaul s-valves, o-rings and cleaning the leak is slower but still there. If I can get get a custom color and fix the fine scratches I consider that a win/win. If not I will hit up Ethan for a new air tube, maybe piston and air rod while I am at it.

    Cheers

  9. #9
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by frcnducted View Post
    Did the coating make it to the inside of the fork tubes too? Reason I am asking I have a small positive air chamber leak. There must be fine line scratches I cant see. After complete overhaul s-valves, o-rings and cleaning the leak is slower but still there. If I can get get a custom color and fix the fine scratches I consider that a win/win. If not I will hit up Ethan for a new air tube, maybe piston and air rod while I am at it.

    Cheers
    I havn't had the fork apart and I only asked him to do the stanchions so I suspect not, however I see no reason why he could not do it for you. Stanchions are a tricky part to coat as the surface smoothness, durability, and the thickness of the coating have to be within a pretty tight and uniform tolerance. Roger states that this is where ceramic is superior to powder coat.

    Contact him and ask, he is a super nice guy and I'm sure he'd have no problem taking the time to talk. If he can't help he'll tell you straight, but it sounds like he probably can.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ethan F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    328
    We do have new air tubes if needed. Check a couple other things first.
    -Remove the main air piston and replace the 1x9 o-ring and re-locktite the piston back on.
    -very carefully look at the top of the air rod, look for a micro crack at the serrated edges.
    -to insect the air tube, clean it thoroughly with alcohol then look at with light shining from the back for scratches or scores.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crazy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    796
    Been very busy doing some remodeling of my shop and haven't had time to check out the forum, so while checking today I happenstance upon your thread Jon. I appreciate your generous comments, particularly that I'm a nice guy, although my wife may differ that. The forks look great after Ethan got them together with his tune and upgrades. Red really set's it off. I need to check the forum out more often. If I don't respond to post shoot me a email to get my attention.

    We have installed new equipment for the ability to easier coat larger pieces. We now offer frame coating services. The ceramic is a great alternative to those looking for something different from paint and powder-coat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I recently enlisted the the help of Ethan, Suspension Experts, and STB Performance coatings to revitalize a used set of forks I aquired. I am pleased with the results and wanted to showcase the work these folks did for me as I felt this may be of interest to others, especially the coating of the stanchions.

    STB performance coatings~Home

    Suspension Experts Home Page

    mailto:mavericksuspension@gmail.com

    Roger at STB Performance Coatings is a fellow member here on the forum and goes by crazy8 http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=434234 . He did a phenomenal job and is a real pleasure to work with, I highly recommend his work.

    Kevin at Suspension Experts is another asset to anyone in search of shock and fork tuning expertise as anyone who has dealt with him can attest. He has done a DUC32 for me in the past with the IFP and Headlocks and that fork still runs superbly, great guy.

    Ethan worked his magic on the dropouts re-pocketing the seats for the quick release bolts and replacing the aluminum clevis's with the new stainless pieces.

    All in all, I think it looks good. I very much appreciate the help guys

  12. #12
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    You did a fantastic job on these, they're really sharp looking.

    I was planning on shooting an email your way once installed on the bike. I got some custom decals made and picked them up today. The bike should be together in a week or so, I'll make sure to grab your attention when I have pics.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    473

    fit problem with crown?

    it has just occured to me - assuming the h-frame coating has any significant thickness - that you might have a fit problem in that the upper crown will no longer slide over ...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crazy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    796

    Fitment

    There will be no problem with fitment. The coating is ideal where tolerances are close. The ceramic will be less than the original powder-coat finish. Our ceramic applied to stanchions will be the same as OE at approx 0.50 to 0.75 ml. The H-tube has a dbl coat of ceramic with a ceramic gloss coat and will be approx 1.50 ml.


    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    it has just occured to me - assuming the h-frame coating has any significant thickness - that you might have a fit problem in that the upper crown will no longer slide over ...

  15. #15
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    I'm trying to fit the upper crown to the H frame now and I am worried a bit.

    The fit has always been tight to the point of requiring blunt force to install/remove the upper, so while the coating is thin it will still be subject to scrapage.

    I really dislike the design of the upper. I very much wish it were a split clamp or collet design as this really detracts from the otherwise straight forward servicability of the fork.

    I think there's a good chance I'm going to chip the coating Roger but not because of the coatings thickness, this is the second pair of DUC's i've owned and I would wager most DUC H frames have abrasions and scores near the top from the upper being installed/removed.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crazy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    796
    It won't chip but you can cut through it with a sharp edge. Is there a way to spread the clamps just a little to slide them over the H-tubes?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I'm trying to fit the upper crown to the H frame now and I am worried a bit.

    The fit has always been tight to the point of requiring blunt force to install/remove the upper, so while the coating is thin it will still be subject to scrapage.

    I really dislike the design of the upper. I very much wish it were a split clamp or collet design as this really detracts from the otherwise straight forward servicability of the fork.

    I think there's a good chance I'm going to chip the coating Roger but not because of the coatings thickness, this is the second pair of DUC's i've owned and I would wager most DUC H frames have abrasions and scores near the top from the upper being installed/removed.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crazy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    796

    Another thought

    Jon, you can also open the clamp up by heating it. The alum will expand a good bit while hot and the hot crown won't effect the ceramic.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20

    Hope Thanks Again Ethan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    We do have new air tubes if needed. Check a couple other things first.
    -Remove the main air piston and replace the 1x9 o-ring and re-locktite the piston back on.
    -very carefully look at the top of the air rod, look for a micro crack at the serrated edges.
    -to insect the air tube, clean it thoroughly with alcohol then look at with light shining from the back for scratches or scores.
    the 1x9 o-ring had locktite all in it. So this time I put the locktite on the piston threads. That helped push excess away from the o-ring then cleaned it with baby size Qtip. Been a couple months and all is gd. I also swapped 3.5x17 piston o-ring to a quad-ring just incase eventhough. I dont think I needed it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    How is it going with the coated duc 32?? Have you noticed any kind of wear??

  20. #20
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    I haven't had any ride time on the bike since the forks were coated as I've been working some heavy overtime and dealing with some personal matters. I will have the bike together and be hitting the trails again in about two weeks and I do plan to post a follow up. I'm pretty confident though, ceramic is used in some abrasive applications like piston skirts.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    Thank you for answering mate, my only doubt about it, is not about the material, is about how it is applied, i donīt know if it is some kind of PVD or is applied like a spray...thats the reason for asking. I hope it works because i have another set of ducs with a lot of wear, the former owner lubricated them with grease instead of oil.

  22. #22
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,149
    I would suggest contacting Roger at STB performance coatings and ask. He has a good section on his website describing the different coatings he offers. Very cool guy with excellent customer service. I can't yet tell you my long term results but I know I'm not the first to have Roger coat fork stanchions, knowing Roger if it didn't work well he wouldn't offer it.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    I made it some hours ago and he has given me a very good of what he makes. Iīm thinking about what forks should i send to him first....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •