mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Cassete lockring hitting derailleur hangar nut ML8

Now that it is spring I was trying to get my ML8 up and running. When I first put it together I had an issue with my race face cranks and the front derailleur mount. (Basically their old one was too thick unless you used Shimano cranks you could get rubbing). I tried a spacer at first but it made the bearings on the crank bind as it was too wide. Maverick was nice enough to send me a new mount which solved the problem.

Once that was solved though I noticed the cassette lockring was rubbing on the derailleur hangar nut. The weird part is it only does it in a small section.

I have an XTR hub and a sram pg-990 cassette. When I look the gears seem straight so I don't think the hub is bent. I am unsure if the lockring is just not perfectly symettric, or if it is another issue.

I did check the axle. I could adjust it one thread more to the side of the cassette and then put a washer in or something to give more room, but if there is likely another reason I would rather know in advance. Strangely it seems to be walking somewhat. When I first clamp it on the stand it doesn't rub after I tightened the lockring up, but as I pedal it it starts rubbing more. Perhaps I should try locktite?

Anyway if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Last edited by sxotty; 04-12-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Schipperkes are cool.
    You do know that mixing SRAM & Shimano parts can cause oddities, right?

How many threads are engaged of the lockring before it gets tight?

Other than that, I got nuthin.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    You do know that mixing SRAM & Shimano parts can cause oddities, right?

How many threads are engaged of the lockring before it gets tight?

Other than that, I got nuthin.
    Well I have an XTR cassette on my other bike I could swap, but the carriage arms (or whatever you call them) are bent so the biggest three gears are all wobbly (it was a silly crash at Moab that caused it). The SRAM one is brand new...

Crazy idea! Do you think just buying a shimano lockring ($11) might fix this? I might just swap the lockrings and see. That would be a great thing for me.

Jeez I did not think it would cause a problem to mix a shimano hub and sram cassette I think I have seen others running such a system.

Gentleman Loser

Shimano lockring

I would try an old Shimano lockring.

I just looked at my ML8, and there is only 2mm clearance, at best, between the lockring and the derailleur hanger bolt/nut.

I have a few old Shimano lockrings in my personal toolbox, which would lead me to think that your friends or your shop may have a few as well. Call me cheap, but $11 for a new one seems like at least $10 too much!

mtbr member
    I tried a SRAM pg990 cassette on my 7.5. and the lockring rubbed on ther hanger, my old xt cassette didn't. Seems the sram cassette lockring protrudes further out and causes the interference you talked about.

A shimano lockring will solve the problem.

After looking at other bikes, Mavericks seem a bit tight in the lockring to rear hanger distance.

Take Chances

Pg-990

I ran into the same thing on my ML-8 with a SRAM PG-990 cassette. Difference is the I have a King rear hub. When I first put the wheel on my ML-8 it would rub just ever so lightly on the hanger nut. In fact, I didn't notice it until after a few rides. When I did notice it I I filed the hanger nut very lightly taking off only as much as necessary on the side of the nut closest to the cassette lock ring. Fixed. May not be what you want to do and it seems a little crazy to have to file but it worked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

PG 990 Lock ring

The lock ring on the PG990 sticks out a bit more than others (ie. PG 970). I ran into this exact problem as well (Mav. ML7). Installed the 990 cassette with a 970 lock ring and it worked fine. I know that's not right and you loose the ano red bling. I don't know why it is so but that's it!
    Good luck,
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks so much for all your help guys.

I was away all day, but I will just try swapping the lockrings tomorrow and see if that solves it.

I am even happier to hear I am not alone and it has been an issue before (so I am not crazy).

I did think about filing it, I just did not feel right doing it somehow. Filing anything on a bike seems blasphemous almost .

mtbr member
    The Shimano one will do the trick. Actually, the issue is all ours! We do not recess the hangar bolt so it might be tight on certain set-ups. We have been known to send out turned down back hangar bolts. Let me know if you need it. ethan@maverickbike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F
    The Shimano one will do the trick. Actually, the issue is all ours! We do not recess the hangar bolt so it might be tight on certain set-ups. We have been known to send out turned down back hangar bolts. Let me know if you need it. ethan@maverickbike.com
    Thanks a lot, but swapping them did the trick. Now the SRAM lockring is on the shimano cassette and vice versa and all is well.

Members who have read this thread: 0