mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Braze on FD hitting my monolink shock body... ouch!

Was so delighted to have received my D-mount and R773 FD on Saturday afternoon. Had started to mount the FD and began my tuning when to my chagrin, the FD was unable to mount the chain to the largest chainring.

Later on when i had removed the D-mount and the FD after 3 hours of trying different combinations, the shock body had left a mark where the swing pivot was hitting on.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Necessary set-up infor as below:
    - SRAM x.0 twist grip
    - D-mount + R773 braze on FD
    - Shimano XTR M970 cranks
    - 2002 Seven Duo Frame

Schipperkes are cool.
    Install a 2 or 3mm small washer between the Dmount and the MonoLink.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    2002 Duo would have come with the original magnesium monolink designed to work the the M952 XTR E-type FD. While I think the D-Mount/R773 works with the older model monolink, I believe it is better suited to the later alloy version of the monolink (which may explain why your shifting is sub par). If you haven't upgraded that on your bike I highly recommend it. I ride a 2001 ML7 and Ethan set me up with the new monolink, D-Mount and R773 and the difference is night and day (and I am still running the ML7.0 rear shock). Shifting is perfect and shock performance is greatly improved.

If you are running the older monolink with XTR 970 make sure you are using the proper bottom bracket spacers as well. The BB width on the old monolink is 68mm and the BB width of the alloy monolink is 73mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi g_Henrys & banks,

Thanks! Yeah the duo came with a M952 FD. It was so badly corroded over time that i decided to go for the D-mount + R773 to try it out. Didn't really expect the issues that came with it.

As for the alloy monolink, my LBS does not have it. Ebayed with similarly disappointing results..

Would you guys reckon if i fit in 2 spacers on the drive side BB and similarly shim the d-mount outwards as banks suggested, the chainline would be affected?

Quote Originally Posted by g_henrys View Post
    2002 Duo would have come with the original magnesium monolink designed to work the the M952 XTR E-type FD. While I think the D-Mount/R773 works with the older model monolink, I believe it is better suited to the later alloy version of the monolink (which may explain why your shifting is sub par). If you haven't upgraded that on your bike I highly recommend it. I ride a 2001 ML7 and Ethan set me up with the new monolink, D-Mount and R773 and the difference is night and day (and I am still running the ML7.0 rear shock). Shifting is perfect and shock performance is greatly improved.

If you are running the older monolink with XTR 970 make sure you are using the proper bottom bracket spacers as well. The BB width on the old monolink is 68mm and the BB width of the alloy monolink is 73mm.

mtbr member
    which part is grazing the shock body exactly?

I had an issue where a screw (on the front der that fixes the shifter cable?) was grazing the shock body, so i simple filed a flat on one side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi Ragetty, mine was the top part of the linkage of the FD (which is connected to the shifter cable clamp bolt)

Felt some resistance while shifting up to the biggest chainring. Then i realised that the reason for not being able to shift to the biggest ring was because the linkage had already contacted the monolink shock body..

Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    which part is grazing the shock body exactly?

I had an issue where a screw (on the front der that fixes the shifter cable?) was grazing the shock body, so i simple filed a flat on one side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My guess is that if you put a 2.5mm spacer between the D-Mount and the Monolink (and then a 2-3mm washer at the fixing screw), and a 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side that you would get a good chainline and have enough clearance for the R773. If that didn't work, then shift the non-drive side spacer over to the drive side, but then you may have to get another spacer for the fixing screw.

Now that I think about it, you most likely have the original rear shock, called the ML7.0, which by the nature of its design has less clearance than the later ML7.2. I still run the ML7.0 and with the newer Monolink I don't have any clearance issues. If I get a chance I'll post a picture later this week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate it loads!