mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Biggest tyre on the back of a Durance?

I ask this as I just purchased some new Bontrager XR4 2.2" tyres, put them on my Mavic XM819 UST rims, pumped them up and installed on my Durance. Now the 2.3" Michelins I took off had some clearance, not a huge amount but some. These notionally smaller tyres have literally a *** paper between the tyre knobbles and the seatstay on the swingarm, both sides (so I know my wheel is dished correctly).

Now looking at the XR4 it is a tall tyre for a 2.2, which is possibly where the issue lies, but I've been running 2.3's from Michelin for a while with no worries, and previously ran old Bontrager ACX 2.2's in there which were closer to a 2" to be honest.

All is not lost as I have another bike I can sling the (expensive!) XR4's on, but what is the biggest tyre that I can feasibly run on the back of a Durance... WITH a bit of mud clearance (I live in the UK, sadly mud is a feature here for many months of the year!)... And what is the biggest tyre I can use that's likely to be an OK performer in the more mucky conditions as well as the better?

Will a 2.35" Single Ply High Roller fit do you think?

mtbr member
    try a search for tyre/tire here in the maverick forum, this has come up in a few threads already ...

the high roller will fit as this is a tyre designed prior to maxxis' change in 'tyre sizes' policy - the only issue is that it dioesn't have much squish. you may find that the 2.5" fits too, as the HRs are not tall tyres ...

the more modern maxxis advantage, ardent, etc. are much more voluminous, and a 2.4" of either will not work without rubbing in the rear of the durance. the 2.25" versions fit fine and have good volume, but have less tread depth.

a rubber queen 2.4" won't work either.

my tip for the UK would be the schwalbe muddy mary in 2.3" - decent tread depth, reasonably fast, rubber designed for the wet.

good to know about the new bontrager tyres, as i was looking at these myself ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 11-10-2010 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just put a 2.35 High Roller UST on my Durance -- it fits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cheers guys

By the looks of that Schwalbe Muddy Mary, it's a full on mud tyre. I want something that's more suitable for 6 month a year riding, so that's "ok" in mud, but pretty good in all softer conditions... I've got some Bontrager Mud X's I can fit if I'm going mud plugging to be fair...

These Bonty XR4's seemed like the ideal solution, a natural progression from the old ACX but with a slightly beefier profile and more aggressive tread, only they don't fit with any mud room! Too bloomin tall...

ssorgs, what rim is that you fitted it on? And how much clearance do you have between the seatstays and the outer knobbles on the tyre? Seems to me like this might be the logical tyre for me to fit as I know I like High Rollers at least...

mtbr member
    i'm not sure i'd put the mm in the same league as e.g. maxxis' swamp thing - the mm rolls really pretty well, and with schwalbe's new rubber mixes you should be able to get the performance you're looking for.

the mm in 2.35" will certainly be bigger than the hr in at the same size ...

another option is the conti rq bc 2.2" out back combined with the new baron in 2.3" up front - should be a useful winter combo ...

ragetty

Oly
    Sep 2008
    2.5 Maxxis Minions DH fit fine but seems it's the max you can put

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Racing Ralphs 2.4 (slightly trimmed outer knobs) on Stans Flows. They fit just about right with only ocassional seat stay rub. Same with WTB WeirWolfs LT 2.55.
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ended up trying a 2.2" UST Rubber Queen... Which cleared the stays only by a hairs breadth better than the XR4!

Anyway... Just fitted a 2.25" Schwalbe Fat Albert Double Defense (thankfully half price as the RRP is ridiculous!) on the back of the bike now, volume seems similar to the XR4 but with smaller side knobbles there's noticably more clearance to the seatstays. Just gotta go ride it now to see how it is!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For anyone still subscribed to, or still searching for threads like this, I just put a set of Schwalbe Big Betty's, a tall 2.4 on my Durance, (on Stan's ZTR Olymic rims)) and I'm getting some seat stay rubbing, mosty on the drive side. I'm going to true the rim a bit, and maybe trim the outer nobs just a touch.

mtbr member
    good to know, the BB was on my list to try as it is a nice wide tyre without the excessive height of a conti RQ 2.4" - although isn't the ztr olympic a bit of a narrow rim for a 2.4"?

i had the BB on my klein palamino years ago, a really good performer

there were no changes to the durance rear triangle, only between the 7/5 and the durance, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    although isn't the ztr olympic a bit of a narrow rim for a 2.4"?

i had the BB on my klein palamino years ago, a really good performer

there were no changes to the durance rear triangle, only between the 7/5 and the durance, right?
    The Betty is about as big as I would push it on the Olympic rim, and the boys over at Stan's have said as much.

Regarding the Durance triangle, yes, it's the same, hasn't been changed to my knowledge.

mtbr member
    a wider rim may of course stabilse the tyre and give less seat stay rub ...

other options are wicked will or muddy mary in 2.35" - i haven't tried them, and they may be a little too 'dry/wet conditions oriented' for your needs, but they should be a smidgeon narrower.

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anybody give advice on Swalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 clearance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    No problems with NN 2.25 UST, Racing Ralph in same size also OK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi Picture of Nobby Nic 2.25 on my Durance

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great thanks. Even looks like a bit of room for a bit of UK mud.

NN 2.25" going on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    2.25" Schwalbe's fit OK for sure, not masses of clearance but they go in. A 2.4" on a narrow rim like the Stans Olympic is not advisable IMO, and if you run it on a wider rim it's going to cause more issues with seatstay clearance.

Have recently been running a 2.2" Conti Rubber Queen on the back of my Durance and there was good enough clearance (and the RQ is a big volume for its size), and just put a 2.25" Maxxis Crossmark on and there's still some clearance. Have used a 2.3" Michelin Dry2 also in the past too (great tyre if you only ride dry/hardpacked trails), with some success.

The 2.25" Fat Albert I ran for a bit got binned off pretty quickly... Absolutely terrible tyre! Seemed like no grip in any conditions, felt like the tyre was made of super hard rubber but the contrary was true cos the knobbles were lifting and cutting up badly in no time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Depends on the year durance. Early durance had a little less tire clearance than the later ones. Slightly different bend in the stays running from the top of theshockbody to the rear drop out. Obviously tire profiles also are a factor. Not all 2.4 are created equal. In general I'd say 2.3 and case by case on 2.4

mtbr member
    i seem to vaguely remember reading this (maybe here somewhere) around the time the 2008 durance came out, this sticks in my mind as this was one positive reason for buying the later frame.

and now i understand the disparity in some of the comments here. i'm pretty sure i can run a nobby nicola or perhaps even the big betty 2.4" on my 2008 durance ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    To be honest, if I'd wanted to fit a 2.4" back tyre on a bike, I'd have got an ML8 in the first place. I was a little shocked originally when the 2.2" Bontrager XR4 rubbed a bit, but then it's as big as most 2.4" tyres which I didn't know before I bought them.