mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Anyone know the standard SAE sizing of the 1.3mm X 6mm(ID) O-Ring on the rear strut?

Title says it all. I refer to the the twin 4mm hex set screws that keep your damper in place... Ethan gave me the exact specs, but I have yet to find anyone online that sizes o-rings by (w) 1.3mm X (ID) 6mm.

I found an aftermarket Honda shop that sells carburetor o-rings in 1.3 mm X 5.0 mm...

When I loosened my rear set screws the o-rings disintegrated into little pieces of rubberized detritus. I went to a gasket/o-ring supply house in town and they had the #008 size which is basically 2.0mm X 6mm. When I installed it, it just ripped the o-ring to pieces (sheared off the edges and cut it in half). I tried several other "near" sizes but they all ripped or were otherwise destroyed in the installation process by the sheer tight tolerances of the 4mm (bolt head) Maverick set screw fit.

I finally gave up and wrapped those sons in a few wraps of teflon tape and made a jelly roll at the insertion end -- no leakage so far in 12 hours of intermittent leaps off a 15" ledge and some stair climbing.

Anyone have thoughts on PTFE tape affecting the internals of the rear damper if they are to come unconsolidated?

Anyone find the right sized o-rings?

thanks,

f9a
    Last edited by font9a; 08-14-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Ok..................but I'm still confuse(must be the age), where do we get the "right" o-rings and which ones are they from all in the charts? I did not see a 1.3mm X 6mm o-ring. did see a 6mm X 1mm and a 6mm X 1.5mm. Is the 1.3mm incorrect?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONMAN1518
    Ok..................but I'm still confuse(must be the age), where do we get the "right" o-rings and which ones are they from all in the charts? I did not see a 1.3mm X 6mm o-ring. did see a 6mm X 1mm and a 6mm X 1.5mm. Is the 1.3mm incorrect?
    That's basically my dilemma, too. I couldn't find an apples to apples comparison.

When I tried the 1.5mm X 6mm the o-ring sheared off it's width (thickness) and shredded because of the tight tolerances w/r/t the screw hole.

-- f9a

Schipperkes are cool.
    1.0 x 6.0 is the correct size
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member

New question here. FINALLY we get it straight!

Thanks Brother Banks,( "I'm not worthy".) Thank goodnes we finally got that squared away and explained!!:
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!