mtbr member

adventures on the mav 2012

far too quiet around here

starting tomorrow i'm off on the annual alpenX, 12700hm and 425km in 7 days - one of the transits is over a pass at 3000m (similaun hut), some of the rest may include the odd lift-assist section

the bike of choice is my 2008 durance with hsx10, the weather should stay good.

what are you guys up to?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just went and rode today for the first time in quite awhile. Had such a smile on my face I wondered why I had not been on the ML8 more often lately

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been racing my Matic nearly every weekend this summer. I converted it to a 69'er this year and have been very pleased with the results. The bike has taken some serious abuse and come through admirably. I've even won a couple of races!

mtbr member
    I have been doing some cosmetic surgery to my ML8s. I thought I would get them looking like blooming orange trees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails adventures on the mav 2012-dsc_0001.jpg  

adventures on the mav 2012-dsc_0009.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ha that is awesome. Did you always own the orange one? I saw one like that on ebay a while ago.

mtbr member
    No I bought it of a friend that bought it from ebay. I believe the orange was Mike West's bike. I had to rebuilt the rear shock and monolink bearings. They were very well used.
    I have a few Mavericks.

Post your Maverick!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Cool. Funny that I saw the same one though. Yeah you have 4 mavs or something? That is a lot more bikes than I probably need

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hello Voob. Very good colection!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    Cool. Funny that I saw the same one though. Yeah you have 4 mavs or something? That is a lot more bikes than I probably need
    (ML8s: bikes: 1LG , 1 MED, frames: 1LG,1 SM--- Durance: 2 LG --1 bike/1 frame)
    At 5" 11" I fit both MED(100 to 110 mm stem) and LG (80 to 90 mm stem).
    I do not need all these bikes but the prices were awesome when comparing to similar inferior suspension designs. I have been riding full suspension since 1991-92.
    I plan to rides these frames till I retire from ridding. I run different shock settings on my ML*s.
    This is the best suspension design for the type of trails I ride (a lot of up and down twisty/techy stuff without a lot of speed).
    The durance is the faster and better climber but the ML8 is a lot more fun if set up properly.
    I mainly use the ML8 and it works well only after re-shiming and resetting the IFP/air pressure in the rear damper. Stock set up has a lot of wallow when climbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah I got Ethan to fiddle with my rear shock and it climbs like a beast. I tried and "succeeded" at replacing the rear wiper seal and must say that I would avoid it at all costs if you could. I just thought it would be a good idea since the seal was so old and doing the fork wipers is cake. Anyway if anyone knows a trick to that let the world know

mtbr member
    got back yesterday from the alpenX - tired but pleased

fantastic weather - only 2 hours of rain the whole time, otherwise mostly sunny with some cloud. only 2 flats on my durance, but a trashed freewheel on my compadres bike. found some amazing new (for me) trails and some areas i'd like to return to ...
    Last edited by ragetty; 08-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm new here.

I've had my 69er since spring but its been in the shop all summer for the fork seals, so I've only put about 260 miles on it. I fell in love with this thing when a coworker bought one in 08' or so. I finally found one used and swooped it up, despite it being a little too small (17.5). With a longer seatpost it rides acceptably, but I really should be on a 19", so I've had it listed for sale while I ride it occasionally.

Last weekend I did the Capitol Forest 50 on it and it was great. My first 50 mile race, actually my first 50 mile off road ride in a day too. I have a 20t cog on the way from amazon but I did it @ 32x16. Oof. I was last in the SS category but it was a lot of fun.

I haven't made enough posts to include links or photos, weird rule.
    farm9.staticflickr.com/8291/7860556364_7f117ec140_c.jpg

mtbr member
    hike & bike at the weekend - unfortunately we timed it perfectly so that we were out in the rain, with the sun coming out afterwards

trailqueen sophie was along for the ride (canter) too, sometime impatiently waiting on the biker rider man thing, and she didn't seem to be too phased by the treacherously slippery roots further down the trail ...