Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

69er Durance

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  69erSycip 
#1 ·
I swapped the orange DUC32 from my Trek 69er singlespeed over to my Durance. Pretty easy install. I might get a little bit of bearing play as the race is slightly different.

Heading out for a test ride today. If I like it I am taking this frankenbike one step towards my dream race bike.

The **** I do while my moto is in the shop getting the valves replaced :madman: I swear I need to tinker with everything.

#3 ·
The 69er Durance got lots of attention last night. That didn't influence me in the slightest.

I really didn't find any drawbacks to the set up. It didn't feel any slacker. The increased length wasn't noticeable. The reduced travel on the fork wasn't noticeable. I still had plenty of toe overlap. I didn't notice that the travel wasn't equal front to rear.

I did find lots of positives. Standing up and climbing was definitely faster. Descending on gradual slope terrain was amazing. The wheelie skills are improved. Cornering (the best part of a 69er) was absolutely incredible. I really felt like the bike didn't dive as much in corners. I could just lean in and hold your line and not have to drag my foot as normal.

I'm stoked.

I really wish a bike company would have the balls to build a 69er and stick with it. To me a 29er feels like a completely different bike. They may be pretty fast but they just feel BIG and awkward. A 69er doesn't feel like a different bike but it rides like one. You really don't notice it until you put your weight on that front 29er wheel.

anyway, on to the photos:

#7 ·
... the a2c must be the same, assuming that the fork provides 110mm (or 100mm on the trek 69'er?) of travel for a 29" wheel.

ragetty

#8 ·
A simple conversion from 26 to 29 won't change the A2C but I was under the impression that the Trek 69er DUCs had the "Travis Brown" mod that reduced the A2C. I am good friends with the Maverick dealer here and he used the schematics to mimic this change - will see if I can dig them up. I can absolutely guarantee that doing this reduces the A2C by about 10-15mm from memory.

#12 ·
Good info! I wish there was a schematic to go with it. Seems like more of a limit on the climbing mode switch to be 12mm higher with the IFP so it feels less harsh on bumps. I can definitely notice that on the brown fork.

I love my DUC32 forks. I can't wait for a DUC36 for my DH bike ;)

#15 ·
even though i'm no fan of 69'ers (the wheel descrepancy is too large for my tastes, it still looks like a nice match (frame & fork) ...

maybe a shot further away so we can better see the '69'er' aspect`?

ragetty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.