mtbr member
    Nov 2005

650b up front on my ML8

I have been struggling with what I believe to be a too steep head angle my ML8, I had the same issue with the Durance too. I first owned a Durance, (still have the frame) then bought a ML8 thinking that would improve the head angle issue, it didn't, yes I should have read the specs first.
    After exploring my options, and talking to Maverick, I decided on two options, change the front shock to a 160ml fox which will slacken the head angle, and the other option, put a 650b wheel on my duc, and add spacers for the 650b wheel. Well the duc came back I threw the 650b wheel on it, took it for a spin, very impressive. I have been riding it everyday in every possible condition, truly putting it to the test, really everything, high speed turns, super techy rock gardens, blind leaf covered holes, snow, new unfinished trails, steep ups and downs, and drops. It's a different and incredible bike, it is now a real all mountain bike. 1 1/2 inch bigger wheel really improves the high speed GS style turns, brook crossings, rock gardens, drops are all of them are so much more fun. I cannot detect any loss in it's hill climbing ability, which has always been super strong. Maybe Maverick bikes have too much hill climbing geometry?
    Now I have a new 2012 fox "something" 160ml still in the box, guess it's finally time to sell something on ebay.
    Can't wait to ride again tomorrow.

mtbr member
    pix?

ragetty

A Surly Maverick
    Pix please
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode my ML8 with a 29 up-front yesterday. It is a different bike. I made a climb that I have only made two times before out of about 50 tries on my other bikes. My buddy I was with didn't make the climb and he is a better rider than me. The head angle is a little slack at 66 degrees but I think I can become one with it. I feel much more confident on the rough downhills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm weak on picture taking skills, but I'll work on it. The change in appearance is subtle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by geweber View Post
    I rode my ML8 with a 29 up-front yesterday. It is a different bike. I made a climb that I have only made two times before out of about 50 tries on my other bikes. My buddy I was with didn't make the climb and he is a better rider than me. The head angle is a little slack at 66 degrees but I think I can become one with it. I feel much more confident on the rough downhills.
    I have noticed a slight loss in uphill performance, it is a trade off. On steep hills I now have to shift my weight forward to keep the front wheel on the ground, nothing earth shattering. I've always had to do that with other bikes. The trade off is well worth the dramatic downhill and hazard crossing improvement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I agree you have to ride the bike different when you jack the front end up. For the much better downhill performance I don't mind having to lean forward more on the climbs.

140mm+ full suspension AM 29er - what's out there?
    Last edited by geweber; 12-14-2011 at 06:14 AM.