mtbr member
    Sep 2008

24H DUC compatible front hub... Does it exist?

I know obviously all the Maverick official hubs are 32H, and that some Treks that came equipped with Maverick forks came with a 28H front wheel that was essentially a rebranded (Bontrager) Maverick front hub but with less spoke holes. And the Chris King 20mm bolt thru that is convertible to fit Mav forks comes in 28/32/36.

But has anyone made a 24H hub?

And if not, having seen a few different wheels fitted onto Maverick forks before (Mavic Deemax 20mm, Crossmax SL etc.), do you think it would be feasibly possible to make an axle to fit a Specialized Roval Traverse front hub (fits up to 20mm) to run in a Maverick fork? It's been a while since I've used a lathe, but I'm more than capable given access, what I'm thinking more is how difficult it might be based upon the hub?

Cheers

mtbr member
    I don't know of any 24 holes hubs for maverick forks.

I am not sure I'd recommend a 24 spoke front wheel on a 6" travel bike: if you are going to use the full 6" (i.e. do more than just XC riding), then you'll need a really strong rim with only 24 spokes to hold it together, which would negate the little weight gain you'd get from going from 28 (or 32) spokes to 24. You also need more tension on the spokes to keep flex in check, which is more wear on everything (hub flanges, spokes, nipples, rims).

You could probably machine an axle to fit the Specialize Roval Traverse front hub. Eyeballing the picture below of a Roval front hub it might have to be a two piece part (similar to the Hope one), which might not be as stiff as the one piece Maverick bit (that has been a recurring complaint on the Hope adapter in the past).

If you are still shooting for a lower front wheel spoke count, a more sensible solution is to find a Bontrager Maverick 28 hole hub (very rare these days), a lightweight 28 rim (Bontrager Race X Lite or equivalent), lace everything with some Sapim CX-Rays and it's probably the lightest front wheel you can built on a Maverick. I've been running this setup 7000+ miles now (nothing extreme mind you but I am 200+ Lbs and I run don't shy away from rock gardens and 1 to 2' drops) and it's been holding up pretty well (altho the same rim on the rear didn't fare as well). Actually my ML8 frame broke before the front wheel :-)

Hope this helps.

Denis

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cheers Denis

That's a great help.

It's not so much that I think 24H is the way to go, I could make a very light 32H wheel with an unlimited budget, it's just I already have a pair of Traverse EL wheels on my hardtail and get on well with them, but have the opportunity to buy another pair for a very very reasonable sum of money in good condition 2nd hand.

Regarding their suitability. Personally, I've found them up to the job of general duty riding. I'm no heavyweight at roughly 160-165lb, but I'm not that light on kit either. They're definitely a bit more flexy than heavier wheels, but they seem up to the job. I also like the 26mm wide rims (22mm internal width iirc) as it gives a nice profile, but they're still really light.

Incidentally, this would be for a 2nd set of wheels thats primary job would be as a lighter set for for the occasional 24hr race. The kind of situation where I'd not really be pushing the wheels too hard, but where their light weight would be an advantage. I'd probably use my existing wheels with Mavic EN521 rims now for everything else.

The other, perhaps more sensible option would be of course to buy the wheels anyway, then just keep the front as a spare for my hardtail (or sell it on) as they are cheap and I really like the DT 240S rear hub guts as well, and then just build my spare Maverick 32H front hub (I know, I know!) onto a Stans Crest or similar.

Oh, and regarding the Roval front hub, it's odd in its dimensions. The non disc side bearing is mych bigger than the disc side one. Otherwise I'd probably just buy one of those Hope Pro2 Maverick axles and have a go at getting it to fit. And it would still likely need to be 2 piece, which of course would be a hassle to make.

Hmmmm... Just noticed that 2012 Roval Traverse's come in 32H flavour... Off down my LBS tomorrow to find out the cost of a Roval Traverse 32H rim on its own I think, this could work nicely potentially as being a tart, matching rims front to back is of course important!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    ... a more sensible solution is to find a Bontrager Maverick 28 hole hub (very rare these days) ...
    in case anyone is looking, i've got one for sale right now - located in germany, pm me if interested ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sent you a PM Ragetty

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Could always do a 16- 3x disc side and 8 radials on the other to mount a 32h hub to a 24 spoke rim. I've done this for my daughter's 4" travel fork, but she's 120lbs.

Just throwing it out there- not something I'd advise generally. (....maybe with 16mm brass nipples and those special DT 2.3 spokes?)