JTP
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

08 Durance rear damper

what weight oil goes into the shock body? One of the set screws backed out and I lost the stock oil. I put in 12 ml 5wt oil.

mtbr member

damper

The 5wt will be ok. But, the best set-up is to use a 50/50% of 5-10wt and Sram Red Rum of Fox Float Fluid. This will give better lubrication for the bushings but not be quite as thick as straight Float Fluid. 12ml is good for a bigger rider or if you want a more progressive ride.

JTP
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Problem with reinstalled damper

After reinstalling the damper the rebound adjustment knob jumps up on every compression of the rear end causing a very audible click. You can see it clearly by standing off the bike and cycling the suspension. The knob jumps up as the suspension compresses and then seats back down when it extends. The damper is definitly seated properly all the way down in the shock body and the set screws are torqued down correctly. I disconnected the top shock mounting bolt, removed the gold rebound adjustement knob, and bolted it back on. With the gold knob removed you can see the gap created between the top nut and the top of the damper when it is compressed. i have no idea what I did wrong I have awesome help from Anthony at my LBS. He will have it apart tomorrow for a look. Anyone have any ideas?

Schipperkes are cool.
    Gold knob?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    the rebound adjustment knob on my (the?) 2008 durance is gold.

ragetty

mtbr member
    mine is now making a "clacking" sound when it goes just below the sag position and back up

i've checked the monolink bearings, everything there seems to be ok - the noise is "definately" coming from around the shock body area ...

i guess i'll have to take it out and have a look

ragetty

mtbr member
    well, i didn't have to go that far ...

it turns out i have *exactly* the same problem as JTP, but in my case the shock wasn't even removed, the issue just "appeared" during a ride - i just retried seating the rebound knob, but it has made no difference ...

ragetty

Members who have read this thread: 0