( )
    Nov 2004

Wrentham State Forest

So I rode Wrentham for the first time in about 8 or 9 years last weekend. Didn't quite remember my way around too well, but had a good ride. THere was a lot of ATV damage, and some of the nicer singletrack is overgrown and in need of maintenance, though I saw some bridges that looked newish. Just wondering...has Wrentham been abandoned by mountain bikers or are people still riding there? I never hear it talked about anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    yeah i havent been there in about 10 years, still goto foxboro though, tonite as a matter of fact, check the senemba site they leave at 6pm from next to the dairy queen on rt 140

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Wrentham State Forest, Massachusetts

This place is often crowded, parking wise and on the trails themselves, with large (often very large) groups of OTV's and/or motorcycles. Their exhaust vapors are left hanging in the air long, long after they have passed through any given area, leaving you gasping for the necessary air you need ... and while you're in an aerobic state? ... forget it!

Don't waste your precious time here.

You can smell gas fumes they leave behind all over the place too. It is almost as if the OTV's and motorcycles leak gas right onto the ground ... I don't know but this is what it seems like to me. Pretty bad.

Not only this, but they have left way deep troughs and trenches which are nearly always filled with water, making many trails impassible for a mountain bike .. yeah, it's that bad.

And the constant noise from their engines? yikes ... not to mention the constant noise from the traffic on US Highways 1, 1A and 495 which form the boundaries of this forest ... Well, I guess you've got the picture. The few times I have been here, I was sure I had been trapped in a motorized hell. This is one place I've written off for good.

Red Leg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It use to be an awesome place to ride , but it and Franklin State forest have been destroyed by quads.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Franklin State Forest

Splat,

Rode Franklin a few years ago on a hot, humid day (I think it was in August) and you should have seen the swarms of hungry deer flies amongst the white pines ... wow ... and me who had neglected to bring the repellent!. Not-so-great memories for me. And then, to top it all off, on the way back to the car, I tried a short-cut and wound up on the rails trail ... and then paved roads ... yuch.

I am now quite happy riding my local powerlines, and a bunch of trails that off-shoot them, as well as my "old reliables" Borderland State Park and Foxboro State Forest.

My wife and I camp down in West Gloucester, Rhode Island, right by Wilber Pond, abutting the George Washington Wildlife Management Area/Casimir Pulaski State Park, so to relax, I get to ride the knarly, poorly maintained, hilly, loose-graveled, deeply rutted dirt roads known as the Richardson, Center, Ross Hill and Munyon Trails. Good long climbs ("paying my dues") and then hair-raisingly long, fast downhills on the other side for good fun ("the amusement park effect") as the reward for my efforts. It's a great area to ride undisturbed and in quiet solitude. Every year, I also do my annual "pilgrimage' in this area, out to Wakefield Pond; a nice, 12-mile round trip on Center, Richardson and Munyon.

This year I will check out at least a bit of the famous North-South Trail which crosses one or more of these dirt roads and stretches from the ocean to the Massachusetts border.

Where's your best riding?

Happy biking,

Red Leg

( )
    Nov 2004
    wow, three years and almost 1300 views later....a few replies!

I haven't been back to Wrentham since. It was like riding through a construction site. Too bad, it used to have great singletrack. There and Foxboro is where I learned to mountain bike. The culvert under 495 was a fun challenge. I remember getting lost on the other side in the area that is now the outlet malls. My first night rides were with two flashlights duct taped to my handlebars. Good memories at that place...

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    wow, three years and almost 1300 views later....a few replies!
    Ha!
    As far as the trails on either side off Taunton St. go, I agree they're beat. But if you start near the mall, much better. The powerline that runs east from the mall has some good technical s/t on either side. The quads haven't been able to get in there and blow it out. There's still a little rutting from the moto's, but it's very rideable. And there's some good riding in nearby Plainville, on the S. side of Fuller St. You'll still have to deal with some quads and moto's if you go on a weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wompatuck state park in Hingham. Not sure if thats too out of the way for you, lots of good stuff there, its my regular spot as its up the street for me