mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hope Worth it to replace front fork?

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc that I have been beating the crap out of since I got it. Until this past weekend, it's been fantastic. Then I crashed, breaking off one of the shift levers. I brought it to my LBS (Belmont Wheelworks) to have it replaced, and they said my front fork is bent several degrees and should be replaced too. The total cost for parts and labor for both is $200. Considering the bike only cost me $430 new, i'm having a hard time stomaching that.

Is it worth it? Or do i wait until i can afford to replace the broken bike? Or do i replace the shifter only and wait for the fork to eventually die?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I see your dilemma

The problem is when a fork fails it can be catastrophic.

if it was me , I'd only replace the shifter . and start keeping an eye out on Craigs list, eBay , The Classifieds here and on Nemba.org, Ridemonkey.com , bustedspoke.com, bikerag.com etc ,etc
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    I recently bent the fork on my stumpjumper and definitely plan to replace the fork. I bought the bike used so its going to cost almost what I paid for it to replace the fork but the bike was super fun while it lasted.

Id say if you like the bike an opportunity to do a fork upgrade would be great. $200 sounds pretty cheap if they re replacing the fork though. If you re ready to upgrade to a better bike then its not worth it. If you like the bike that seems like a really good price.

Keep in mind the fork will most likely die while you re riding it and that could be pretty painful for you.

MC MasterShake
    I would not ride on a bent/broken fork. You hit one rock the wrong way and you'll be catapulted to the ground. $200 is very cheap to replace a fork these days. Might be worth looking at upgrading the bike though if you're beating it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Settled

Thanks for the replies everyone. Turns out, for liability reasons, the bike shop wouldn't let me take the bike home without either replacing or removing the fork. I opted to replace it with a comparable model, although mismatched in color, because they had it in stock. $100 for the RST Gila fork and $40 for labor- not bad right? So now i just have to take it a little easier on the trails, and start saving money for a more serious bike- trek fuel ex6, ibex, iron horse?

Thanks again, I can't wait to get out riding again tomorrow!

mtbr member
    What about a rigid fork?
    Simple.
    Cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

rigid fork

with the trails I ride- Vietnam, Harold Parker, Lynn Woods, and many others, a rigid fork is not too comfortable, although I appreciate the idea. Today I got out to Vietnam on the new fork- feels great, and I landed some fun drops that i hadn't attempted before- that place is so easy to get lost in! I have the map from http://www.bvnemba.org/vietnam_map.htm, but it doesn't show nearly all the trails out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by phipsi102
    with the trails I ride- Vietnam, Harold Parker, Lynn Woods, and many others, a rigid fork is not too comfortable, although I appreciate the idea. Today I got out to Vietnam on the new fork- feels great, and I landed some fun drops that i hadn't attempted before- that place is so easy to get lost in! I have the map from http://www.bvnemba.org/vietnam_map.htm, but it doesn't show nearly all the trails out there.
    I made the map , You'd be surprised how few it is missing, Yes We built rubber stamp and Lincoln logs after I made the map and have not updated it yet. I have the GPS tracks , I just need to get them on the map. but most of the other trails are there.

But your Hitting those drops on that fork ??? No wonder you bent the old one
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusjunk
    I made the map , You'd be surprised how few it is missing, Yes We built rubber stamp and Lincoln logs after I made the map and have not updated it yet. I have the GPS tracks , I just need to get them on the map. but most of the other trails are there.

But your Hitting those drops on that fork ??? No wonder you bent the old one
    I know- i've read the reviews about the rst and what a p.o.s. it is- just have to convince the wife to let me spend more money on a better bike . . . could be a while i suspect

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I'd buy a Rockshox Tora from pricepoint.com for $150. Has adjustable travel and lockout and will last forever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    I'd buy a Rockshox Tora from pricepoint.com for $150. Has adjustable travel and lockout and will last forever.

That's a great site to know about- i hadn't heard of it. Thanks!