mtbr member

Worcester/Paxton/Asnebumskit St. Trail Situation

For any of you riders that live around the Worcester area, you may know about a very large, technical, and fun trail system that spans parts of Worcester and Paxton (some people recognize the trails because some are located off of Asnebumskit Street in Paxton by some radio towers). These trails are very fun and offer eveything from long sustained lactic acid burning XC climbing, to spaghetti like trail bike riding, to shuttable downhilling.

Well, since a bunch of my friends were there this weekend, it appears that there may be some issues at hand. The group of riders that I routinely ride with fall in that latter group of riders described above (we shuttle these trails) and it appears now that along an upper section of the trail system certain obstacles have been freshly cut and strategically put in certain locations on the trail and by all accounts they were put there on purpose.

Now this is where I will speculate, and if anyone can interject their thoughts I would love to hear them. Due to the placement of the logs and how they were setup, it appears that they were put in place to force people who shuttle to ride slowly. No logs were put in blind corners and none of them had sharp branches. However, some were put in corners in such a way that one would have to greatly reduce speed to get around them, and some logs were even placed length wise in the trails so that a rider would need to slow down greatly, but all of these obstacles could be ridden slowly or slower.

We have been riding these trails for years and have never had any issues. We occassionaly run into the random elderly bird watcher or hiker, and always stop and say hello and chat it up. A week beforehand a couple of my friends ran into some other regulars that ride these trails who also happen to apparently know a person that cuts trails in the area as well (which I don't know is legal btw). Everyone was real cool (my friends were psyched to see other riders and apparantly so were they) but now this... I would be hard pressed to say any hiker we know of (we have only seen one this year anyway and he was probably 75) would do this and because of the way these obstacles were setup, it appears that someone put alot of thought into what he/she/they were doing. All in all we suspect that it may be a fellow mt. biker that did this.

We always make sure to be follow any rules, be kind to fellow hikers and riders, and up until recently never had any issues. We do maintenance on the trails that we ride, and hope that this is a one time occurance and really hope that this isn't biker against biker hating. I hope if it does continue, we can at least find out who is doing this so that we are able to talk with him/her/them so that hopefully a compromise of some sorts can be reached.

I guess what I'm trying to accomplish by this is to make people that ride in that area aware of this issue and to keep an eye out for any suspicious activities since no one wants this problem, and to also try to open up some communication with whoever is at hand for this since there are indications that it may be a fellow rider(s).

blet drive
    thats straight we need more people organised out there .. the bump is a great riding spot and we not need it to become a war zone.
    when do you all ride in there?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride during the week in the late afternoon. Sometimes on the weekend. I spoke to a DCR guy at Moore State Park last week and he says there is a church group putting a couple building up there and leaving the rest of the land alone. He didn't know the whole situation. I also heard some chainsaws a couple weeks ago when I was coming down from the radio towers. Didn't see anyone though.

blet drive
    ya on the other side there is some religous group building some kinda temple..
    the bump is a great riding spot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've seen the guy, I think. I saw him walking down the white trail that leads to Reservoir Rd. We greeted and I then rode up one of the trails to the radio towers that was clear earlier and there were 5 logs across the trail. I moved all but one which was too heavy. He @30-40 years old with a camo backpack. At the top was a silver Buick which was not there ealier so I asume it was his.

blet drive
    Ya Iv Seen Him To

blet drive
    Ya Iv Seen Him To

blet drive
    Ya Iv Seen Him To