Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Competent User

Wompy Conditions?

Planning on going in the morning. Hope it's frozen dirt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How was it? I was there Monday and it was pretty wet. I'm hoping it'll freeze solid in the next couple of days.

Competent User

Wompy Conditions?

Got there at about 8 am and it was wet, but not icy or muddy. It started snowing immediately, so we got some slippery roots and rocks, because it was right at freezing temps. As we kept on, the sun peeked out and we started hitting some mud and standing water. Then a bit more water. It had been raining all day prior. But it wasn't too bad over most of the trails. By noon, my pedals were pretty clogged with snow/ice and gunk, but it was good to get out. I assume it's changing rapidly now though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anyone been out there since the snow on Tuesday/ Wednesday? I'm wondering if it is rideable. Studs or fat bike needed? Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Was snowshoeing there today around the reservoir. I saw some tire tracks in there. Think I will try to ride there tomorrow. Snow was powdery and not very deep. There were some icy sections but will probably stick to regular tires since my studs only go on my very old 26er, and prefer disk brakes over V brakes so will be on the 29er..but proceeding with some caution over the sections that are typically wet). E15 and R9 looked rideable.

mtbr member
    Anywhere that has seen a lot of snowmobile traffic in Wompy is getting better each day. Thursday it was slow going, today a little more firm and more route options. Wide tires are best, aired down low. fatbikes rule.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tried Doane st today with little luck on my 29er. Would get a little bite on the more packed down snowmobile tracks, but then started breaking thru. Turned around and got my snowshoes instead.

mtbr member
    Wompy's sled tracks are fast and firm today. Studs would be helpful, but you can survive without them. Hit it today before it's buried under a foot of fresh tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Last night, Wompy was great in some places and barely rideable in others, even on a Pugsley with 3.8 Larry's. If it freezes tonight, it should be in good shape for early morning.

mtbr member

Wompy Conditions?

Wompy was freakin' awesome today, firm snow, ice, lots of bare dirt, mud, axle deep water

Didn't need a fat bike (although it helped), studs would be helpful in a few spots

We were able to ride a lot of singletrack that has been unridable for quite some time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Wompy was freakin' awesome today, firm snow, ice, lots of bare dirt, mud, axle deep water

Didn't need a fat bike (although it helped), studs would be helpful in a few spots

We were able to ride a lot of singletrack that has been unridable for quite some time.
    Wow I was thinking Wompy might be ridable as I drove to work today and saw bare spots in the woods. Thanks for updates, I'm itching to ride. Looks like just a few more days of rain and/or warm temps should take care of the remaining snow/ice.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Wow I was thinking Wompy might be ridable as I drove to work today and saw bare spots in the woods. Thanks for updates, I'm itching to ride. Looks like just a few more days of rain and/or warm temps should take care of the remaining snow/ice.
    We rode Wompy again last night, still plenty of snow & ice but most of it is rock solid and very rideable. Studs are the best weapon for those areas that aren't bare yet. And the usual wet sections are deeep. But there's more and more bare ground opening up, which is very encouraging. I don't see much of a break in the weather this week, so it should remain frozen, fast, and fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    We rode Wompy again last night, still plenty of snow & ice but most of it is rock solid and very rideable. Studs are the best weapon for those areas that aren't bare yet. And the usual wet sections are deeep. But there's more and more bare ground opening up, which is very encouraging. I don't see much of a break in the weather this week, so it should remain frozen, fast, and fun.
    I'm heading there tomorrow morning. Any areas better for single track right now? I'll stay away from the usual wet spots, but any areas of the park have more bare ground than others?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBoy View Post
    I'm heading there tomorrow morning. Any areas better for single track right now? I'll stay away from the usual wet spots, but any areas of the park have more bare ground than others?
    The reservoir area has a lot of bare ground. That's on the southeast side (or the far end on your left as you drive in)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the info. Got in about two hours this AM. calling it rideable is the best descriptor. I would say the trails were about 70% snow covered, but it was frozen crunchy stuff so that was nice. Studs may have added some confidence but were not needed in most parts. I do imagine a fat bike would have been a blast, but I only have my FS 29er. Some of the snow was deep and got a little soft towards the end of the ride, but for the most part it was a great time. I found all trails I hit to be rideable.

It looks like this week we will be around 40 during the day, and 20s and night. Hopefully we can get some more trails down to the dirt and still have frozen ground in the mornings.
    Last edited by SHowley2003; 03-03-2014 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Good update. I'm going to give Wompy a go on Thursday. I've got a new bike and need to ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Did you make it out Thursday? How was it? I have a feeling it was the same conditions as when I was there last Sunday as it stayed below freezing most of the week. I'm headed back there tomorrow. Hopefully lots of melting today, and I'm planning on it freezing hard over night. Temps should be in the mid 20's tonight after hitting 50+ today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode the reservoir side yesterday (3/15). Still a bit of snow, ice and mud. The loop around the water was nice, and E15 was ok, but probably needs another week to dry out a bit more. Went to Otis today. Perfect conditions..

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Was there Saturday.I found it completely rideable, although I have a studded frony tire, I think you could still do it without if youre carefulk when negpootiating the icy patches

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode two+ hours today (Sunday) from 9:30ish-11:45ish. Riding was excellent. We started at the back gate, made our way out to the damn/reservoir area then up through the nature study out to E15, across Union St. to South Field and back out toward the back gate. The ground was dry for the most part, but still frozen and fast. After South Field we hit some icy areas, but as long as you are willing to go over the big rocks you can avoid the low laying spots which is where the ice is puddled. If you stick to the left of Union St. you will be fine. As Jim said "it's nice to have the woods back". It was a great ride. Hopefully the ground will thaw before we get any major rain so that we can have some good drainage as the Spring approaches (it is coming, isn't it?)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So it's good for riding without studs, or would it be best to ride with studs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Heading to Wompy after work today. Going studless on the ol' 26er. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    So it's good for riding without studs, or would it be best to ride with studs?
    No studs needed IMO

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I rode about 5 miles yesterday before my derailleur was ripped off by a stick. Trails are about 95% ridable. I had to walk over one or two long icy spots but for the most part the trails are in pretty good shape with not too much mud or downed trees. I'll be heading back there tomorrow once I fix my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rode today. Basically the race loop only without reservoir/ nature study area. Some mud, some pockets of snow/ice but pretty sweet overall. R9/E15 were especially sweet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast