mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Wompy after the "storm"??

Wompy was most excellent last weekend. 99% frozen dirt.

Any news on how things are after the "storm"????
    Last edited by Sci Teach; 02-12-2010 at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

fine riding conditions

Wompy is in excellent shape right now. There was about 1/2 to 1 inch of soft snow on top of the frozen ground with just enough ice underneath to keep it interesting. Studs were not required yesterday.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Any news on how the trails are looking with a couple days thaw on them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

bet they are fine

snow depth from NOAA shows Wompy to be in similar condition to last w/e. If the snow clears, might be a touch soft if temps are above 40, so maybe early morning when the dirt is more solid might be the better bet. Mud season is almost upon us, but with the lack of snow cover right now, it won't last long.

mtbr member
    I would avoid Wompy this weekend; temps haven't been cold enough long enough over the past several nights to refreeze the ground, leaving sloppy squirmy mud instead. Damage has already been done this winter in there (a lot of traffic on a few random warm days in Dec.) with some heavily rutted sections on the high traffic areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

customized
    Sep 2003
    I am wondering about Wompy too. Bet the fireroads are solid.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I was at Wompy Tues 3/9 and it is in great shape! I did my usual perimeter lap of the park (14miles) and found nothing to be more wet or softer than normal.
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks for the updates folks. My son's Mtn Biking club at school is planning on the a ride on the 20th and looking at the forecast, it might be a good day for riding. This will be our first time at Wompy and good to be with a group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

too funny

FDA47....I believe that is my group heading south on the 27th.......

Yup, the trails are in great shape and the forecast for the end of next week is promising. You will definitely have a good time on the ride. Be sure to have your son pick up a copy of the map from me so you folks can preview.

rack admirer

Avoid Heron Pond

I was out Tuesday night, too and was eating trail dust from my riding partners. The Heron Pond bridge had floated away due to high water levels. Avoid E18 to R9 and then the entire R run into nature study. The water level in Heron Pond and Aaron Resevior are overflowing. I work for a local water resource which is lowering its resevoir dam gates in anticipation of 2-4 inches this weekend. Just flowing it into the ocean. Give clear berth to trails near these water bodies and you should be ok
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci Teach
    FDA47....I believe that is my group heading south on the 27th........
    too funny indeed . I hope you meant 20th not 27th

Charles said he already has the map. Will go check it out later

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yes, the 20th.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Rode Wompy today again in light rain. Trails are in great shape even though its wet. A big thank you to whomever has been building berns, bridges and jumps there!
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anyone been there since the typhoon this weekend? Im heading there this evening
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Let us know!

JFair27....please post what you find today.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    you got it! Im planning on doing my regular 14mi perimeter loop + a couple laps up prospect hill. I miss most of the middle of the park but get a pretty good idea of most of the conditions on the lap.

....even got my new lights with me!

If anyone is around I'm hoping to be there around 4:30
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OK!! all in all not too bad. There are several downed limbs and trees. The place is def not a mud pit, but were there is usually water....there is a good deal of water. The nice part was that the parts with water are firm ground covered in water, not swampy mushy pits.

Let me see if I can point out a few spots....

My loop starts through the N10 gate my the entrance road, and up the hill at N16-17-20-19-23-24-25 is in good shape without mud. The hills have evidence of heavy rain washing them down. 30-31 also in good shape no memorable wet spots, but a few down trees.

I go from N31 TO N51 thats in good shape too. N54-55-59 has the normal wet spots heading up the burbank boulder. They are def bigger than normal but nothing out of control.

From the boulder to N53 the normal water crossing is MUCH bigger. not so deep that you cant pedal through it and keep your feet dry though. Again, this is section is normally wet so you are not churning through mud, i slowed down and pedaled through it staying for the most part dry. From here I head down the road to R7. The road is underwater. nothing deep, couple inches, but its flowing right over it right to left. (looking at the map, it wont do this anymore, instead ill take R1-R6). R7-R6 kind of sucks it is pretty heavily washed out, and just not alot of fun to ride, also has a tree down. From here the perimeter of the reservoir is in fine shape. Few downed limbs here and there but not wet other than the one normal puddle before the log.

From there im on the road up to E12. Heading through the scout area there is water that has risen VERY high. Where you normally crest a hill and dive down quickly through a little ravine and into the scout area is completely full of water. You can walk around it on the right side. Heading out of the scout area was full of puddle that span the entire double track. From here I head down the road to MH1.

From MH1 to S28 is all normal. the root and rock gardens are what you would expect. That normally damp section with the raised roots, is no worse than normal. (done know how to better describe it lol)

S29-S32 is kind of a mess. There are alot of very large puddles. The normal ones along prospect street are there and bigger than normal. S32-S11 is a little damp nothing major and dries up as you go up the hill. S10-S3 is fine but a little washed out.

From here I do a few laps of Prospect Hill from S3-S4-S1 back to S3 etc. Climbing S3-S4 is not wet but washed with leaves etc from water run-down. Decending S4-S1 has also been washed but really just leaves, and only near the top. The lower part is in fine shape. Heading from S1 BACK to S3 kind of sucks. The bridges get you over the water fine but as you start climbing up to S3 its wet at the bottom and pretty heavily washed out.

S1 to W1 is all suprisingly in great shape! Theres a stretch thats normally full of puddles but was just damp.

****From the gate by W1 to NW5 forget it!!! Water is very high at the turn where its normally a small puddle. There are also several downed trees. I would avoid this area.

From here NW5-7-2 is fine and brings me back to the main parking lot.

So I cant comment on the middle of the middle of the park at all, but I think this is a pretty good survey of the conditions. I would imagine they are improving quickly as well with this nice weather. I did the whole 1hr 45min ride from 5pm to sunset in short sleeves and SHORTS!! it was nice enough that the water was even refreshing!!

Love this weather!! Here is the park map if anyone wants to follow along and check if I hit any of their favorite spots!!

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/Wompatuck.gif

HAPPY RIDING!

Jeff
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thank you!

Wow.

That is a nicely detailed report, thanks for the effort!

I had noticed that two weeks ago (after the wind storm, before the flood) that the frost was gone, and things were drying nicely. Shows in your report, too, as the normal wet areas are REALLY wet, and the normally dry areas are in decent shape.

Looks to be an amazing Saturday. The additional 36 hours (thurs pm to sat am) of way warm temps will help significantly, too.

See you out there.

mtbr member
    Jfair27: thank you for your very detailed report. It has been very helpful. I rode with Sci Teach's group today at Wompy and the conditions are unbelievably amazing. Sure some areas are under water as you described but these are dwarfed by the amount of track that are dry.

Sci Teach: thanks for the great ride. it was most definitely fun. Can't wait for the next ride.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just a quick update, I rode yesterday evening and there was actually more water than there was LAST week at the same time. I would imagine it would drain pretty quick, hopefully be in better shape for those who may ride it this weekend. .....errrr actually its supposed to rain this weekend isnt it? oh well
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic