Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

wompatuck trail????

been riding there a few times now and i like it more and more every time i go because i keep on finding more and more trails. that place literally has a little of everything. with alot of miles of trails.

anyways my question is near marker n16 there is a trail that goes along the right side of a fence. i went down it for a little and there was a good sized down tree right across and generally the trail seemed pretty overgrown. was i on a closed trail or does it open up after a little while because i ended up turning around thinking i was going the wrong way.

place is super fun, it is taking me a little while to get a good grove on where the trails goes so i can make a little course for myself to get a good workout on but the network is so huge it is taking me a little bit of trial and error.

thanks
    adam

Just a flesh wound
    That trail is next to a closed area, but it continues up to n18 where you have three options, right left or straight. Check out this map and you'll see.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails.../Wompatuck.pdf

South Shore, MA
    Jun 2010
    As Prophet said, yes the trail eventually opens back up not too far from where you turned around. If you cross the broken fence (before the fallen tree I believe) and road that semi-paved path, then you'd be in the closed off area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    that trail near n16 is super tight and grown for probably like 50 yards or so. that fence they put along it is even so close to one tree my bars wouldn't make it through and i don't even have super wide bars.

alright on another note i am curious how competitive i am and wanted to know if anyone could explain to me an old race coarse they used at wompatuck. i saw some times for cat three from 2006 on a 11.6 mile coarse. best time was a little over an hour and seemed most people were near the hour 20 minute mark... i just want to race on old coarse and see if i am even close to being able to enter a race or not. i tend to pick the most difficult terrain i can to ride because i find that a little more enjoyable but that definately slows the speed down.

South Shore, MA
    Jun 2010
    PM me your email addy and I'll send you a course map. I think it was last years. Also, this years course map should be up on their website pretty soon and I think they are making a few minor changes but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Wompatuck is definitely a lot of fun, Its so easy to get sidetracked from whatever path you're riding because there always seems to be so many options

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthechange
    Wompatuck is definitely a lot of fun, Its so easy to get sidetracked from whatever path you're riding because there always seems to be so many options
    on saturday i just completed my first loop where i didn't get lost much at all. had to pause for a second at a couple junctions to think but only for a second or two. i road pretty much the whole outer perimeter of the place. only trails on the outter perimeter i didn't do were the ones near mount hope since it was kinda alot of street to get there and you have to double back on the same trail alot which i was trying to avoid... it ended up being 13.5 miles to do it. i started at the main lot on the left at the trail near marker n2. the trails on the side of the trail that don't have the campgroung are way harder then the other side. not so hard you have to walk or anything but the difference in average mph is significant. now i can keep adding to it, prospect hill will be added next time i go.

for anybody that likes a challenge r2 is the most difficult trail i have found yet. ns10 or r1 can't remember it is just the continuation to the other side of the street. has a tricky downhill depening on which line you take but the harder part is getting across the rock bridge that is at the bottom.

Just a flesh wound
    Did you do NS2 to NS11 to NS6? Very rocky and technically challenging. Over on Prospect you should try S9 to S8, down is better. Climb up from S6, some parts are practically impossible, (for me). The Power Line climb on Mt. Hope (MH4 to MH3) is a good hard slog.

After those, post up and I'll send you on some more.

Just a flesh wound
    The trails don't have names, only the intersections, so any trail is E2 to E13 or something like that. I forgot to mention that earlier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i did ns31-ns1-ns4-ns11-ns6. the ns31 trail dumps you out on the street, i guess i could double back for ns2

on prospect hill from the way i come at it on my route i plan on doing s3-s4-s1. does that sound like i am going to be going up a section that is impossible to climb.

South Shore, MA
    Jun 2010
    I haven't done all the Prospect Hill trails but I know I did a couple that I had to walk more than I wanted to. I wish I would have paid more attention to which trails I did so as to try the other ones. If you find a decent up or down let us know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    on saturday i just completed my first loop where i didn't get lost much at all. had to pause for a second at a couple junctions to think but only for a second or two. i road pretty much the whole outer perimeter of the place. only trails on the outter perimeter i didn't do were the ones near mount hope since it was kinda alot of street to get there and you have to double back on the same trail alot which i was trying to avoid... it ended up being 13.5 miles to do it. i started at the main lot on the left at the trail near marker n2. the trails on the side of the trail that don't have the campgroung are way harder then the other side. not so hard you have to walk or anything but the difference in average mph is significant. now i can keep adding to it, prospect hill will be added next time i go.

for anybody that likes a challenge r2 is the most difficult trail i have found yet. ns10 or r1 can't remember it is just the continuation to the other side of the street. has a tricky downhill depening on which line you take but the harder part is getting across the rock bridge that is at the bottom.
    I'll definitely give this route a shot next time i head over there, which will hopefully be this weekend if i can find a couple spare hours.... but every mysterious trail that disappears into the woods draws me in haha.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    i did ns31-ns1-ns4-ns11-ns6. the ns31 trail dumps you out on the street, i guess i could double back for ns2

on prospect hill from the way i come at it on my route i plan on doing s3-s4-s1. does that sound like i am going to be going up a section that is impossible to climb.
    I forget what S3 to S4 is like. From S4 find the downhill switch back. I think it goes to S2, called Lone Pine or something like that. I want to say that S3 to S4 is steep but pretty easy, maybe even paved a bit. There are only a few "features" on Prospect that are super hard / impossible, the rest is totally doable. S1 to the top can be cleaned. It's a good burn if you crank it up hard. S2 up same thing, but it's really a switchback downhill, so heads up for fast descenders. S6 up looks like a road at the very start, but it changes fast and presents lots of complications. I can clean the whole thing except about 2/3 of the way up there is a rock garden with a line of boulders on the left that is supposed to be a passable wall. I see how to do it, but I have yet to succeed.S8 to S9 to S7 to S5 is a brutal climb, but it can be cleaned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    place is very sweet....lots of fun. not sure why i had not been there..Just went last weekend. i love the built up stuff in there. very fun. though i should have stuck to the smaller jumps and berms. i tried to hit that big one with the gap and I bailed of course. Bad thumb sprain/ligament crap. Gotta have the skills to pay those bills...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    gonna go punish myself there tommorow. haven't decided if i want to just try every trail on prospect hill or just do my big loop i have been doing and had one of the prospect trails to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starry
    place is very sweet....lots of fun. not sure why i had not been there..Just went last weekend. i love the built up stuff in there. very fun. though i should have stuck to the smaller jumps and berms. i tried to hit that big one with the gap and I bailed of course. Bad thumb sprain/ligament crap. Gotta have the skills to pay those bills...
    I've only explored about 1/8th of the place, where is the area you're talking about ?

Theres a PDF map linked earlier that shows the whole place

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    keepthechange,
    i think the place he is talking about is between nw10 and n8. there is all sorts of jumps and berms to hit in there and if you find it there is one line of jumps where there is like five in a row or something like that. there is also some good drop offs to roll off of. one is like a bridge that just drops to a good angled pitch which is alot of fun to hit, i only found that one once and haven't seen it again but i don't ride near that area much.

Just a flesh wound
    You're right Adam. He is talking about the roller coaster area between NW10 and N8. Lots of woop de woops in there.

South Shore, MA
    Jun 2010
    "The Playground"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    anyone riding wompy today? I think ill be out there this afternoon maybe 3-4ish. Planning on doing a perimeter loop roughly 14 miles. Doing it once or twice depending on how the legs feel.
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

mtbr member
    Rode today from around 11-12:30, did some exploring tried to get lost... there are quite a few parts i'd like to back and hit again though

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cperalta1
    I haven't done all the Prospect Hill trails but I know I did a couple that I had to walk more than I wanted to. I wish I would have paid more attention to which trails I did so as to try the other ones. If you find a decent up or down let us know.
    went back there yeserday and did my usual loop and added prospect hill to it. i came from what would be the bottom of the map so i took a right at s3 to go up prospect hill. i then made it to the top at s4 and road s1 down. s3 has nothing difficult on it other than it having to have legs to pedal up. s1 on the way down was a little techy with a part near the end before a wooden bridge almost making me tap but i muscled my way through it. next time i will have to pay more attention i was kinda day dreaming. i will pick a differnt way next week. i can imagine going up s1 would be kinda tuff if you aren't good at getting over rocks or rock gardens.

want to send out a thanks to whoever does the trail maintaince. there has been a good size tree down in the middle of a trail that i had to lift my bike over for the past couple weeks and someone cut it up and moved it. it is much appreciated.

Just a flesh wound
    Go up from S1 or S6 and go down S4. Good fun!

mtbr member
    Im thinking of taking some pictures around wompatuck of the different areas of interest, the jump line, the plank park and anything i've personally found interesting over the next week or so... hopefully i can compile them into a nice thread to give people a good idea of what wompwomp has to offer, I for one had only gone there out of convenience for the first couple visits before i realized it has something for everyone.

Just a flesh wound
    It's a great place! I've ridden a bunch of places around here, but I live 7 minutes by bike to the park, so thank god it has so much to offer, other than big hills.

See you out there. Can't wait to see you compilation. I'll try to do the same!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast