Thread: Winter Riding

person

Winter Riding

First off I'm sorry from bringing up winter and the cold when its still august, but its been a bit chilli these past few nights and it reminded me to get ready for winter riding. Last year I made do with what I could find sitting around the house but I usually ended up sweating most of the ride. So this year I want to get the right tools for the job, so I wanted to know what other people in the area wear for the winter rides.

I've seen the nice Lake and Sidi winter shoes but I was wondering if they were worth the money. Any advise would be helpful, thanks
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fleece balaclava under my helmet. Fleece gloves. Polyester t-shirt under a 15 year-old Cannondale winter jacket. Polyester long underwear under 15 year-old Cannondale pants. Lorica Sidi Dominator 5s under Performace winter booties.
    I am cool at first, but warm up fast.

Who are the brain police?
    Lake's are no joke. Wonderful at keeping the feet warm and dry. I think they're worth the money.

As for not sweating... the approach that works for me is to use multiple thin layers. Wicking/warm clothing like wool and a layer that keeps out the wind. It seems to be a game of getting the right layers for the ride. (And stay away from cotton anything.)

...And those chemical foot warmer packs are fantastic too. They'll keep your feet warm even if you don't invest in core winter shoes.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

person
    Thanks guys!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

person
    Another question.... what is a good studded Tire? I thought about making my own but i'l heard that they wear too fast, I'd be willing to spend the money if they'd last. Also is wearing a full face helmet any better for winter? -Thanks dave

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    Another question.... what is a good studded Tire? I thought about making my own but i'l heard that they wear too fast, I'd be willing to spend the money if they'd last. Also is wearing a full face helmet any better for winter? -Thanks dave
    No to the full face helmet. As for studded tires. They are only good for ice. If you are riding on the road and are worried about ice patches or on frozen lakes, they are perfect. If you are riding on snow, then volume is key....think Surly Pugsley. Studded tires have no additional benefit over normal tires (but are much heavier) in pure snow.

Chris

mtbr member

Cold Weather Riding

The biggest problem I've found riding in cold winter conditions is the waterbottle or Camelback freezing. I have a friend that adds vodka to stop it from freezing. Still not sure why he adds vodka in the summer to?

But, getting in the woods out of the wind makes a huge difference. Like cross country skiing, I used to always try to be comfortable entering the woods and start shedding clothes almost immediately until I'm down to a fleece at most. So, the most I'll ever wear is a fleece, pants, heavier socks & gloves, and bring a light rain jacket to start the ride with. The rain jacket usually gets peeled off within the the first few minutes. In the extreme cold I might add a fleece vest. But, the trails around hear are pretty hilly so warming up isn't a problem. Just getting out of the car is!!!!

that's my 2 cents
    [SIZE="3"]"To Air Is Human, To Huck Divine" [/SIZE]

Who are the brain police?
    It only takes one small patch of ice to make you appreciate studded tires.

If you make them just be sure to only have a small dot of the screws show through the tread. I went on a ride once where I got a flat but didn't notice it right away. The tire casing flattened out so there was contact between the studds and the inside of the chainstay. It quickly carved a notch and messed up the frame.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    not sure why ctx said no to the fullface helmet. IMO it makes a huge difference. I wore my xc helmet on an extremly cold day (below 0) and was hating life. Next ride i put on my deviant on a sub 0 day and enjoyed every minnut of the ride. The full face blocks the wind from parts of your face and far more warmer than a xc helmet. Invest in one...its worth it especially when there is ice on the trails.