Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Re: Willowdale Conditions

Update for everyone. I work at a golf course near willowdale and we finally melted out early this week. Gave it a few days and went to willowdale after work today for a quick spin.

Fireroads are very wet and soft with some good sized icy spots remaining. The singletrack was snow free except for small spots here and there. There were some muddy spots on north facing hills that arent usually wet and the trails were loamier and softer than usual.

All in all rideable but not 100% in yet. Could be a setback this weekend depending on how much rain we get. Can't say I'd recommend driving very far to ride willowdale at the moment if you're not in the area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone have any news on Willowdale? I'm thinking about giving it a go this weekend...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I gave Willowdale an abbreviated spin late on Sunday. I rode a good chunk of the northern part, off Linebrook. Generically, it was dryer than I had feared it would be. Singletrack was all pretty good. Maybe a tiny bit softer than usual, but not anything that would cause trail damage. Few mud spots, but nothing unavoidable.

The fire roads had some sections that were pretty rough. Clearly our equestrian friends continued using them through mud season, and there's plenty of damage to them as a result.

Other than the lung and leg pain from the first ride of the year it was a good day.

mtbr member
    Hey all, how are trail conditions down around Willowdale? Some of us northerners are tempted to head south for rubber-on-dirt if there's any to be had. Are studded tires needed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Frozen with some light dust of snow on the trails. Few icy spots under the light snow which makes for minor hazards if your careful or big hazards if you're going full tilt and not paying attention. Ground is frozen hard. Conditions will change tomorrow as it warms up but I rode 2.4 tires without studs.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if Willowdale will be rideable by this weekend? I put the studs on the 29er and I'm itching to get out there.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Not a chance

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit2005 View Post
    Does anyone know if Willowdale will be rideable by this weekend? I put the studs on the 29er and I'm itching to get out there.

Thanks in advance.
    2 + feet of snow. How many miles did you snow shoe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    2 + feet of snow. How many miles did you snow shoe?

Why this attitude??????? It's a yes or no question. If you have nothing to add.........don't post.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    I know exactly where it is coming from. There are groups that have been “Grooming” trails for winter biking for many years. We would all grab our snowshoes and the human powered groomers and get it done. There are many new “Winter bikers” this season, and all they want to know is what is packed enough to ride. I have received many emails, through the NEMBA website”, and FB messages asking me about the current conditions at my local area. Many of the inquires are from people I do not know. If they were helping in the grooming they would know. Grab your bike and snowshoes and head to your place of choice and pick your weapon based on conditions. It takes a huge amount of effort to break trail with 33” of snow. From what I see, it’s the same group of people that are building white trails that build brown trails. We all want to ride. We have over 100 man hours into my local spot and it still is too soft. For those that are out there making it happen, Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit2005 View Post
    Why this attitude??????? It's a yes or no question. If you have nothing to add.........don't post.
    No attitude. Simple question. 2.5 to 3' of snow. On skinny tires?
    Try skis or snowshoes. Snow does not pack itself. Unless you are following a ski mobile. That much powdery snow would take at least 5-10 passes to start being able to ride a fat bike. Try road instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    I know exactly where it is coming from. There are groups that have been “Grooming” trails for winter biking for many years. We would all grab our snowshoes and the human powered groomers and get it done. There are many new “Winter bikers” this season, and all they want to know is what is packed enough to ride. I have received many emails, through the NEMBA website”, and FB messages asking me about the current conditions at my local area. Many of the inquires are from people I do not know. If they were helping in the grooming they would know. Grab your bike and snowshoes and head to your place of choice and pick your weapon based on conditions. It takes a huge amount of effort to break trail with 33” of snow. From what I see, it’s the same group of people that are building white trails that build brown trails. We all want to ride. We have over 100 man hours into my local spot and it still is too soft. For those that are out there making it happen, Thank you.
    Unless your tires only touch trails that you personly work on, you should drop this "Holier Than Thou" attitude. Somehow my post indicated that I don't snowshoe or conduct trail work. I'm not sure how you were able to get all of this out of my question regarding trail conditions for Willowdale. From past experience, I've found Willowdale usually is packed down quicker than other places which is why I asked. I assume this is due to a dedicated trail crew, the amount of traffic it gets, or (most likely) a combination of both. Unfortunately for me, Willowdale is haul. I'll drive to ride it but not snowshoe. If there's only snowshoeing available this weekend, I will do it but closer to home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Again, no attitude. Anyone who snowshoes would know where the trails are packed. I heard the fells orange loop was good, before the 12" today. With 15+ miles @ willowdale, I would assume some closer dog walking trails would be packed down, but a real effort would be needed to make some of the singletrack ridable for fat tires. Skinny studs, good luck with that. Please post when your closer trails are packed down, thanks & Go Pats.

mtbr member
    How's WD these days?
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2