Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Willowdale Conditions?

Has anyone ridden Willowdale since the snow? I'm thinking of heading there Friday if I hear of some favorable conditions. Or I may just head back to Wompatuck since it was adequately rideable yesterday (1/1/13).
    If anyone wants to join, let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Willow was fine Monday. Studs not required. A little snow over some rough crust. Some open crossings that need attention. Can't see why anything might have changed. No thaw since then.

mtbr member
    Sweet. Hopefully it's not too icy tomorrow. I'll give a report when I get back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    any updates?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    I ended up not going... Total slacker.

Tool
    Was anyone at Willowdale today? I'm thinking of heading there tomorrow, but it's an hour drive, so I want to make sure it's worth it. I'm also wondering if I should throw the studs on since there have been some freeze/thaw cycles.

Thanks,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Went to Gtown today which is nearby and fairly similar. Unless you are going early it should be softened up and in good shape. Not sure you see thaw/freeze lately, mostly sublimation, a word that I like when I can use it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    Was anyone at Willowdale today? I'm thinking of heading there tomorrow, but it's an hour drive, so I want to make sure it's worth it. I'm also wondering if I should throw the studs on since there have been some freeze/thaw cycles.

Thanks,
    Pete
    I was out there today. Rode from 10ish to after 1pm. I did not have studs and didn't need them. I do think I would have gone a little faster if I had them though. Some of the trails got a little soft and sloppy after noon time. I don't think the conditions will change too much by tomorrow???

Tool
    It was excellent out there today. No studs needed, and I really don't think they would be any advantage. Definitely try to get out there before noon as the south facing stuff gets sloppy in the afternoon, but 90% of it was firm well into the afternoon. There were dozens of other riders out there today, all with big smiles.

see me rollin, they hatin
    my studs hooked a bit on the roots and bridges which made me feel better about the wetness, but you didnt really NEED them. Some areas were very wet and nearly slushy. not sure if that will freeze up and leave you with iced up tire tracks. Either way, it was amazing riding!

btw, this was yesterday.

fap

Clown
    Nov 2009
    cool vid. what type of helmet cam?

mtbr member
    It looks like good riding there. I'm without a mountain bike for a couple weeks, but when the new one arrives all will be well again.

My buddy who filmed it had a contour attached to his headtube (i think?)
    fap

Tool
    Anyone been out there this week?

There are a TON of people talking about hitting it on Sunday, and I'm concerned that it will be too soft to ride responsibly (i.e.: trail damage). I'm hoping the frost is deep enough in most places that 2.x" tires won't damage the trails, but I really don't want to be one of the ones leaving deep ruts if the trails end up being in 'do not ride' condition.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have to work tomorrow morning, and intend to check it out tomorrow afternoon. Will let you know what I find.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Went out yesterday and it was a mix. Some snow in spots, more ice than a week ago. I'd expect this to mostly melt away by Sunday. There is already a lot of soft baby poo mud that I can only image will get worse in the coming days. Even yesterday there were some flat south facing hills that I had to walk cause I was just spinning.

It would certainly help Willowdale if folks went elsewhere. I will certainly be doing so. Places like HP have a little more snow and frozen conditions in addition to a rockier less loamy tread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, looking at the weather this AM I think I'm going to pass. Sure it's even muddier than it was yesterday.

the train keeps rollin
    Bump, latest? packed snow? thanks!
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Bump Again. Thinking about riding there saturday morning ... supposed to be real cold tomorrow, so everything should be frozen up nice for at least the AM ... How much snow did you guys get down there?

Tool
    I'm thinking conditions there are likely to be great Saturday morning, although there's no substitute for a report from feet on the ground:

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Enough ruttable mud to recommend against it until ground refreezes

mtbr member
    Any update on Willowdale? Did people stay out when it was muddy and now we have a frozen concrete like speedfest or is it nasty and rutted from morons?

when i went there last week, the only stuff that may have been rutted was the slush. the mud itself wasnt "sinky". it was fairly hard dirt with pools of water on top. the frozen slush might be difficult though.
    fap

mtbr member
    Sweet! I'm going to try and hit that this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rode there this afternoon. Hard as a rock with minimal ice patches. Didn't look like it got cut up too much, but did notice some widening of the line in areas that are wet/rooty. Weekend looks prime.

Aborted early today. Couldn't get my hands to warm up despite full winter ski gloves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast