Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Wicked Ride of the East

Any of you fine folks planning on attending? I just moved to Andover and have yet to ride Harold Parker. Looking forward to checking it out and hopefully meeting some of the local riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ill be there, hungover but am attending.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    I'll be there. Just doing the novice group with a buddy of mine, but it'll be my first real MTB event. Definitely looking forward to it!

I've ridden HP a couple of times, plenty of great trails and it's well maintained. Have a blast!
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is it this weekend?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes it is this Sunday, registration opens at 9am. Be aware the event's been moved to the HP Campground on Jenkins Rd. If you are on Facebook you can join the North Shore NEMBA facebook group to keep up on current event news.

I'll be there as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm hitting it up for the first time in 2 years. Kinda kicked my butt then... probably will kick my butt now, too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveboston View Post
    Any of you fine folks planning on attending? I just moved to Andover and have yet to ride Harold Parker. Looking forward to checking it out and hopefully meeting some of the local riders.
    Yes, nice riding. Lots of rocks and some tech tech sections too. Full sus. recomendo. I'll be the one in a crazy hat slinging chilli.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Yes, nice riding. Lots of rocks and some tech tech sections too. Full sus. recomendo. I'll be the one in a crazy hat slinging chilli.
    No full sus. for me. I'll most likely be with the lady riding my single speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Planning on being there and getting my ass kicked by the big loop again.

My wrists already ache.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anybody has this year map?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I should be there as well with a few friends. HP will kick your butt. I did the big loop last year and it took 4+ hours. Everywhere I could I saved the legs and paced myself and also took a few breaks. There is some real techy stuff here that will make you work hard and challenge you for sure. Don't prepare (plenty of fuel/food/snacks and fluids for the body with electrolytes highly recommended) and you will suffer or bonk.

Of course there are the shorter loops also that aren't quite so unrelenting if you don't feel like a beat down. Trails are awesome, but lets pray for no rain.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    That was killer last year after the rain started, every rock was like ice.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-it-all View Post
    That was killer last year after the rain started, every rock was like ice.
    For sure and thankfully I was nearing the end of the ride when it started. Stuff became stupid slick.

mtbr member
    Say hi if you see me Sunday.

Go Bruins!
    I did about 95% of the hero loop the day before two years ago. I couldn't make the actual ride, but it is usually signed and blown leaf free the day before. Anyway, I did a little over 19 miles in just under 3 hrs. HP is a great place. I've come down from NH once or twice a month for the last few years and have a good feel for the three main sections of the park. Killer tech features mixed in with a surprising amount of flow if you have tree trunk thighs makes this place a gem in my eyes.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

Here's the link to the event on the NS NEMBA webpage: North Shore NEMBA » Blog Archive » Wicked Ride of The East at Harold Parker State Forest ? Sunday 10/27/2013

Anyone who thinks NEMBA is responsible for the "Wussificaton" of trails should try riding the whole loop and see if this changes your mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom) View Post
    Anyone who thinks NEMBA is responsible for the "Wussificaton" of trails should try riding the whole loop and see if this changes your mind.
    Couldn't agree more Tom, obviously the guy in the other thread has never done any trail work with any NEMBA chapters. I wanted to reply to the other thread but couldn't put my thoughts together without going fullout ballistic.

Looking forward to another great event, see you tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, or how about the ride out in Wendel (sp?) SF in western MA. Dam, that ride has kicked my butt a few times.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Or just take a spin in vietnam.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cheers to that. I saw many people taking a beating out there yesterday. Hopefully they all appreciated the heckling!!!

Thanks to everybody for another great WRE! I'm still working through some issues with Leebohs chili, to the dismay (and disgust) of my coworkers.

mtbr member
    Definitely a chudderfest. Loved it. Huge props to the leaf blowers, we would've all been hurt'n otherwise. I lost track of the of number of people going over the bars due to HP's raw'ness.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great ride as usual. Really glad those early morning rain/slick trails dried out quickly or I may never have been able to complete the advanced loop which still took me close to 4 hours of real ride time not including breaks and stops. Humbling terrain that forces you to get better and yeah, ride out of your comfort zone. No over the bars trips for me this year thankfully but took a nice one last year. Better bike this year also so that helped.

Yes, double props to the leaf blowers and the North Shore NEMBA club.

Dissolved member
    What a great ride. Props to the organizers for a perfect event. No OTB for me either, but riding with Joe-it-all was a Herculean effort for me and I am still sore. The first ten something minutes in the slick were crazy.

beer thief
    Thank you North Shore NEMBA for putting on another excellent event! Trails were in perfect condition and nowhere do you get more bang for the buck than HP. I like it a lot better when dry.

Thanks again Tom for your guide service and adding the extra-credit section. I always enjoy riding with you even if I can't keep up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-it-all View Post
    I lost track of the of number of people going over the bars due to HP's raw'ness.
    Ha! I never saw so many 29ers not living up to the 'roll over anything' hype in my life. Great entertainment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast