Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Who are the best dealers for MTB?

Hello Massachusetts!

If any of you have recommendations for dealers in your area, we would be interested to hear who's doing a good job taking care of you. It's more important to us that the shop have a good vibe and enthusiasm than to be the biggest, though big is fine too.

Cheers!

Hans

Rider of Bikes
    Belmont Wheel Works http://wheelworks.com/

mtbr member
    Currently I have been using Peterson's Bike Shop in Raynham. It's small, but they're very helpful. The owner has been really helpful to me since I started going there a few months ago. They also do rides twice a week (though a lot of them are road rides in the summer), usually at Massasoit or Freetown, sometimes Otis.

http://petersonsbikeshop.com/

mtbr member
    JRA in Medford rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpa2000
    Belmont Wheel Works http://wheelworks.com/
    You mean "Belmont wheel Jerks" Bunch of F-N clowns......JRA in Medford, Western Cycle in Danvers, or go see Marc at his new shop in Beverly "Centraal Cycle" (yes that's how he spells it)...I don't use bike shops very often but if ever I'm in a jam these are my go to shops...I'm well over 20 yrs in the bike game and Belmont Wheel is the biggest joke of a bike shop that I've ever had to deal with.....CF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    You mean "Belmont wheel Jerks" Bunch of F-N clowns......JRA in Medford, Western Cycle in Danvers, or go see Marc at his new shop in Beverly "Centraal Cycle" (yes that's how he spells it)...I don't use bike shops very often but if ever I'm in a jam these are my go to shops...I'm well over 20 yrs in the bike game and Belmont Wheel is the biggest joke of a bike shop that I've ever had to deal with.....CF.
    I was just thinking about the last time I had to deal with these clowns (nightmare story) and I remembered that there was this ONE young kid who was a really good guy, he could see just how bad the other monkeys had dropped the ball and he went above and behond to try and help me..I can't remember his name (I think he had some kind of funky hair-do) and he sat at that little desk thing-e in the front of the store...But I just wanted to say this because if not for him (and my son) it could have gotton VERY ugly in there that day..So it's only 99% clown central.........CF.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I second CFs recommendations having done business with all those shops. All good guys with a passion for biking.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    You mean "Belmont wheel Jerks"
    I moved into Davis Square in 1988 and have been a regular at both Ace Wheelworks and Belmont Wheelworks since then (though I live in Arlington so Belmont is a bit more convenient), and wholeheartedly disagree. Even though I do most of my shopping online, I still hit them up for the essentials (was just there today to get cables and housing). They are knowledgeable and very friendly. I like the fact they know my name, too. They're one of the only shops I trust working on my bikes when I'm too lazy to do it myself. The last two sets of wheels they built (again, the laziness), were fantastic. They have a wide selection also and will let you take any bike for a ride in the conservation land nearby. My fiancee & I just bought our nephew his first mountain bike and the entire experience was hassle-free.

You could also check out Landry's, The Cycle Loft or International Bike. They're bigger places, like Belmont. As for smaller shops, I really like Cambridge Bicycle (been popping in and out of there since 1988 also). They cater more towards the city rider (i.e. fixie folks), but I found them easy to talk with and the service shop knowledgeable.

My last two bikes were done purchased through Grace Bicycles in Hopkinton. Roy Cervantes is a great guy (former Seven employee). He focuses more on road bikes, but he'll get you whatever you want. I had him order my Independent Fabrication Deluxe (as well as my Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel) and he does great work. He's building me a set of wheels for my single speed project and is reasonably priced for that sort of thing (cheaper than Belmont). He's right near Vietnam also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is great stuff, much appreciated...

Please keep it coming if there are more comments.

Thanks again,

Hans

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Berkshire Bike and Board

In Gt Barrington . They take good care of me . Staffed by riders ,not posers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i liked the service that i have received at jra in medford. did not really like belmont wheelworks or quadcycles in arlington

mtbr member
    I'd pick Belmont Wheelworks (Belmont location), The Cycle Loft (Burlington), and Providence Bike (yeah, RI not MA, but still one of the best). Nice thing about Belmont is that they give equal billing to women's bikes and gear--makes them my wife's favorite shop. Personally, I prefer Providence Bike. They're a bit less mainstream in their brand selection and have a better vibe on the MTB side of things. Belmont IMO has more of a road bike feel.

mtbr member
    Haven't had any problems with Bike Alley in Worcester...there are a couple guys there that really know their stuff.

http://www.bikealley.com/

the test dummy
    Milford bicycle very help full and contributed a lot of time and money to the trails i ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    JRA Cycles in Medford is #1 for me -- http://www.jracycles.com/
    Best bunch of guys to deal with, best vibe, etc.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cycle Loft #2 http://cycleloft.com/
    Much bigger store so I don't find them as personable or get that great small shop vibe but
    they are professional and have a good selection. I go there when I am looking for something specific from Specialized.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Been to Wheelworks several times and can't say I've had a bad experience but also never got a "warm fuzzy feeling" or good vibes.

~Frank
    www.ragemtb.com

mtbr member

Union Cycle

I've never have had a problem with Union Cycle in Attleboro. They have worked on my bike and I've never hesitated to send other people there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Foxco in Dracut, only carries specialized but the Owner is very knowledgable and gives great personalized service

mtbr member

Best in my book

West Hill shop in Putney Vermont. http://www.westhillshop.com/index.aspx. I know they're not in Mass but they are about 20 minutes from where I work in North Western Mass. Definitely worth the drive.

Very helpful, knowledgeable and very supportive of the local cycling scene. They put on a great mountain bike race and cyclocross race every year as well. The mechanics are for real and Rob is always in a great mood. Overall great vibe. Highly recommended.
    Team Bikeman.com
    Life is like riding a bicycle.
    To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
    -Albert Einstein

mdc
    mtbr member
    Milford Bike in Milford Mass- great guys and they will truly do what it takes to keep their customers ( new and old) happy.

Providence Cycle- really a nice shop, great mtb and road selection, really good mechanics as well...

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    Hello Massachusetts!

If any of you have recommendations for dealers in your area, we would be interested to hear who's doing a good job taking care of you. It's more important to us that the shop have a good vibe and enthusiasm than to be the biggest, though big is fine too.

Cheers!

Hans
    Best two shops in the state right here:

Cycleloft.com
    www.jracycles.com
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    I've had good dealings with Centraal Cycles in Beverly, Western Cycles in Danvers, and Seaside in Manchester. I do most of my own tooling so I rarely have anyone fixing my bike.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

My Favorite MTB Shops in MA

My personal favorite:

The Bicycle Shop in Topsfield MA: A very small shop with a single owner (who is also the sales staff) and a mechanic. Very good prices with reasonable service. I purchased my 2009 Kona Dawg Deluxe from this shop for $2100 during Kona's 2009 Dual Suspension Sale. Dave (the owner) installed an XT cassette (at no charge) and sold me a pair of Time Carbon ATAC pedals at a very reasonable price. A very honest bike shop

I find that while Belmont Wheelworks have a great selection; their service can vary from very good to poor. Personally, I find that if you good during the week in the evenings that the service is very good. On the weekends they are so busy that customer service suffers a quite a bit.

I am still looking to find a good and honest bike shop in the Boston metro area.

Personally, I think you do better going out of the Boston metro area to find a good bike shop.

Just my opinion,

John
    Last edited by john1970; 03-11-2010 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Belmont Wheelworks sucks pretty much love full retail and don't want to ever swing a deal even after you bought a Nomad from them.

International Bikes in Newton is good to deal with, I find their staff very friendly to deal with and willing to cut deals.

Landry's in Norwood are good guys too

mtbr member
    Internation Bicycle Center
    http://internationalbike.com/
    Allston, MA

JRA Cycles
    www.jracycles.com
    Medford, MA

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc
    Milford Bike in Milford Mass- great guys and they will truly do what it takes to keep their customers ( new and old) happy.
    Another plug here for Milford Bike, they take care of there customers ,they know what they are talking about , they actually ride the trails and help build them too. and if you are really interested they usually have demo bike for you to take out on real rides.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have good luck with

Landry's in Natick has been really great to deal with for me (there are other locations also)

Milford Bikes...once again

Rockland Cycles Dave the owner (and he does everything) is a great guy and awesome wheel builder. He will keep you happy and rolling.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thank you

Thanks again everyone!

This is great info. We really appreciate your comments and insight on the shops. Ultimately it's the customer (you!) we are trying to reach and make happy, so it's perfect.

Take care,

Hans / Ibis

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bike Shops

Providence Bicycles - my dad bought his bike from here and the salesman ther was so rediculously nice and easy to talk to. We were interested in Specialized bikes so he gave us a dvd about them.

Casters Cycles - I bought my bike from here. They have a large selection of mtb and road stuff and everyone there is really great. Before my test ride of bikes they tuned them up and let me ride em all over the place.
    2009 Specialized Hardrock
    Silence is Golden! Ductape is Silver!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Related Question

Hi New England,
    Scot from Ibis this time...
    We want to make a swing through New England sometime in the next few months. We'll have our Sprinter full of DEMO Mojos and HDs and Trannys and who knows what else....
    In addition to figuring out who our retailers will be out there-and meeting the existing ones-we would really like to plan our trip around an event or two. Festival, race, benefit, 24 hour, frat party, somebody's birthday, naked crit...
    So the question for the group is, when should we come and what events should we think about attending?
    Out here we love events like Downieville (race) and Mountain Bike Oregon (rides). These are multi day events in great places to ride. One day events are fine too.
    I looked on the Mass forum and saw the D-Day Expo June 27, but we're already in Park City UT that weekend...
    Lay it on me!
    Scot

mtbr member
    NEMBA Fest (Oct 9-10, Allentown, NH) and VT MTB Festival (July 17- 18 in Waterbury, VT) would be my picks for max. exposure.

Rider of Bikes
    Racing Series

Eastern Fat Tire: http://www.efta.com/content/blogsection/8/47/

Root 66 Series http://www.root66raceseries.com/page/7-race-schedule

Events
    New England Mountain Bike http://www.nemba.org/nembaevents/events.html

I hope this helps,
    Sherp

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Depends what you need the shop for.

I've been to a few, and they all have different strengths/weaknesses.

Wheelworks does not 'suck', but it is not ideal for everything. If you are an avid biker and know what you want, this is a greate place to shop because:

a.) They have a huge inventory of bikes and gear
    b.) They let you demo the bikes on a real trail to see if you like it

I do not find their prices overly high, and because they have big inventory, they typically have a lot of good deals on last years model, in all sizes as opposed to just 'extra small' or something.

That being said it is big and impersonal, and in my opinion, the staff is hit or miss, as is the service. There's some guys there that aren't easy to deal with. Some don't know what the hell they are talking about. Par for the course when you have a staff that big. They can't hire all experts. Also, as a beginner I would find going there intimidating, I think.

I personally like the service at Bicycles plus in Franklin. They have a pretty good stock of spares. New bike inventory is pretty anemic, but if you're looking for parts/service, I haven't found any place that I've liked more. Scott and his Dad are cool and have always treated me very well. I've picked up three bikes there for me and my family and have been happy with all of them.

Milford bike is pretty good, too. I bought a bike there for my brother-in-law and a lot of times they have odd small parts lying around if you need them in a pinch. Sometimes, at least in the past, they've been a little disorganized, but nothing severe. They organize a lot of group rides during the week, which is cool if you're looking to work yourself into a riding group.

Landry's and Cycle Loft I found very average. I had an issue with the Landry's near Bernie & Phyl's. Had a warrantee issue with a wheel on my new bike that the Trek rep screwed me on, and I didn't really get any support from them; I felt their response was weak at best. I'm not one to make a scene, so I let it slide after letting them politely know I disagreed, but they won't be my first option for new purchases anytime soon. I'm not one to try to get a warantee when I don't deserve it, and I was completely shocked this one was not honored AND that they didn't stick up for me with the rep. I had a conversation with the manager/owner of Cycle Loft once that left me unimpressed. I wanted to upgrade my brakes, he tried to sell me something I didn't need or want, and downplayed the importance of brakes on a mountain bike. Okay then....

I've never been to JRA cycles, but I ran into a guy that worked there in Vietnam and ended up riding with him for like an hour, and he was really cool and an awesome biker. Doesn't necessarily mean it IS a good shop, but definitely a good sign.

over my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Hi New England,
    Scot from Ibis this time...
    We want to make a swing through New England sometime in the next few months. We'll have our Sprinter full of DEMO Mojos and HDs and Trannys and who knows what else....
    In addition to figuring out who our retailers will be out there-and meeting the existing ones-we would really like to plan our trip around an event or two. Festival, race, benefit, 24 hour, frat party, somebody's birthday, naked crit...
    So the question for the group is, when should we come and what events should we think about attending?
    Out here we love events like Downieville (race) and Mountain Bike Oregon (rides). These are multi day events in great places to ride. One day events are fine too.
    I looked on the Mass forum and saw the D-Day Expo June 27, but we're already in Park City UT that weekend...
    Lay it on me!
    Scot
    It's too bad PEDROSFEST is over - that's where you would want to go - then roll to Mt. Snow...
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bullymadison
    It's too bad PEDROSFEST is over - that's where you would want to go - then roll to Mt. Snow...
    Yes, that would have been our first choice. Where are all the cool event entrepreneurs out there?

over my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Yes, that would have been our first choice. Where are all the cool event entrepreneurs out there?
    Maybe it should be the IBISFEST...?
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Petersons bike shop in Raynham and Serious Cycles in Plymouth. I've had really good luck at both of those shops.

mike
    serious cycles in plymouth

mtbr member

Bike shops and event info

Hey Hans, Scot, I have been a big Ibis fan since the old steel days! I bought my carbon mojo at International Bike Center, and I have bought a Kona there back in the early 90's. They were nice at IBC, but both purchases were filled with mixed communications and parts mix-ups. I would not go there voluntarily, they just happened to have a couple brands I dug.

JRA-these guys are great! I have been in there browsing for bikes and buy accessories there and they are very cool and low key.

Western Cycle in Danvers though is the top place for me. These guys sell Transition and they have given me great advice on repairs, are super-friendly and they have offered to ride with me and hang out at Highland bike park. they have some nice road bikes too. I love their vibe and they seem to know what they are doing. I go here for my gear.

I am mixed regarding Ace Wheelworks. I have had good and bad experiences. I prefer the kind of shops where you can hang out and chat with the employees and maybe go for a ride with them. Ace and Cycle loft are not those places. Cycle loft is another place that I won't go to again. They totally talked down to me while I was trying to buy some training wheels for my son. They didn't know that I am into biking I guess and treated me like a moron.

For an event I don't know if you can do it but opening day at Highland Mountain (May 7th, big day May 8th, 9th)is lots of fun and packed. They rent Trek and have Sinister Bikes guys parked in the lot, but lots of high profile riders and their sponsors camp out in the lot with demo bikes etc. For the HD and regular mojo this would be a great place. If you have some tranny's set up as slalom bikes it could be cool too. I ride my mojo there sometimes for the blue and green trails and people always stop and talk about Ibis with me. The mojo rips on the bermy trails. Granted most people are on full DH bikes (like I am sometimes), but the HD really would be a perfect fit there. If you don't know of the place, it is about 1.5 hours North of Boston in NH and it is lift access trails and dirt jump, pump track, kind of place. Sort of like a mini-Whistler with trails for everyone. Bermy fast trails, jump trails, gnarly rocky DH trails etc. Everyone I met there has been super nice. PLEASE PLEASE go! Highlandmountain.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks everyone for all the info. We'll let you know about any swing we're going to take back there. All the shop info is very helpful.
    Scot

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    JRA in Medford is the most "corp" mountain bike shop near Boston.... IMO of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Demo Time Page

I update this page daily or sometimes several times daily
    http://ibiscycles.com/demo_time/
    It shows the stops of the Ibis Demo Van.
    We also have a road trip page ... the demo page is more accurate, but doesn't go out as far.
    Still working on New England, thanks everyone for piping in.
    Scot

Class Clown
    I live near JRA and go there from time to time. It's a good shop from what I can tell, they will take the time to talk and answer questions. I did buy my first real MTB at Belmont Wheelworks, was riding it home and the handlebars had not been tightened all the way! I think it can be hit and miss with their staff. But hey John Kerry shops there lol.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Union Cycle Attleboro Ma good group of guys Rick the owner is an avid cyclist and a good guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Demo Schedule Getting Dialed In

Howdy All,
    Thanks for the great feedback.
    We've got a couple of demo dates for you guys.
    June 2nd in Stowe VT at iRide on 3-7PM
    June 3rd Exeter NH at Wheel Power for the Thursday evening shop ride.
    June 4th Friday visiting Boston area shops, gathering intel.
    June 5th Demo from JRA, 10AM-4PM they're a close hop over to Middlesex Fells for demos.
    June 6th at Burrows in Brattleboro VT from 9AM-4PM

Please let anybody know who you think might be interested. If there are any NEMBA folks, please post at your Chapter's boards if you have them.

Thanks again everyone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just had my bikes gone through at Western and service was top notch.

BackBay Bikes in Boston, I havent dealt with them in 2-3 years, but when i did they were my only shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wheelworks and Ace have always done well by me. Yes, there are some less than ideal individuals who work there, but there's no way the entire staff of a large shop is going to constantly impress. That said, the employees that I do know are very stand up guys and gals. I've purchased two bikes from Wheelworks and have always been cut a deal. As well, when I've run into an issue building up a project bike or something of that nature, I have always been welcomed in to trouble shoot with someone more knowledgeable than I (when it's not too busy, of course).

Cycleloft on the other hand have been less than enjoyable. The majority of their employees have been friendly enough (aside from one of their senior staff), but they're approach is very "by the book". I've been in there tons for various bits, pieces and help over the last 5 years, and I'm always charged the maximum. I can understand charging for your time and whatnot, but when I frequent the shop and give a good bit of business, I'm not happy when I end up nickle-and-dimed. For example, is it really necessary to charge me 15 dollars to remount a tire that is already on the rim (with tube), but is a bit too tight to finish off with the cheaper plastic tire levers I was using? Or charging me for scrap brake cable housing when I need 8" of it.

Anyways, of the shops in my immediate vicinity, I'd go for Wheelworks or Ace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have purchased both my bikes from Wheelworks and both experiences have been great. Each time the the sales guy has spent all the time I needed answering my questions and has been very patient with me and treated me fairly.

I also have never had an issue with the service side either. Some of the mechanics are not overly friendly, however, on most occasions they were able to help me on the spot and fix whatever issue I may have been having.

I will admit when I first started going there I was a bit intimidated due to the size of the place and my lack of knowledge. But over time the intimidation feeling has gone away.

It also help that Wheelworks is less than a mile from my house.

Expensive Mistake
    Sep 2007
    cycle loft is my least favorite so far. i've been ignored numerous times while shopping for a new bike. And service is extremely over priced (almost 2x more than most places). I get a snobby vibe in there too.

jra has a very relaxed atmosphere and everyone there was very helpful when i was shopping for a new bike.

international bicycle center in newton was great the one time i went there. I was looking for mineral oil and they only had bulk, so he filled a little squeeze bottle they used in the shop and only charged me $5 (normally costs $10ish for that amount).
    2009 Kona Kahuna 29er
    2010 Dawes Deadeye

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Not to talk up Cycleloft up but I have purchased 3 bikes from them - 2 of them were in 2006 and the 3rd was just last month. Now, I do have to say they are very much geared to road bikes - just check out their whole upstairs. The guys I have dealt with have been OK, not overly impressive at all.
    First when purchasing the new bike, the guy recommended the 19" frame for my brother, I am like well, he is like maybe 3 inches taller than me, I would go with the 17" since I am on the 15", bike fit him perfect, but really there is no way to know until you sit on both right?
    Second, even when i bought 2 bikes, 2 helmets, 2 shirts, 1 pump, 3 water bottles they still did not give me a deal. The guy actually said to me that they only really make deals when people spend over 2k on a bike. (wow talk about going to the high end crowd).
    As far as service, I have nothing to complain about, they have been helpful and knowledgeable and seem to be the only people who actually ride in the store. I did have a problem when purchasing a new fork, took the bike in later that day to get it put on, the tech explained to me that it would not fit, and then proceeded to take my bike apart and show me just in case. It was not his fault that it did not fit, but he did yell at the guy who sold it to me.

Overall, they are better than Chelmsford Cyclery. They are not great, but they have my business since I am only like 4 miles away from them.

mtbr member
    At 61 years old, I've been in many a bike shop. I have to say that JRA is the most laid back, low pressure, aim to please shop. My last 2 bikes were purchased there including my last bike, a 29er. If he doesn't have it, he'll get it. I like a shop that not only the owner, but even the techs know my name.

JRA -Medford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast