Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Who are the best dealers for MTB?

Hello Massachusetts!

If any of you have recommendations for dealers in your area, we would be interested to hear who's doing a good job taking care of you. It's more important to us that the shop have a good vibe and enthusiasm than to be the biggest, though big is fine too.

Cheers!

Hans

Rider of Bikes
    Belmont Wheel Works http://wheelworks.com/

mtbr member
    Currently I have been using Peterson's Bike Shop in Raynham. It's small, but they're very helpful. The owner has been really helpful to me since I started going there a few months ago. They also do rides twice a week (though a lot of them are road rides in the summer), usually at Massasoit or Freetown, sometimes Otis.

http://petersonsbikeshop.com/

mtbr member
    JRA in Medford rocks.
    '11 Surly Necromancer
    '11 Pivot Mach 429
    '10 Intense Uzzi
    '07 Czar Stock
    '07 P3
    '05 Mrazek Hardtail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpa2000
    Belmont Wheel Works http://wheelworks.com/
    You mean "Belmont wheel Jerks" Bunch of F-N clowns......JRA in Medford, Western Cycle in Danvers, or go see Marc at his new shop in Beverly "Centraal Cycle" (yes that's how he spells it)...I don't use bike shops very often but if ever I'm in a jam these are my go to shops...I'm well over 20 yrs in the bike game and Belmont Wheel is the biggest joke of a bike shop that I've ever had to deal with.....CF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    You mean "Belmont wheel Jerks" Bunch of F-N clowns......JRA in Medford, Western Cycle in Danvers, or go see Marc at his new shop in Beverly "Centraal Cycle" (yes that's how he spells it)...I don't use bike shops very often but if ever I'm in a jam these are my go to shops...I'm well over 20 yrs in the bike game and Belmont Wheel is the biggest joke of a bike shop that I've ever had to deal with.....CF.
    I was just thinking about the last time I had to deal with these clowns (nightmare story) and I remembered that there was this ONE young kid who was a really good guy, he could see just how bad the other monkeys had dropped the ball and he went above and behond to try and help me..I can't remember his name (I think he had some kind of funky hair-do) and he sat at that little desk thing-e in the front of the store...But I just wanted to say this because if not for him (and my son) it could have gotton VERY ugly in there that day..So it's only 99% clown central.........CF.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I second CFs recommendations having done business with all those shops. All good guys with a passion for biking.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    You mean "Belmont wheel Jerks"
    I moved into Davis Square in 1988 and have been a regular at both Ace Wheelworks and Belmont Wheelworks since then (though I live in Arlington so Belmont is a bit more convenient), and wholeheartedly disagree. Even though I do most of my shopping online, I still hit them up for the essentials (was just there today to get cables and housing). They are knowledgeable and very friendly. I like the fact they know my name, too. They're one of the only shops I trust working on my bikes when I'm too lazy to do it myself. The last two sets of wheels they built (again, the laziness), were fantastic. They have a wide selection also and will let you take any bike for a ride in the conservation land nearby. My fiancee & I just bought our nephew his first mountain bike and the entire experience was hassle-free.

You could also check out Landry's, The Cycle Loft or International Bike. They're bigger places, like Belmont. As for smaller shops, I really like Cambridge Bicycle (been popping in and out of there since 1988 also). They cater more towards the city rider (i.e. fixie folks), but I found them easy to talk with and the service shop knowledgeable.

My last two bikes were done purchased through Grace Bicycles in Hopkinton. Roy Cervantes is a great guy (former Seven employee). He focuses more on road bikes, but he'll get you whatever you want. I had him order my Independent Fabrication Deluxe (as well as my Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel) and he does great work. He's building me a set of wheels for my single speed project and is reasonably priced for that sort of thing (cheaper than Belmont). He's right near Vietnam also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is great stuff, much appreciated...

Please keep it coming if there are more comments.

Thanks again,

Hans

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Berkshire Bike and Board

In Gt Barrington . They take good care of me . Staffed by riders ,not posers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i liked the service that i have received at jra in medford. did not really like belmont wheelworks or quadcycles in arlington

mtbr member
    I'd pick Belmont Wheelworks (Belmont location), The Cycle Loft (Burlington), and Providence Bike (yeah, RI not MA, but still one of the best). Nice thing about Belmont is that they give equal billing to women's bikes and gear--makes them my wife's favorite shop. Personally, I prefer Providence Bike. They're a bit less mainstream in their brand selection and have a better vibe on the MTB side of things. Belmont IMO has more of a road bike feel.

mtbr member
    Haven't had any problems with Bike Alley in Worcester...there are a couple guys there that really know their stuff.

http://www.bikealley.com/

the test dummy
    Milford bicycle very help full and contributed a lot of time and money to the trails i ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    JRA Cycles in Medford is #1 for me -- http://www.jracycles.com/
    Best bunch of guys to deal with, best vibe, etc.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cycle Loft #2 http://cycleloft.com/
    Much bigger store so I don't find them as personable or get that great small shop vibe but
    they are professional and have a good selection. I go there when I am looking for something specific from Specialized.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Been to Wheelworks several times and can't say I've had a bad experience but also never got a "warm fuzzy feeling" or good vibes.

~Frank
    www.ragemtb.com

mtbr member

Union Cycle

I've never have had a problem with Union Cycle in Attleboro. They have worked on my bike and I've never hesitated to send other people there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Foxco in Dracut, only carries specialized but the Owner is very knowledgable and gives great personalized service

mtbr member

Best in my book

West Hill shop in Putney Vermont. http://www.westhillshop.com/index.aspx. I know they're not in Mass but they are about 20 minutes from where I work in North Western Mass. Definitely worth the drive.

Very helpful, knowledgeable and very supportive of the local cycling scene. They put on a great mountain bike race and cyclocross race every year as well. The mechanics are for real and Rob is always in a great mood. Overall great vibe. Highly recommended.
    Team Bikeman.com
    Life is like riding a bicycle.
    To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
    -Albert Einstein

mdc
    mtbr member
    Milford Bike in Milford Mass- great guys and they will truly do what it takes to keep their customers ( new and old) happy.

Providence Cycle- really a nice shop, great mtb and road selection, really good mechanics as well...

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    Hello Massachusetts!

If any of you have recommendations for dealers in your area, we would be interested to hear who's doing a good job taking care of you. It's more important to us that the shop have a good vibe and enthusiasm than to be the biggest, though big is fine too.

Cheers!

Hans
    Best two shops in the state right here:

Cycleloft.com
    www.jracycles.com
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

MC MasterShake
    I've had good dealings with Centraal Cycles in Beverly, Western Cycles in Danvers, and Seaside in Manchester. I do most of my own tooling so I rarely have anyone fixing my bike.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

My Favorite MTB Shops in MA

My personal favorite:

The Bicycle Shop in Topsfield MA: A very small shop with a single owner (who is also the sales staff) and a mechanic. Very good prices with reasonable service. I purchased my 2009 Kona Dawg Deluxe from this shop for $2100 during Kona's 2009 Dual Suspension Sale. Dave (the owner) installed an XT cassette (at no charge) and sold me a pair of Time Carbon ATAC pedals at a very reasonable price. A very honest bike shop

I find that while Belmont Wheelworks have a great selection; their service can vary from very good to poor. Personally, I find that if you good during the week in the evenings that the service is very good. On the weekends they are so busy that customer service suffers a quite a bit.

I am still looking to find a good and honest bike shop in the Boston metro area.

Personally, I think you do better going out of the Boston metro area to find a good bike shop.

Just my opinion,

John
    Last edited by john1970; 03-11-2010 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Belmont Wheelworks sucks pretty much love full retail and don't want to ever swing a deal even after you bought a Nomad from them.

International Bikes in Newton is good to deal with, I find their staff very friendly to deal with and willing to cut deals.

Landry's in Norwood are good guys too

mtbr member
    Internation Bicycle Center
    http://internationalbike.com/
    Allston, MA

JRA Cycles
    www.jracycles.com
    Medford, MA

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc
    Milford Bike in Milford Mass- great guys and they will truly do what it takes to keep their customers ( new and old) happy.
    Another plug here for Milford Bike, they take care of there customers ,they know what they are talking about , they actually ride the trails and help build them too. and if you are really interested they usually have demo bike for you to take out on real rides.
    I'm Better known as Splat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast