Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JRUSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    189

    Where do you ride?

    I finally got into riding late in the season last year. Now that this winter has completely sucked, I've been dying to get out there again!

    Just wondering what your opinions were on great places to ride in eastern Mass.

    I pretty much rode the Fells a bunch of times and Lynn Woods only once last year and I look forward to hitting them again this season but I would like to get out there and explore more....especially since I live in Salem and those are both within a 15 minute drive.

    So...where do you all ride?? What's it like? What do you recommend? Post pics if you've got them.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    174
    Check Busted Spoke and Bikerag . com they have a lot of good info. Also look at the trail reviews link at the top of this page. Nemba . com would be another good source

  3. #3
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    I finally got into riding late in the season last year. Now that this winter has completely sucked, I've been dying to get out there again!

    Just wondering what your opinions were on great places to ride in eastern Mass.

    I pretty much rode the Fells a bunch of times and Lynn Woods only once last year and I look forward to hitting them again this season but I would like to get out there and explore more....especially since I live in Salem and those are both within a 15 minute drive.

    So...where do you all ride?? What's it like? What do you recommend? Post pics if you've got them.

    Thanks!
    Lynn Woods is my backyard. Anytime you want to get a showing of the goods give me a holla!



    theckids@comcast.com
    Last edited by yogreg; 03-04-2005 at 05:54 AM.
    Voltron

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JRUSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Lynn Woods is my backyard. Anytime you want to get a showing of the goods give me a holla!

    look at this post....http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=578904

    theckids@comcast.com

    Just might take you up on that offer...thanks. When was the last time you got to ride...in decent enough terrain? I was itching to get out a few weeks back when we hit 60...but never got around to it. Spring can't come soon enough....

  5. #5
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    Just might take you up on that offer...thanks. When was the last time you got to ride...in decent enough terrain? I was itching to get out a few weeks back when we hit 60...but never got around to it. Spring can't come soon enough....
    I pretty much stop riding during the winter and focus on Snowboarding. Bad winter for mountain bikes good for snowboarding. Although I was doing some work on my bike and started to get the itch.

    Lynn Woods and the Fells are closed during the winter. Reopen around April 15th. Harold Parker is open for riding and is great in the spring and winter when there is less snow.
    Voltron

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JRUSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    I pretty much stop riding during the winter and focus on Snowboarding. Bad winter for mountain bikes good for snowboarding. Although I was doing some work on my bike and started to get the itch.

    Lynn Woods and the Fells are closed during the winter. Reopen around April 15th. Harold Parker is open for riding and is great in the spring and winter when there is less snow.
    I've actually heard decent things about Harold Parker....nothing too technical or anything, just a decent ride.

    Yeah, I know they're closed but that certainly doesn't stop people from going out. My girlfriend lives in the Fells area and we see people out there all the time. Kinda sucks if the trails get ripped up - but that whole debate will go on forever because it's not just the mountain bikers.

    Personally...I've been counting down the days to April 15th since it closed on Jan 1. It's gotten so bad that I've considered trying snowboarding...but then I think back to my first skiing experience and I think I'll just stick to 2 wheels.

  7. #7
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,997

    What's up?

    You might be aware of this stuff, but anywho....

    http://nemba.org/ridingzone/places-ma.html
    http://www.ragemtb.com/maps/maps.htm

    Lots of great places to ride in MA. These two links will point out a bunch of places with info on how to get there (but there is overlap). Both of these groups have membership and offer group rides if you surf to their respective forums. Rage has free membership, and its nonpolitical. Basically its all about rides.

    NEMBA membership is for a fee, but they fight for trail access and help maintain trails. Its a worthy and tax-deductable investment. It would be great to consider NEMBA membership, but thats a personal decision.

    One example of what NEMBA can accomplish is that it bought and saved land from development just for mountainbikers (but all nonmotorized users are welcome). This land is known as Vietnam (in the city of Milford). Its about an hour out of Boston and worth checking out.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459
    I don't know how far Gordon college is from salem but it was acceptable riding.to be honest I don't really know what town it's in. it's on the way to gloucester. Harold parker had some xc technical sections that were good. I've never been too lynn woods, I would but I don't like riding at highly popular places.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JRUSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    I don't know how far Gordon college is from salem but it was acceptable riding.to be honest I don't really know what town it's in. it's on the way to gloucester. Harold parker had some xc technical sections that were good. I've never been too lynn woods, I would but I don't like riding at highly popular places.

    Yeah, I actually heard the same...but was skeptical. Gordon college is in Wenham which is a few towns over from Salem. Is it legitimate mountain biking trails or more like xc trails for the track team or something?

  10. #10
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    I've actually heard decent things about Harold Parker....nothing too technical or anything, just a decent ride.

    Yeah, I know they're closed but that certainly doesn't stop people from going out. My girlfriend lives in the Fells area and we see people out there all the time. Kinda sucks if the trails get ripped up - but that whole debate will go on forever because it's not just the mountain bikers.

    Personally...I've been counting down the days to April 15th since it closed on Jan 1. It's gotten so bad that I've considered trying snowboarding...but then I think back to my first skiing experience and I think I'll just stick to 2 wheels.
    There are some super tech. trails out in HP. you just have to know where they are.
    Voltron

  11. #11
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,997
    Heard there might be a mountain lion lurking around the woods near Gordon, if that adds spice to the ride...
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    75

    Wompatuk State Park

    We ride at Wampatuck State Park, Hingham MA. all the time and it's great! About 5o miles of trails and about 30 miles paved.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    148
    welcome--NEMBA just posted their list of group rides and fun events with dates and places. HP is very good as is bear brook sp in SE new hampshire (that the place with the rock stair trail??) which are in your area, somewhat-- like others have mentioned, LOADS of good riding all over the place. winter?? as odd as this sounds, i think its sort of a blessing in disguise that i CANT ride year round like other places--not saying i would experience any kinda burnout but wouldnt want to temp it. besides my bike would never get rebuilt or worked on like it shoul see ya out there

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    Yeah, I actually heard the same...but was skeptical. Gordon college is in Wenham which is a few towns over from Salem. Is it legitimate mountain biking trails or more like xc trails for the track team or something?

    I don't know the inside story but where I was riding never saw any runners and don't think they would want to run there. closer to the college it's wide hard packed narrow roads but somehow we found some good stuff without ever been before.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JRUSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    I don't know the inside story but where I was riding never saw any runners and don't think they would want to run there. closer to the college it's wide hard packed narrow roads but somehow we found some good stuff without ever been before.
    very cool...good info - thanks.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NSrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    very cool...good info - thanks.
    Hey Dude-

    I know the Gordon woods pretty well, ride there quite a bit. Its actually a pretty rockin ride. If you want to hook up on a ride there sometime let me know. If this F'n snow ever gets outa here. I'm up in the North Shore. PM me or smerloni@summitgeotech.com.

    Later Scott

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    122

    Hp?

    Where exactly is this Harold Parker? I (we) ride mainly north shore. There are alot of great tech trails here, you just have to find them.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NSrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by poweraide
    Where exactly is this Harold Parker? I (we) ride mainly north shore. There are alot of great tech trails here, you just have to find them.
    HP (Harold Parker) is in Andover, from the North Shore entrance is off of Rte 114 on the left. Its some pretty fun trails, xc single track with some tech thown in. Not as tech as you see on the North Shore, but good stuff.

    Scott

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NickTheBrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    37
    Great Brook Farm is excellent for a newbie - lots of fast singletrack. Let me know in the Spring (whenever the hell that is) if you want a tour and I'd be happy to oblige...
    Brick walls are there for a reason...

  20. #20
    wompy
    Reputation: bikergeoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    69
    I too ride wompatuck, It's a fun place, but for the best experience, you got to get someone to show you the goods, aka the playground

Similar Threads

  1. Singletrack snow ride on an 18 wheeler....... at night.
    By Objectionable Material in forum Passion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 03:46 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 01:42 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:45 AM
  5. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 05:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •