mtbr member

... and if we just ... What are you rollin' on?

Just thought I would get some feedback on some good rubbers? What works well for our local hotspots for spring, summer, and fall riding? I am talkin' about a good "all around" performing tire that is good rollin', has durable side walls, hooks up well on our roots, rocks, and mud, and keeps a smile on our face after we hit those corners real hard and still keep rollin'.

Send whatever feedback you can despite riding xc, trail, or freeride. Thanks
    It's all cycle-logical to me.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    2.3 Blue groove in Front and a 2.3 Nevegal in the rear. Both tires held up remarkably well through a season of riding. Have you gotten the bike yet? The weather this week is looking good.
    M.

Black Lion
    I am backing Maxxis tires.

Current setup is a 2.3 wire bead Hansventure front and rear.
    When conditions get a dry I switch the front tire to a 2.3 Lopes Bling Bling also wire bead. Super fast rolling, and corners like a mother.
    Minions work well in the fall when you are looking for some beef and some stickiness.

I really dig Michelin 24.1 soft tires for Lynn Woods.
    I know the current rage is for Kenda sticky tires, They do stick like velcro, but I think their sidewalls are super thin and flexy unless you get the DH casings, which makes them too heavy.
    Last edited by yogreg; 03-28-2006 at 09:31 AM.
    Voltron

mtbr member

Still puttin' together a build...

No Aixelsyd, not yet. I am still working on the build. Hence the post. On paper I have most of the bike together, and I am toying with the idea of a new wheelset. Right now I have Kenda K-rad 2.3 laced to mavic xm321 (great rims!) on my SS and they are great for urban rides and hardpack, but terrible once things start to loosen up

Anyhow, looks like late April, but probably May until this project finally comes together. I am working with Larry at Mtn. High whom I highly recommend. Best prices and unbeatable service. The guy really knows his stuff and makes sure the customer is happy and ridin'.

And yes the weather seems to be like spring again. I will be takin' the SS out to Harold Parker sometime this week. Nothin' real serious just some meanderin' through the woods.

We'll definitely hook up once the pack comes through. Thanks for the tire recs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimai

And yes the weather seems to be like spring again. I will be takin' the SS out to Harold Parker sometime this week. Nothin' real serious just some meanderin' through the woods.
    Bring that SS out this Thursday 4:30 same place I met you before. Should be a great time.

I guess I'm part of the Kenda rage. Got the Kenda Kinetics stick-ee front and back. They are Spiderman grippy, they do have thin sidewalls but never had any probs with that. The negs are they wear pretty fast (I need new rear rubber). And they are slow rollers (but so am I).

Scott

mtbr member

Sounds like a plan

Hey Scott,

I am heading out there this afternoon to get a feel for the place. Seems like it has potential although my K-rads don't hook up worth a damn. I wouldn't want to slow you and your crew down with all my pushing the SS up the climbs

Anyhow, I'll see how today goes and maybe I'll shoot up Thursday as well if my schedule permits. If not then happy trails and stay in touch.

-Alexander

mtbr member
    I don't think you'd slow us down, we can't be much slower Every time I've ever ridden with a SSer they put me to shame.

Scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    When conditions get a dry I switch the front tire to a 2.3 Lopes Bling Bling also wire bead. Super fast rolling, and corners like a mother.
    Minions work well in the fall when you are looking for some beef and some stickiness.
    I'm in AZ and just picked one of these up for my desert trails. Should be a big improvement over my Panaracer XC "slicks." The Panies kept pushin' me out of the corner. I got a Freeride Minion for the rear.

KB1LQC
    Currently riding SS with a Bostrager jones AC B 2.1" on the rear whatever came on my bike (IRC?) 1.95" in the front. I was out riding on sunday with my brother and friend at Great Brook Farm State Park (Literally 3 miles down the road i just ride to the park). the place was muddt as hell and im talking sticky molases type mud (little bit of clay?) on the acorn trails and my friend was riding some kenda nevagals and those jsut clogged up and actes as slicks haha all you could see waht the tire fruitlessly spinning was pretty funny. But even though some people complain that the AC's clog easy... they didnt even begin to clogg...yeah they were a pain being 2.1" in that mud but they didnt clog and i didnt have to stop.. or worse... put my foot out into the mud haha.
    Been riding it for almost a year now and contemplating going to a 1.95 again just because i ride mainly XC with tihs bike ('05 Jamis Durango Sport SX) and converted it to SS. I wanna get to the quickness of the smaller tires... we will see what shows up at the store..im buiding up a DJ/urban so i wont spend much on a tire so ill have to see what shows up...

just my 2 cents..

Bryce
    Bryce S.

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
    Electrical Engineering 2012!