mtbr member
    Nov 2013

What/when/where dry?

Recently relocated from CA and finally got myself settled in the Foxboro area. MA seems to have way more opportunity for riding than what I am used to and I'm pumped to get out and explore. This whole mud season thing is new though. Does everything around here typically dry out by mid-April (except the cape) or is it a mix across the area? I want to get out but don't want to tear up the trails. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey, welcome to MA. You have some great Riding right in your backyard at Gilbert Hills. You're also right near Borderland and not a far drive from Blue Hills. You can also make it to Ames Nowell and Wompatuck in about 45 minutes.

As for the mud season the best riding is actually on the Cape. Most of the riding down there drains really well due to the unique solid and the winters tend to be less harsh there. This winter was a mess throughout the state. This was the first Easter in 12 years that I didn't ride. Blue Hills should be rideable by next weekend, but a lot of the other trails might take another week or two. I would assume Gilbert Hills is still pretty wet and maybe even frozen in some parts. I've never been to Borderland so I don't know that terrain.

A good resource outside of this forums to get acquainted with NEMBA (New England Mountain Bike Association) and their local chapters. A lot of riders post trail updates on Facebook through the chapter Facebook pages.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Mud season is pretty much over, at least up here in the Merrimack Valley. To borrow a phrase from skiing, the ropes just dropped this weekend at Landlocked Forest in Burlington, Russel Mill in Chelmsford, Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsborough State Forest, and Harold Parker SF.

Yes, there is still some water out there, but be smart and it's all rideable. That's the word anyway.

Down your way, I'm not so sure. But being from CA, you'd consider the haul up here a short Sunday drive.

+1 on joining NEMBA. We've got lots of good rides throughout the week. Great way to get plugged into the local scene and meet some people.

And oh yeah - welcome to the BEAST COAST!!!!! Way better than the Worst Coast. As much as mud season sucks, droughts are even worse. We also have deciduous trees, seasons, cider donuts, fall riding, and snow. And real dirt.

mtbr member
    I was in your area this weekend and rode Gilbert Hill park. Some snow still on the fire-roads but over all the trails were in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cape is bone dry. Fells (up north) is close until the 17th or 18th, and while most is dry, there are some swampy bits around. I'd imagine most everything will be good in a another week or two depending how much rain we get. Once you stay above freezing for a couple weeks, the trees really drink up and the dirt settles down fast.

Welcome to the east! Hope you like rocks and roots!

+2 for NEMBA by the way. Lots of group rides and events, and they keep the trails accessible and in great shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode 90 minutes at Wompatuck yesterday (was on a tight deadline, and the park is at the end of my street). I avoided the spots that I knew would be underwater, and there is some snow on the roads between trail heads, but overall it was ok. I did have to ride across some standing water, walked around the deeper spots, but also had quite a few stretches were I could ride 10 minutes without stepping off. I did a bit of trail clean up, but overall the trails were decent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Would note reservoir loop and E15 were fine. Nature Study trails still had some snow, and a 200 ft shallow puddle crossing, but fun.. I stayed on the Cohasset side, but suspect Hingham side is a bit muddier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterF1963 View Post
    I rode 90 minutes at Wompatuck yesterday (was on a tight deadline, and the park is at the end of my street). I avoided the spots that I knew would be underwater, and there is some snow on the roads between trail heads, but overall it was ok. I did have to ride across some standing water, walked around the deeper spots, but also had quite a few stretches were I could ride 10 minutes without stepping off. I did a bit of trail clean up, but overall the trails were decent.
    Thanks for the Wompy update. I'm going to head there tomorrow to put some miles in.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have fun, and bring a clean change of clothes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks all. Glad I should be okay getting out and about

mtbr member
    Just wanted to thank Dangur and the other participants in this thread. We are still wet up here in NH so based on the info in this thread I went and rode Lowell-Dracut (for the first time) today. Every trail I rode was basically bone dry and I had a blast. It was nice to get back out on the bike after a long winter. Glad I didn't have to travel too far to ride.
    2014 Diamondback Sortie 29 2.0
    2015 Diamondback DB8 27.5 DH

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by xjohnx77 View Post
    Just wanted to thank Dangur and the other participants in this thread. We are still wet up here in NH so based on the info in this thread I went and rode Lowell-Dracut (for the first time) today. Every trail I rode was basically bone dry and I had a blast. It was nice to get back out on the bike after a long winter. Glad I didn't have to travel too far to ride.
    Glad you had fun! I road LDT back on Monday. Man was it good to get back there. Definitely one of the best trail systems in the area. I'm looking forward to NH thawing out, though, too. Gotta love Bear Brook!

mtbr member
    Is there anything besides Womp that's ready? I have no plans this weekend (first time I've had a low key weekend in a LONG time) and would love to get out. Still somewhat dubious with this kinda-wet Friday we're having...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Everything in the above discussion still stands. The little rain we've gotten is nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rode Willowdale today and it was bone dry, fast and flowy on the singletrack. Some big wet spots on the Fire roads but no big deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Road Blue Hills yesterday. For the most part is was hard and dry. The usual wet spots, but just be respectful of those areas. I noticed a few trails were washed out and showed significant erosion. I might have to change my usual loop. Buck Hill was in great shape; rode smooth and fast. Too bad I can't say the same for myself.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rode Rocky Woods until my seatpost binder failed midway through...had an epic that combined Adams Farm and Hale planned...bummer. Anyway near the bodies of water there were some wet spots...up higher was nice and dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bear99 View Post
    Is there anything besides Womp that's ready? I have no plans this weekend (first time I've had a low key weekend in a LONG time) and would love to get out. Still somewhat dubious with this kinda-wet Friday we're having...
    I rode Wompatuck last week and it was great, just one or two spots with standing water to get around. Everything should be ready to go by now.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Rode the Landlocked Forest today. 99% dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have three days in at Harold Parker with the last week or two and the trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Russell Mill in Chelmsford was in great shape today! Thanks goes out to the NEMBA crew that maintains RM.... Also, Stow Town Forest is completely dry......
    Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 04-26-2015 at 01:40 PM.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks again for the info. I've enjoyed a couple fun (but ridiculously rocky, jeez you weren't kidding about that) weekends at Wrentham and am planning to check out Foxboro and/or Adams farm next weekend. So far so good!