mtbr member

New question here. what types of bikes are you riding in the northeast?

Newer to the MTB scene - picking up my first "real" mountain bike within the next couple months. Probably will buy used or if I find a good closeout sale on a 2013 model.

What types of bikes are you guys riding in MA/NH/VT? Hardtail? FS? How much travel? The type of riding I'd like to be getting into are weekdays around the greater Boston area after work (Blue Hills, Fells, Lynn Woods if I'm feeling ambitious) and then out to Vietnam and up to Kingdom Trails when I can on the weekends.

I'm currently looking at mostly FS bikes:
    Trek Fuel
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Specialized Camber

I was looking at hardtails too like the Airborne Goblin and Trek X-Caliber.

Am I in the right category of bikes for the trails I'd be riding? I know I want to get into some aggressive trail riding (think Vietnam type stuff) and so therefore thought FS w/ ~120 mm travel would be the best bet. Is this too much bike for the northeast? Should I stick to HT?

FWIW, I'm coming from a Trek 3500, which is a pretty basic hardtail that I've beat up in the Fells and Blue Hills.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For some of the stuff you're talking about I'd think you'd want a FS. I went from a 29er HT to a Tallboy LT and the difference in general soreness was amazing. Even just XC stuff around here has lots of tree roots and stuff which for me the FS really helped smooth out.

That said, I'm a 37-year-old clyde, so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    it's all good, there is no standard answer other than 'run what ya brung'

Competent User

what types of bikes are you riding in the northeast?

The majority of people I ride with are FS and 29. There are just so many rocks and roots that it really helps make it more enjoyable, unless you're a pain cave kind of dude.

I am just now moving on from a 2012 camber 29 to a Tallboy LT. The camber took everything I had for it, but the LT is a monster.

The camber is for sale, by the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ok a real answer

I run a hardtail or rigid

reason ? sure I sometimes am in the pain cave for all the roots and rocks but I love it, and also get to laugh at everyone replacing shocks and busted bouncy parts while i still rock my 14 year old titanium hardtail like nothing. all I replace is chain/cogs/brakes...same as everyone else....so if you are 'into maintenance', get a bouncy bike. if you just wanna 'ride it and rip it and put it away wet' don't let rocks and roots fool you...it is all good. just ride.

PS: if you lift weights correctly to supplement MTB riding, roots and rocks are NOTHING. toss that bike around and over and through the crap wit relative ease, no sissy fully needed (*note: wish I had a fully, but also glad I don't. I am sick)

Competent User
    That's just, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've done NEMBA group rides where the front of the pack included everything from a SS rigid to a 150mm trail bike. There's no right answer here other than what you prefer. I personally prefer a hardtail when doing techy rock crawling trails. I find it much easier to move the bike around without the suspension soaking everything up. Putting down miles on even mild trails? Full suspension for me. My herniated disks won't have it any other way. Spring time? SS for me. Too many derailleur eating sticks.

What's the point of my above rambling? The variety present in the trails combined with riding style/preference means there is no right/wrong answer. Demo a bunch of bikes and find out what works for you.

blet drive
    Go ridigid ss and you will never have to worry about at that extra work of keeping the bike maintained. Belt drive is better to as you never have to lube your chain/ belt. More importantly ride what suites your style and if you are more in to the gnar than get a fs bike and rock it all day erry day.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Hardtail 29er 1x10 or Hardtail 29er SS.

I'm not so sure terrain is the major player in the North East; I think it's riding style. The terrain is mostly the same from Kingdom Trails to Bachelor st. It's all pretty much XC; bachelor st. being technical XC and Kingdom trails being smooth XC. Some like to grab air, others would rather romp up climbs quick.

What do you like to do? I'm not an air guy, but for rocks/cliffs/climbs, I like the above choices. If I liked to grab air, drops, and didn't mind going slower up climbs, then FS.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm a younger guy and I'm on a new-era slayer from rocky mountain and find that it kills absolutely any terrain in MA. Rips fast singletrack (such as Freetown) and slow technical singletrack (such as leominster SF) climbs like no one's business and I can still bomb it off the biggest drops and jumps at Vietnam, B St, and Highland. I have yet to see someone on a 29er hit the bigger drops at Vietnam and in my experience 26 or 27.5 kill it for the more hardcore technical jumpy stuff in MA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have been riding for about 5 years (I live 2 miles from WompatucK) and started on a used FS 26er with a 80mm of travel. A little more than a year ago I purchased a new Santa Cruz Superlight29 with 100mm of travel front and back. Rear travel helps soak up the rocks and roots and the larger wheels help me carry a bit more speed and it's comfy. I am switching my 3x10 SRAM x5/x7 Elixir 1 to. 1x10 XT set up. I never see to shift out of the middle ring and the 11-36 cassette gets me up the hills around here.
    Some of my friends ride HT's but it's a beat down for them at times especially after 2 hours or so. At 50 with a history of back issues, I'll take the weight penalty for comfort.
    If I rode solo I may have stuck with a 26, but it's hard keeping up with all the guys on their 29ers. But I like the 29er too once I got used to it.