IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

What else besides TOT, Otis and Vietnam?

Hi!

I'm looking for riding opportunities for the weekend. We're coming down to camp at Shawmee-Crowell and plan on riding 2-3 days down there...

I'll bring the group (3 couples) to Trail of Tears and ride it all in one day... The second day, i don't know... Maybe ride at Otis? But i've never been and not sure if i want to deal with the army thing... Any advice?

What about Nickerson SP? I heard a bunch of things last time i visited... Anything official out there? Worth it driving down far out on the cape to ride?

Any advices will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    (PS: If you travel to northern Vermont, i'll gladly return the favor and help you out, just visit the Vermont board!)
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You might want to hit Harold Parker in North Andover on your way down or back, it is right off 93. Miles of technical single track and the new lock and load trail is great

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by murph62903
    You might want to hit Harold Parker in North Andover on your way down or back, it is right off 93. Miles of technical single track and the new lock and load trail is great
    That could be a possibility... I've heard the name over the years but never been...

My girlfriend loved FOMBA so much the last time that i tought about going there on the way back... but HP might be a good option!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    .. Maybe ride at Otis? But i've never been and not sure if i want to deal with the army thing... Any advice?
    Don't worry about the Base , start from over by 151/28 and you will won't have any issues. , actually over by 151/28 is Mass Game and Wildlife property
    here is a map , not a great map but a map
    http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/MA/ma-otis_map.JPG

whaen are you coming down ? I might be able to lead you around Vietnam , depending when it is .
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been riding Otis for years and never ever have seen any military vehicles or people.

If you want a shorter drive you can go to Pine Hills in Plymouth. I think it's posted in the trails list for Mass. it's not huge area but good. if you're into it, there's some scary ramps and jumps but you don't want to be going to the hospital while visiting!

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Thanks everyone,

Seems like we've lined up a plan!

Friday: Vietnam or somewhere along 93
    Sat. : Trail of Tears
    Sun: Otis
    Mon: FOMBA

That way, the girls will really love TOT and FOMBA... so 2 great rides for them. We'll explore OTIS while some go try and surf..

As for friday, it's just to stretch our legs along the way... Vietnam is fun and tech... My gf didn't like it much the last time around... but i liked the techy stuff... We'll see how she likes it 2 years down the line!

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    I've been riding Otis for years and never ever have seen any military vehicles or people...
    Just after 911 I went down to Otis. I planned to park at the Game and Wildlife lot near the rotary. I missed the turnaround and ended up heading to the base gate. As I explained to the guy at the gate my intention was turning around I noticed a bunch of guys in full camo (face paint, sticks and leaves in the helmets) get out of their hiding spots on the sides of the road, rifles in hand pointed my way.

They told me it was OK to go back and park at that lot.

Already unnerved I went to the lot and started changing out from my street clothes. As soon as I got my pants down (sitting in my car) a Humvee entered the lot and more guys in camo with rifles surrounded my car.

They meant business and yeah, my pants were still down.

Once again, they told me I could park there -just not stay in my car.

That was the only time I uncounted the military there.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    careful of the great whites

.......seriously

I'll be in tot on sat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    careful of the great whites

.......seriously

I'll be in tot on sat.
    what time on sat,.. i have never been there and wouldn't mind tagging along with someone hopefully hitting the funnier stuff.. seems like whenever i go on my own to a new place i always get on the not so fun trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    what time on sat,.. i have never been there and wouldn't mind tagging along with someone hopefully hitting the funnier stuff.. seems like whenever i go on my own to a new place i always get on the not so fun trails.
    turns out saturday will be tough to get out. I am planning sunday morning
    8 oclock. parking at the exit 4 lot and will ride for about 2 hours. welcome to
    join.

Black Trek Remedy.

Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    turns out saturday will be tough to get out. I am planning sunday morning
    8 oclock. parking at the exit 4 lot and will ride for about 2 hours. welcome to
    join.

Black Trek Remedy.

Drew
    holy crap that is early... is the sun even up that early? i don't have anything going on sat night so i will try my best to get to bed early and meet up with you.. i will be on an orange ragley blue pig.

i though tot was off of exit 5... is the exit four lot easy to find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    holy crap that is early... is the sun even up that early? i don't have anything going on sat night so i will try my best to get to bed early and meet up with you.. i will be on an orange ragley blue pig.

i though tot was off of exit 5... is the exit four lot easy to find.
    when you have a 5month old son 8am is late.

yes exit 4 lot is at the entrance of the powerlines. opposite end of exit 5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Saw this a little late did you already go Eric? I'd recommend Harold Parker, also might look at Borderland SP (I rode the Nemba trail there and some others...its rocky and rugged, probalby not as popular with some in the group but you'd dig) You might also want to check out Yudicky in NH...some similarites to fomba...twisty, probably a little more tech. Might need some directions to do it well.