"The Freak Show"

Western Mass Riders

Hey I was just wonding if there is any DH riders in the Western Mass area? Im just starting to get back into riding after about a 4 year break due to loosing my left kidney while riding Mount Snow a few years back. Im looking for people to ride with or just some good DH trails to ride in the area. Any info would be great.

Thankx.
    Go big or go home in a wheel chair!
    Info on 2011 racing season

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hi

wow, sorry to hear about that accident, sounds pretty heavy. I don't live in w. mass anymore, somewhat unfortunately in Boston. If you don't mind me asking, how did this accident happen? I'll volunteer a bizzare accident I had a few years ago, and I'll warn you right now this is probably not for the squeamish: I was bushwhacking (hiking) alone down from Scar Ridge in the White Mtns. (it's one of the 100 highest mtns. in New England, a peakbagging list I'm working on) and slipped on a log while skirting the edge of a bog, and fell onto a spruce log that had a sharpened branch sticking out which pierced through my pants and tore open my scrotum. I didn't have a cell phone or anything like that and of course was pretty freaked out, and had to hike 3 miles to my car while holding my sac so that my testicular fortidude would not fall out. I then drove down I93 and went to the nearest hospital I knew of in Plymouth,NH and they sewed me up right with 15 stitches, no long term effects or anything like that. Who knew you should wear a cup while hiking? Anyway I apoligize for the digression, maybe some other people would like to post other bizzare gardening accident stories (Spinal Tap reference) to while away some time until the weather gets warmer and trails get nicer.

To get back on topic, when I did live in western Mass (actually Stephentown, NY - right across the border from Hancock, MA - home of Jiminy Peak) I loved to go on epic rides on the Taconic Crest Trail system and in Pittsfield state forest. I haven't been back to ride there in several years and miss it so, you're lucky to live in a great area for trails.

mtbr member
    Pete Vangel...you may have heard of him...he and his buddies did a lot of the trails at Jiminy. Also, the guys at the bike shop in Holyoke (the one at the hardware store...I forget the name). I used to live in South Hadley, but ironically never got into DH until I moved to Phoenix.
    "I like bikes!"

"The Freak Show"
    Sweet thanks for the info. As far as my "Little" crash goes I was at Mount Snow only a few days after the 9-11 attacks and was on my last DH run of the day. The trail ended out on the dirt road that runs up the whole mountain. Well we said screw it and wanted to see how fast we could go down this road. Well I was going balls out down this road that had new dirt water drainage humps in it. I was using them as jumps all the way down untill I tryed to go big off a set of 4 humps in a row and while I was in the air my front tire fell off. After that I dont really know what happend. I know that some how my handle bars stuck into my left kidney and split it in 2. I also dislocated my right shoulder and broke my right wrist. So the hauled my broken ass down the mountain in the back of a pickup. Then off to bennington hospital. And thats my story of the "Little" crash.

mtbr member
    omg! that is one of the worst stories i've ever heard!

well, be careful will you be racing the norba at mt snow?
    "I like bikes!"

"The Freak Show"
    Yeah I hope to be at Mount snow if I can get enough money to finish puting my bike together. All I need now is a 24" rear wheel and I'll be ready to ride.

Three sheets to the wind

Tri-State

I line in the northeast corner of Dutchess County, New York, at the border of Connecticut and Massachusetts. I ride almost every wekend at Plattekill Mountain in Roxbury, New York. Try it, you'll like it. Another great place I go to upstate is Whitface Mounation, it's big and fast.