Thread: Western Mass

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Western Mass

Who wants to ride Skinner? Live close to Mt. Holyoke range.

mtbr member
    Skinner is a ***** of a ride. Its OK if you hang out on the outside and head towards Lithia Springs. I recommend Lithia Springs area riding, but skinner is a bit steep.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom
    Skinner is a ***** of a ride. Its OK if you hang out on the outside and head towards Lithia Springs. I recommend Lithia Springs area riding, but skinner is a bit steep.

What the heck are you talking about??? This guy is looking to ride Earl's trails-which are a blast, smooth and super flowy trails with some good switchback style climbs and long descents-It's not a **** (what ever that is) ride at all. Actually, it's one of the more pleasant and inviting rides in the valley-hilly, of course, like everywhere else, but pretty accessible.

You might want to post up and ask someone to take you for a ride up there as well-I think the Ludlow Reservoir might start to steadily drop in your 'favorite places to ride' list shortly thereafter.

mtbr member
    Really? I never heard of Earl's trails to be honest. Now that you say that, sure, I'd love to see what you are talking about. (*** = bi*tch of a ride lol).

I parked below skinner Mt. and hit some trails, ended up on a hill overlooking Lithia Springs. It was a hell of a workout, just alot of hiking/biking if you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Also - I am not a huge fan of super smooth trails. I like them rocky, technical (IE Ludlow Res), but I'd still like to figure out where Earl's trails are. I live in S. Hadley so it's right in my back yard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Park at the end of military road (across from the notch visitor center.) Earl's start right there along the fence line. Great trails I ride there almost every Sunday a.m.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    uh, you live in south Hadley and you're driving to ludlow for rocky technical terrain.....you haven't checked out batchelor St?? (The other side of the holyoke range sf).

mtbr member
    Well the guys I ride with know the trails in Ludlow; to be honest I don't know the trails in my own town! I am going to hit Earl's trail this week somtime. Quite possibly Saturday PM, not sure.

I guess I have another spot I need to check out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Earl's

I have yet to ride Earl's Trails. I heard it was awesome and often ride with my 12 year old over off of Bachelor Street. Are there several trails out here, a loop or an out and back? I may get out there later this week. Can you get back to me describing Earl's. I'm up for anything!