mtbr member

Western Greenway/Belmont/Rock Meadow

Has anyone been riding the Western Greenway this winter? It's a short shot from where I live and was curious to know how it's riding since I'm thinking of braving this cold weather. Hopefully it just frozen and level as opposed to frozen and rutted...

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I live right next to it, but I haven't been out there in a few weeks. I'd imagine it's still riding very well. The ground is 100% rock hard frozen, it's going to be like riding on concrete. If you end up going out in the evening let me know. I'm always looking for people willing to brave the cold, riding at night solo sucks!

mtbr member
    I'm doing a day sprint. I much prefer riding solo when it's cold. As soon as I leave the front door all I want to do is complete what I set out to do and get home as quickly as possible. I much prefer the group rides when the temperature is nice.
    I just assembled this yesterday and it needs to be ridden because it looks sad with no dirt.
    Engagement present from fiance. Insane.

Greenway doesn't get much traffic so I expect it to be pretty fast and level. Just sitting here getting myself psyched for this (and waiting for the double digit temps to happen)
    I'll let you know how it's riding.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    That's cool. I probably won't ride there unless I have a reason to go, like a group ride at night. It's pretty boring to me for the most part, I stick to the more techy stuff most of the time. But if I'm desperate to spin I'll hop on the green belt stuff.

mtbr member
    word. it's basically aerobic exercise.

mtbr member
    The conditions are pretty good in there. There are still some downed trees from Sandy on one of the more fun sections between the parking lot and metropolitan Ave. (You can see on the map below where I stopped and turned around.)
    After that some people definitely rode in there when it was too soft and there are some frozen tire ruts in spots from Mill St. to Trapelo. A few spots with some crusty snow and it's without the overgrown summertime brush...

For anyone interested in riding it, here's the route I did: