mtbr member
    Nov 2005

West Brookfield area MTB rides?

Anyone out there know of decent trails near West Brookfield? I've been out to Amherst before, but want soemthing close to home. Leominster State Forest is always nice, but a haul. Any ideas?

RIDE TO LIVE
    Wells State Park in Sturbridge is a great place for MTB'ing. We ride there often. There is another spot nearby that is very technical. Let me know if you want to try it sometime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV2RYD
    Wells State Park in Sturbridge is a great place for MTB'ing. We ride there often. There is another spot nearby that is very technical. Let me know if you want to try it sometime.
    I'd definitely be up for it. I've been over there in Wells, a long time ago, long enough where I wouldn't remember where to go. The other area you mention, is it across Rt 49? If so, I did that 3 years ago during a heat wave in July. We got a little turned around in there, but it was neat. I'd imagine the trails are sloppy now, but PM me if you have any rides planned, thanks....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i always liked wells tho its small with limited trails. it has some challenge to it. i think people dont bother with it cuz it IS so limited. actually this is the best time to go there--minus snow-- cuz you can do the "foot only" trails as well. when the campground is open its a no-no, i guess. didnt know there was other riding in the area tho--whereabouts? hard to get at?? thanks

mtbr member
    I always rode the hiking only trails at wells. Has anyone gotten any gripes for riding these trails? The only place I can think of that is close to Wells is howe park in Spencer. That place is smaller than Wells though I never really like howe park. There isnt much to the place.

Rutland state park has some pretty good trails. We usually start at one of the little parking areas right on 122. Not really sure how to explain it.

Also theres a little park in Oxford called Greenbrier (or something like that) its right on rt 12. Easy to get to and a good place for an after work ride.

Id think the brookfields would have better riding than coming towards Worcester or Sturbridge but I just dont know of any.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've ridden in Rutland, Spencer and Oxford, just wanted something in my own backyard. I use to live by one of the trailheads in Oxford - miss those days of seeing pavement for only feet rather than miles.

I have heard rumors of some trails in and around town, but nothing to go by. I'm going to try Brimfield and the area across rt 49 from Wells a little later in the season. Driving an hour to get to Leominster for early am rides is tough, well worth it, but still tough.
    ...Allrighty then!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    as far as riding on the hiking trails at wells--i once asked one of the rangers there about it--he more or less told me it was not a big deal--just dont be a maniac out there amongst the hikers--campers. that one downhill near the turnpike leading back to the camp sites is pretty steep and sorta tricky--they might not want a bunch weekend campers on thier dept store bikes getting hurt there, who knows. ive seen horse tracks and droppings on the hiking only trails, so i dont think bikes will pose much trail damage in light of that

rutland?--nice place that i will hit at least once a year--i like riding up the dirt road past the prison camp and turning to eventually get to interrvale rd. and following that up to where the midstate trail crosses it. take the the midstate all the way around into a big counterclockwise loop back to parking area near beach