mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Wendell SF Nov 12 (Sunday) Fun Ride!

Hey Everyone,

On Sunday, 12:00 pm (NOON to most of you) PV_NEMBA will host it's final event of the season at Wendell SF in Wendell, MA. Parking is Just after the Park headquarters of of montague rd in wendell. This is a Fundraiser specifically for the Wendell SF Conservation fund. Here's some info:

When: 12:00pm
    Where: Wendell SF-Wendell, MA ( Just to the west of the Connecticut River off of RTE 2)

Ride: Wendell is a Hilly, Rugged state forest of fairly ample size (8000 acres). Most of the Riding will be on single track with a few obligatory Fire Road connectors. The Trails range from fairly easy forest trails to gnarlier, white-knucled technical XC riding. There is ample climbing and ample descending as well. We've had great access in this park and have built around 10 miles of new singletrack over the last year and a half, we've also revitalized some of the older forest trails as well so there's quite a lot of great riding in the forest (with a lot more to come).

There will be two well marked self-guided loops (an advanced and an intermediate) to follow. There will also be at least one guided beginner ride beginning at 12:00pm. We'll also have a number of ride leaders available to host group rides as well if that's what you prefer (some of the local bike shops will be involved in this as well.).

The Post Ride party will most likely be at the venerable rte 63 roadhouse in Wendell.

Cost: We're asking for a 10.00 donation to the park that has been exceedingly pro-bike and desedrves some return love from the biker community.

Hope to see many of you there!

Any questions?? Just PM me!

Liam

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Liam: I am not local and will be tied up this weekend, however I visited the trails out there for the first time two weeks ago. Just thought I would say great work, they were a lot of fun and I hope to go back sometime I am in that area again. The NEMBA site and maps that were online were useful but I bet it would be really fun to ride with some locals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Any time, Josh. We all ride there a fair bit so drop me line (PM me) and let me know.

The Nov 12th Event should be a good one--This Sunday I'm scheduling a Trail Work day to get the place in good order (Leaves are hiding my fine trails).

I'm planning on handing out detailed GPS color coded trail maps of the Wendell Ride Routes at the event-nice souveneir to have!

Where do you hail from, Josh?

Liam

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am in the seacoast area of NH. I have friends that just bought a place in Shutesbury, just down the road from Wendell. I am sure I will back down to see them and will have my bike in tow. I thought it was this sunday initially but thanks for making sure I woke up and read the post.
    Last edited by JoshG; 10-18-2006 at 02:48 PM.

I like to ride my bike.
    K2 demo right?

Apaches? 6.0? 5.0?

Where the h*ll is Wendell?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ride faster,

Well-we have a commitment from the Regional Rep (he does Iron Horse and K20 and the Apache's will be the front and center bike in the K2 Line.

I myself ride the Apache 6.0 (one of the first I'm thinking) and find it to be the perfect tool for rugged, hilly western Massachusetts single track.

As for where is Wendell Sf.

Wendell-is a large Town in Western/ Northcentral ortion of Franklin County, MA. (land wise-not population) Off of RTE 2 right by the French King Bridge (rte 63 south). Just West of the Northern Portions of the Quabbin. From Boston on rte 2-probably take about 1.5 hours to get there (maybe less if you hustle). From Greenfield, MA it's about 10 minutes on Rte 2. From Amherst, MA it's abut 20 minutes due north on rte 63.

Heree's a link to the DCr Park map-direction can be accessed rom here as well:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/Wendell06.gif

Here's The Official NEMBA trail description written by yours truly:
    http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/wend..._forest_2.html

And Here's Some Photo Montages of Lovely Wendell:
    http://www.mtbadventureseries.org/mt...endell2005.htm

http://www.bikes-unlimited.com/bike/...-18/index.html

Night Ride at Wendell (yeah-that's me) http://www.bikes-unlimited.com/bike/..._30/index.html

person
    Hey weather and schedule permitting me and a couple of my friends should be able to gett out there for the event. Sounds like it should be good fun

-Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    Hey weather and schedule permitting me and a couple of my friends should be able to gett out there for the event. Sounds like it should be good fun

-Dave
    Awesome DAVE! Yeah, weather matters this time of year..but unless it's a down pour We'll hold the event (that includes snow btw). But Heavy rain will do us in.

Hope to see you there,

Liam

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well me and the crew got out with a back pack blower and saws and did some much needed trail work with more to in this wedek and next--things are riding great and looking great at Wendell-with a little help from the weatherman this should be a great day's ride--keep the 12th on the calendar!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    At 6 am on this very chilly morning me and the Wendell trail fairies got out and got some serious work done--several more miles of leaf/ debris clearing with the back pack blower (are you tired of slogging through knee-deep leaves yet in New England--come on out to wendell where the trail conditions are 'mid-summer!') and some much needed Rock work fine tuning. Dang-but the trails are looking good--still a little more to get done before next weekend (Nov 12th-12:00pm Fun Ride at wendell, MA see above postings).

Anyway-I love trail work--really, I do--very satisfying stuff---and I hope you all come out and sample it!

Liam

person
    excellent, im sure all the work will pay off in the end....Im itching to ride this weekend
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch