mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Wendell, after 10 years, you're still the best…(come out Sunday and find out Why!)

A few years ago, as we started developing more and more trails closer to my front door, I started dropping off on my visits to Wendell. But this season, through riding with my girl and helping with the copious amount of Prep Work required to get the trails ready for Tomorrow's Mountain Bike-Kona adventure series ride, I've reignited the old flame I have for this place.

1,. HEY, Wendell is 10 years old. Ok, it's older, but the great Wendell Mountain Bike Revival Started back in the Summer of 2004! By Fall we'd built the Hannah Swarton Trails, The Nipmuck Trail and The Maple Leaf. We hosted our first NEMBA event ride there November of 2004 using these new trails and slugging it out on the many old hiking trails.

2. Since then we've more than tripled the amount of biker-built single track in greater Wendell, plus we've enhanced, re-routed and reworked (and extended) many of the older, classic trails making Wendell a worthy ride destination.

3. Of all the PV places to ride…Wendell is the Best. OK, they're all the best (B-Street/ earls, DAR, CtS, Catammount, The Ridges, Robinson, Dubuque, etc), but Wendell is my favorite. Why?
    a. Because it is truly unique, I've never ridden another place like it anywhere. It has a great 'wilderness' vibe to it throughout
    b. Unlike a lot of areas that have lots of trails that are mostly the same, Wendell really has diverse trails: From the swoopy, New England xc downhill like the Nipmuck and the Newer 'Many Dog Run' Trail, to the Big, flat Rock 'stunty' trails like the Lookout Trails, the CCC, the $13 Trail, Two Brothers, to the pleasant, meandering intermediate oriented trails Like Toby's Tour and Sophies Run and the Hiatus, to the white knuckle true expert gems The Hannah Swarton's Remove and The Mormon Hollow Return trails (two of the best, and most challenging trails in New England…the Yang to the Nipmuck's Ying, if you will)-Wendell sports real trail diversity. The Loops that have been laid out for Tomorrow's ride will showcase this diversity in Full. From the standard, mildly challenging intermediate loop, to the Hero loop options that will bring out the expert in everyone.

All you valley riders who only haunt Earl's and Batchelor St (both great places, no denying that) ought to come see how the other side rides.

4. I mention all this because, one, We're hosting the MBAS tomorrow (Sunday) From 10am to 4pm and I'd love to attract as many would be bike adventurers as possible. And, two, Wendell doesn't get the visits and traffic it deserves.

Seriously, as more and more great places to ride evolve in the region, Wendell sometimes gets left out in the dark (even, by folks like myself who are longtime Wendell fans). That's a shame, so even if you don't make it tomorrow, schedule a ride up that way. Post up here or shoot me a PM if you want a guided ride. It's time to bring Wendell back out into the light of Day.

It's still the best.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nothing like your first, right Liam?
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ain't that the Truth!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ride Wendell quite a bit, yet I'm wondering if there is a map with trail names? Some of the above mentioned trails I don't recognize...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    We're working on it….Great event today, btw. Thanks to everyone who came out and rode our local hill!