Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    223

    Weeping Willow @ Willowdale....?

    Any info on this year's edition? Course? I assume it is bone dry out there. Other than the bikereg site there I don't see any info...any ideas when course route will be marked? Any Strava pre-ride tracks available?

    Thanks

    edit to title....
    Last edited by wgerow; 05-11-2015 at 09:31 AM.

  2. #2
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Up down twisty turny not techy. Rinse repeat. Dusty dry.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    I'm considering entering this - looks like there are still spots open. It would be my first race (male, 19-29).

    As a newbie, should I just default to the novice category? 8 miles seems really short, and I want to do the longer ride in Sport, but I'm worried my lack of racing experience might result in an embarrassing finish. Anyone wiser than me out there have an opinion?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    I'm considering entering this - looks like there are still spots open. It would be my first race (male, 19-29).

    As a newbie, should I just default to the novice category? 8 miles seems really short, and I want to do the longer ride in Sport, but I'm worried my lack of racing experience might result in an embarrassing finish. Anyone wiser than me out there have an opinion?
    If you think 8 miles is short and have decent fitness I wouldn't be worried about getting embarrassed. You will probably do fine. Just start on the rear and as peopel blow up you can pass them

  5. #5
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    If you think 8 miles is short and have decent fitness I wouldn't be worried about getting embarrassed. You will probably do fine. Just start on the rear and as peopel blow up you can pass them
    Starting at the rear is about the worst advice you could give at a race like this. Once in the one track it can be a chore to pass. Get in the woods as far up as you can and see how things shake out. Passing takes extra effort.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Starting at the rear is about the worst advice you could give at a race like this. Once in the one track it can be a chore to pass. Get in the woods as far up as you can and see how things shake out. Passing takes extra effort.
    I couldn't disagree more with you newmarket. This will be this dude's first race. This race is full on bedlam in the beginning on that fire road....bad bad place for someone who has zero race experience........you are just asking for a disaster. The rookie likely gets hurt along with others. Bad advice you are giving in my opinion.

  7. #7
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    I couldn't disagree more with you newmarket. This will be this dude's first race. This race is full on bedlam in the beginning on that fire road....bad bad place for someone who has zero race experience........you are just asking for a disaster. The rookie likely gets hurt along with others. Bad advice you are giving in my opinion.
    Kinda funneh that you'd start a TR asking q's about the venue/race when you seem to know quite a bit about it already. You assume it's dry? Have you been outside lately? You'd get sent to high security prison if you even mentioned having a lil bonfire at the family reunion right now, lol!

    Anywho, yo newbie sport, line up near the front end of the pack so that you don't get caught in the $hit show that will inevitably occur when you send off 45 sandbaggers, 15 actual sport class racers, and 17 noobies that could prolly crush most sports and many experts, all at the same time down a fireroad with a bottleneck from heLl into the 1st singletrack. Just fvcking pin it. It's racing. Put yer head down and go for it. You'll be choking dust at the back.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Kinda funneh that you'd start a TR asking q's about the venue/race when you seem to know quite a bit about it already. You assume it's dry? Have you been outside lately? You'd get sent to high security prison if you even mentioned having a lil bonfire at the family reunion right now, lol!

    Anywho, yo newbie sport, line up near the front end of the pack so that you don't get caught in the $hit show that will inevitably occur when you send off 45 sandbaggers, 15 actual sport class racers, and 17 noobies that could prolly crush most sports and many experts, all at the same time down a fireroad with a bottleneck from heLl into the 1st singletrack. Just fvcking pin it. It's racing. Put yer head down and go for it. You'll be choking dust at the back.
    Just like over on TGR you are the resident genius on everything

    As the resident genius please enlighten us on this years course route

    Many thanks

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I have a lot of concerns with going Sport - fitness isn't one of them, exactly.

    Apart from my debilitating allergies and the race date at the height of pollen season, I've never done more than 7ish miles without a hydration pack. I'll be on a full suspension (light) trial bike (Specialized Camber), with just enough room for a small water bottle in the front triangle. Only 1 bottle cage mount. I'll have a tube and some basic tools under my seat.

    Does anybody know how this race is set up? Is it just 1, 2, or 3 laps of an 8 mile circuit? Will there be aid stations or other opportunities to refuel/swap out bottles?

    I could probably do 8 miles without a bottle (definitely wouldn't want to though), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do 16 on just 1.

    Then there's the issue of food. People usually wear Jerseys with gu packs in the pockets, right? I don't have any of that stuff (jerseys, etc), and don't feel like blowing hundreds of dollars just so I can race an extra 8 miles.

    Thoughts? And thanks for entertaining my stupid questions.

  10. #10
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Just like over on TGR you are the resident genius on everything

    As the resident genius please enlighten us on this years course route

    Many thanks
    It's a secret :-*

  11. #11
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I have a lot of concerns with going Sport - fitness isn't one of them, exactly.

    Apart from my debilitating allergies and the race date at the height of pollen season, I've never done more than 7ish miles without a hydration pack. I'll be on a full suspension (light) trial bike (Specialized Camber), with just enough room for a small water bottle in the front triangle. Only 1 bottle cage mount. I'll have a tube and some basic tools under my seat.

    Does anybody know how this race is set up? Is it just 1, 2, or 3 laps of an 8 mile circuit? Will there be aid stations or other opportunities to refuel/swap out bottles?

    I could probably do 8 miles without a bottle (definitely wouldn't want to though), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do 16 on just 1.

    Then there's the issue of food. People usually wear Jerseys with gu packs in the pockets, right? I don't have any of that stuff (jerseys, etc), and don't feel like blowing hundreds of dollars just so I can race an extra 8 miles.

    Thoughts? And thanks for entertaining my stupid questions.
    Pro tip-race beginner for this one and see how it goes. It's gonna hurt either way.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    That's what I'm leaning towards. Probably what I needed to hear. Thanks.

  13. #13
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    That's what I'm leaning towards. Probably what I needed to hear. Thanks.
    you'll hava blast. there's nothing like putting a number plate on and riding beyond yerself. makes you such a better and stronger rider. the next time you ride after this race you'll feel so good. careful, it can be addicting. if it becomes an addiction think of all the cool places you'll get to ride where you never normally would

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    you'll hava blast. there's nothing like putting a number plate on and riding beyond yerself. makes you such a better and stronger rider. the next time you ride after this race you'll feel so good. careful, it can be addicting. if it becomes an addiction think of all the cool places you'll get to ride where you never normally would
    Haha I used to say "I'll never race bikes!"

    I grew up ski racing, and when that career finally ended and I started chasing powder, I realized how much fun I'd been missing out on. I don't want that to happen with biking.

    But I figure I gotta try at least one, right?

  15. #15
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Haha I used to say "I'll never race bikes!"

    I grew up ski racing, and when that career finally ended and I started chasing powder, I realized how much fun I'd been missing out on. I don't want that to happen with biking.

    But I figure I gotta try at least one, right?
    you got it. it's a fun festive scene. mtb racing in ne is hot right now, especially root66/kenda cup. kinda like it was in the early/mid 90's. lots of cool races. nh 100k/100 miler, and bradbury 12 hour are must do's.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    you got it. it's a fun festive scene. mtb racing in ne is hot right now, especially root66/kenda cup. kinda like it was in the early/mid 90's. lots of cool races. nh 100k/100 miler, and bradbury 12 hour are must do's.
    Actually my riding buddies are trying to pressure me into the NH100 (kilometer). I'm about to buckle and sign up, but I don't want that to be my first time on a race course. Glad to hear it endorsed by somebody else.

  17. #17
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Actually my riding buddies are trying to pressure me into the NH100 (kilometer). I'm about to buckle and sign up, but I don't want that to be my first time on a race course. Glad to hear it endorsed by somebody else.
    do it! the 100k is the way to go as it's one big loop. the hundred miler just adds the beginning of the 100k race to make the extra mileage. boring

    i may do it on my fatbike this year just for the heckovit.

    i haven't raced it since 2008 and even then i hadn't raced at all that summer. off the couch on my full rigid 29er with baggies and a t-shirt to nab the expert vet win. by like 32 minutes

    results here:

    http://hampshire100.com/docs/Results2008.pdf

    just to give you some motivation^^^^^^

    if i do it this year i won't be signing up till the day before. it's just how i roll.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brian jra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    72
    I race with a hydration pack. Just saying
    Owner of JRA Cycles, Medford Ma.

  19. #19
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by brian jra View Post
    I race with a hydration pack. Just saying
    me too. always. i'd never be able to grab bottle with my eyeballs falling out of my head and my bike banging and chattering thru the woods.

    just went onto the nh 100 race info page. 33 mile laps? wtf? the stuff they cut out is all the real mtb stuff. raw, rugged, and non vermont and whatnot.

    no bueno.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brian jra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    72
    I have raced the 100 mile distance the last two years. I will not be racing this one. I'm with you. They took out the good stuff???
    .
    Owner of JRA Cycles, Medford Ma.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    I'd definitely do the 100k with a pack. But for 8 it might be nice to ditch it. Mine's pretty bulky anyway.

  22. #22
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by brian jra View Post
    I have raced the 100 mile distance the last two years. I will not be racing this one. I'm with you. They took out the good stuff???
    .
    ya sounds like they took out all the harder backcountry style stuff, the chunky stuff, the super steep stuff, the stuff where when you were flying down you were wondering if you were gonna lose yer front wheel in some random hole or smack a big basketball size rock that was hidden by ferns and grass. you know, the good stuff. stuff where ya gotta ride like a ninja cuz you had to make moves a few moves ahead all of the time. the stuff where all the kitted out ripped and shaven full carbon special-ed water bottle anti hydration pack fellow experts slowed down to a snails pace for the last 40 miles of the race so that us edgy who gives a fvck full rigid hard tail t shirt guys could get to the finish line 1st and drink up all the beer. ya, that stuff

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    I'd definitely do the 100k with a pack. But for 8 it might be nice to ditch it. Mine's pretty bulky anyway.
    Last time I did weeping willow there was a place to grab bottles at the end of each lap.

  24. #24
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    I'd definitely do the 100k with a pack. But for 8 it might be nice to ditch it. Mine's pretty bulky anyway.
    plenty of frequently placed aid stations along the nh100 course. like every 6-8 miles if i remember correctly. i think i stopped at nearly every one. in a race like that i keep a coupla/few gu's duct taped to my top tube and cookies in my shorts just in case.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    669
    dangur,
    definatley do the novice class. if for some reason your tear the wheels of your bike and get top three then probably do one more race and if you top three in that one move up to sport. it is really difficult to judge the classes because by the time most people move up they are already really competitive in the next. it is like they are afraid of not being at the front for a season.

    one water bottle will be fine for the one lap. I have an epic that only has one bottle holder also but I also put one on the seat post which helps for the races that have a little longer lap.

    newmarketrog,
    last years nh100 course was absolutely brutal.... in a awesome way. they had a bunch of new singletrack they cut in the beginning and some sometime after the railroad bed which was also tough. I remember one particular section where I literally couldn't tell where the trail went it was just a sea of rocks with leafs and roots all over them.

    from my times and most people who have done the course before it added somewhere between 30-45 minutes for the 100k version. I definitely wanted to go out and get some redemption and am super bummed out they dumbed the course down. they had a lot of complaints of the course being to hard, maybe if people complain again they will put it back to the tougher version.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Willowdale Ready yet???
    By jekyll2003 in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 05:53 AM
  2. Willowdale [oo]<
    By Pedalphile in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
  3. Willowdale
    By Tackle in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM
  4. Willowdale
    By basso4735 in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 02:11 PM
  5. Willowdale Conditions
    By Stop Drop N Roll in forum Massachusetts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Can't find it? Just search our site!