Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Listen! W E S T E R N M A S S Pioneer Valley

I see a lot of threads and topics for Boston and some scattered threads for specific places in Western MA.

This thread is for MTBers who know how to pronounce the letter R, went to Springfield Indians and Falcons games, have gotten free tickets to the Big E in grade school, maybe raced BMX at Whip City, love the Holyoke St. Patricks Parade, knows Agawam and West Side play every Thanksgiving, have watched Ray Hershel on the news for decades, etc.

BUT MOST OF ALL THIS THREAD FOR THE THE AREA MTBers WHO WANT TO THROW THIER BIKE ON THE RACK AFTER WORK OR SCHOOL, DRIVE 15 MINUTES TO NEW TRAILS AND RIP THE **** OUT OF THEM!

Post your ride destinations. Post pictures. Post Google Maps links to your trails. Organize rides. ETC.

THIS IS FOR WESTERN MASS AND THOSE WHO LOVE TO SHRED IT!

Lets hear about your rides:
    • Mt. TOM
    • ROBINSON STATE PARK
    • GRANVILLE MA
    • TOLLAND STATE FOREST
    • BEARHOLE in W.Spfld Westfield and Holyoke
    • Russell and Blandford MA
    • Camp Shepard trails in Wesfield
    • Dirt Jumping and pump tracks
    • Trails and jumps in Southwick
    • Northampton, Easthampton, Southampton, Westhampton
    • Hadley, Amherst, Hatfield, Pelham
    • Any where to ride and not get killed in Springfield?
    Last edited by DrewRock; 04-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yesterday I had a great ride that started in Southwick and Ended in Agawam at a News Center 22 broadcast tower.

The ride started by parking here: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...12,269.17,,0,0

There are several boulders blocking off the trail to restrict motor vehicle access. Ride through the boulders on to a lightly graveled narrow road. To your left you will come up on a giant old quarry with hundred foot cliffs surrounding you .

I stayed to the right of the quarry and followed a trail marked with a white dot. There was a VICIOUS climb after the quarry that i had to hike up. After that climb the trails were fun and exciting. Fast and technical, lots of short steep descents and an equal amount of climbs.

If you make it all the way to the broadcast tower, there is a metal tower that you can climb up and see a large portion of the valley. There are also some little obstacles to jump and rip your bike on before returning down the trail.

The ride is pretty technical. Lots of rocks, roots and sharp turns. The trails have small berms from ATV's that really help you avoid rocks and rip out of corners.

There are several points were you can stop and look out over the mountain and see as far as Westfield, and Sprinfield in the opposite direction. I saw FOUR hawks up close at the same time from one look out point!

ENJOY!

Below is my riding partner Tim and a view from atop the metal broadcast tower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W E S T E R N  M A S S   Pioneer Valley-0414111709.jpg  

W E S T E R N  M A S S   Pioneer Valley-0414111726.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006

Nice Start Drew

But Western Mass is lot's more than greater Springfield
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

As a matter of fact

Western Ma doesn't start til you hit the Berkshire county line!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There's some awesome riding in and around Hatfield, Deerfield area. Also Hawley State Forest is incredible. There seems to be some kind of weird "these trails are off limits" kind of vibe you might get from some people if you ask about riding in Hawley. Don't really understand it, but some friends and I have been working on mapping the trails with G.P.S. to make it easier for people who haven't ridden there. Get back to me here if you want to hook up and ride sometime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    DrewRock
    Do you live near that trail?
    My neighborhood is right below the cliff / tower where you turned around. We call this trail Provin Mt, it's part of the Metecomet. You can easily ride it from various points in CT all the way to Robinson. Shoot me off a PM is you want to ride sometime.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by DrewRock
    Yesterday I had a great ride that started in Southwick and Ended in Agawam at a News Center 22 broadcast tower.

The ride started by parking here: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...12,269.17,,0,0

There are several boulders blocking off the trail to restrict motor vehicle access. Ride through the boulders on to a lightly graveled narrow road. To your left you will come up on a giant old quarry with hundred foot cliffs surrounding you .

I stayed to the right of the quarry and followed a trail marked with a white dot. There was a VICIOUS climb after the quarry that i had to hike up. After that climb the trails were fun and exciting. Fast and technical, lots of short steep descents and an equal amount of climbs.

If you make it all the way to the broadcast tower, there is a metal tower that you can climb up and see a large portion of the valley. There are also some little obstacles to jump and rip your bike on before returning down the trail.

The ride is pretty technical. Lots of rocks, roots and sharp turns. The trails have small berms from ATV's that really help you avoid rocks and rip out of corners.

There are several points were you can stop and look out over the mountain and see as far as Westfield, and Sprinfield in the opposite direction. I saw FOUR hawks up close at the same time from one look out point!

ENJOY!

Below is my riding partner Tim and a view from atop the metal broadcast tower.

mtbr member
    Once I loose the cast, I wanna hit some different stuff in W. Mass. Currently I ride a ton in Ludlow
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot
    Western Ma doesn't start til you hit the Berkshire county line!
    Maybe so, I do know Eastern Mass starts where area code 413 stops...
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36
    There's some awesome riding in and around Hatfield, Deerfield area. Also Hawley State Forest is incredible. There seems to be some kind of weird "these trails are off limits" kind of vibe you might get from some people if you ask about riding in Hawley. Don't really understand it, but some friends and I have been working on mapping the trails with G.P.S. to make it easier for people who haven't ridden there. Get back to me here if you want to hook up and ride sometime.

Since you're asking for it, I'll start. Pretty please DO NOT GPS the trails in Hawley. There's not much riding there anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36

Really? Still on this kick? C'mon, Man, that's so 2010!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ludlow?

Where in Ludlow? Do you mean Facing Rock Wildlife Management Area? I haven't been there in a few years. Are the trails in good shape? I used to park at the end of Bridle Rd. That place has great potential for fun, technical singletrack. Most of the trails I'm aware of are doubletrack or jeep roads and some washed out sections.

mtbr member
    Yup, you know where it is. Double track, washed out, rocky, technical, perfect for what I like !
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice to see yall posting. Anybody ever ride in Granville?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I haven't started to get wendell ready for the season....but in about two weeks Wendell will take it's place along side B-street as one of the main places to be in western, MA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro
    Since you're asking for it, I'll start. Pretty please DO NOT GPS the trails in Hawley. There's not much riding there anyway.
    See what I mean, DrewRock. Anyway let me know if you want to ride. I'll be happy to show you around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewRock
    BUT MOST OF ALL THIS THREAD FOR THE THE AREA MTBers WHO WANT TO THROW THIER BIKE ON THE RACK AFTER WORK OR SCHOOL, DRIVE 15 MINUTES TO NEW TRAILS AND RIP THE **** OUT OF THEM!

F*CK YEAH!!!!!

mtbr member
    I second this post!!!! HELL YEAH!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    I haven't started to get wendell ready for the season....but in about two weeks Wendell will take it's place along side B-street as one of the main places to be in western, MA.
    Cannot wait!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Went out to the Holyoke Range today. I parked in a dirt parking lot on Batchelor St. in Granby MA. HERE: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...ed=0CBcQ8gEwAA

AWESOME RIDING! The trails are fun and have a lot of flow. Some trails are easy, some are very technical. The trails are well maintained and have lots of jumps, bridges, and streams to rip through.

I met up with some guys who were friendly and great riders.

mtbr member
    Great riders? At B street? Ain't that the place full of yahoos, clowns, rejects, and wheelchair accessible trails?

Last I checked, it's also the A1 spot for high school parking lot sex.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    Great riders? At B street? Ain't that the place full of yahoos, clowns, rejects, and wheelchair accessible trails?

Last I checked, it's also the A1 spot for high school parking lot sex.
    Agreed. Nothing to see there, move along.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Took a 4 hour walk removing twigs and stuff from about 1/2 of Wendell today. No riding for a least another week. P L E A S E.

Some horse and/or ass post holed the Maple Leaf Trail from Saxon Bridge Rd to the Swamp before they decided they shouldn't be on the trail... Amazing what a furrow a hoof can cut when it slides 18" in soft earth.
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Post Up Your Pics!

achiever
    Earl's

EarlsJason

More Earl's

glennabellabeam

B-street

Img_0385